Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] FIreStarter - OpenBox  (Read 8959 times)

farinet

[EN] FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #15 on: 2013/07/21, 05:35:43 »
Quote from: "sqlpython"
@farinet
 You could do far worse then emulating a #! platform.
I am Huge Crunchbang fan and have it installed On a machine.
  Once Fluxbox is configured I find it light and quick. In fact for those with imagination Fluxbox can be really Artistic in presentation.
I hope you post some of your examples once your are satisfied with the work.

Just a question: Did you stick with lightdm? I changed to slim ... Seemed to me even faster (and easier to configure ;) ).

[EDIT]Add on question: Which filemanager do you use? If qtfm, are you aware of some good instructions how to customize user defined actions. I do not really succeed in configuring:

- open file as root (in an editor of your choice, in my case geany)
- open terminal here (=directory where qtfm is actually)
- open terminal here as root
- inegrate catfish to qtfm

I know that's pretty much like what PCManFM does - or Thunar ... [/EDIT]

Offline convbsd

• User
FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #16 on: 2013/07/21, 09:08:18 »
Hello there

When new siduction-settings will be available/ready users will have a playground to experiment with new Desktop Environments / Window Managers.
We'll try to make available for testing a Siduction Xorg iso and users can add there any packages using a package list file.
Of course it would be great if experiment results will be shared in the forum.

Thank you

Offline michaa7

• User
FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #17 on: 2013/07/21, 11:21:06 »
sounds great. TIA
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

farinet

FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #18 on: 2013/07/21, 15:23:59 »
Phantastic! I'll for sure report back when i've the fluxbox setup at a descent state . . . I think i'm on a good way ;)

Offline DeepDayze

• User
FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #19 on: 2013/07/21, 17:05:21 »
I tried out the new SLiM on an AntiX install..its much better nowadays for using with flux or even ICEwm. While LightDM is pretty solid I find it a tad hard to get things like policykit (for mounting devices where it'll ask for the admin PW) with flux

sqlpython

FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #20 on: 2013/07/22, 05:43:36 »
Just a question: Did you stick with lightdm? I changed to slim ... Seemed to me even faster (and easier to configure  ).

Yes I did... used slim with CrunchBang but moved away due theme advanvantages.

[EDIT]Add on question: Which filemanager do you use? If qtfm, are you aware of some good instructions how to customize user defined actions. I do not really succeed in configuring:

- open file as root (in an editor of your choice, in my case geany)
- open terminal here (=directory where qtfm is actually)
- open terminal here as root
- inegrate catfish to qtfm

I know that's pretty much like what PCManFM does - or Thunar
 Using thunar or PCmanFM myself. Correct me if I am wrong but if using qtfm don't you then need another app such as GiGolo to control Network connections. Whereas with Thunar or PCmanFM you can do this directly. As well as all of the open functions that you list above..

farinet

FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #21 on: 2013/07/23, 11:00:23 »
May be it's wrong thinking, but i thought it would be better to stick with qt-native (if this is the correct term??). Otherwise, why PCMan makes the effort to write a PCManFM-qt??

Since you seem to be very able with fluxbox: I tried to set xscreensaver in my ~/.xinitrc but apparently to no effect (?) Only when i set in ~/.fluxbox/startup it starts as expected. Is there any reason why? Xinitrc not used anymore? Or is there some other init file which refers (or not) to ~/.xinitrc?

In the instructions of xscreensaver, i only found a hint to start it from gdm, but nothing referring to how to do that with slim ...

TIA for your patience.

sqlpython

FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #22 on: 2013/07/25, 16:56:34 »
May be it's wrong thinking, but i thought it would be better to stick with qt-native (if this is the correct term??). Otherwise, why PCMan makes the effort to write a PCManFM-qt??

Logically, I would agree. As the QTfileManager does not need the liabraries from what I have read. However the network capabilities are of QTFM are sorely lacking.
  Regarding PCManFM-qt if I am using a gtk environment then I would stick to the PCmanFM default.

Since you seem to be very able with fluxbox: I tried to set xscreensaver in my ~/.xinitrc but apparently to no effect (?) Only when i set in ~/.fluxbox/startup it starts as expected. Is there any reason why? Xinitrc not used anymore? Or is there some other init file which refers (or not) to ~/.xinitrc?

Can't comment As I didn't look a xscreensaver. Did not present me with any problems regarding My Setup.

In the instructions of xscreensaver, i only found a hint to start it from gdm, but nothing referring to how to do that with slim ...

I will see want I can find but again for me it simply worked.

farinet

FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #23 on: 2013/07/26, 07:21:20 »
So, i've my setup pretty much working even configuring out how to have a better font rendering (i followed this nice link, using example 1).

Login/display manager: slim, window/desktop manager: fluxbox. Here a screenshot (as you see i stole a lot of crunchbang ;) ):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q63ncc33ioo6x4n/screenshot1.png?m

(I hope that works for you; not so familiar with dropbox ;) ).

sqlpython

FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #24 on: 2013/08/03, 18:45:53 »
Hey! Good One. Gives me a sense of Deja Vu'
 Looks exactly like a #! Desktop that I had altered for daily use in 2011.. I liked the look then and now.

farinet

FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #25 on: 2013/08/10, 00:06:36 »
Hei, i tweaked it a bit here and there, now it looks like this, and i'm somewhat satisfied with it:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34100936/screenshot-13-08-10_00-03.png

sqlpython

FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #26 on: 2013/08/27, 05:01:13 »
@farinet
 Sorry, Been off this forum a bit..
Congrats, on arriving at a Balanced Fluxbox with a touch of #!.. I like it.

Have you been using OpenBox much?
When using tint2 with OpenBox tint2 is giving me fits. Yet works well with Fluxbox.
When in Siduction with OpenBox tint2 crashes as it changes Desktops.
I am Up To Date kernel 3.10.9...
Tint2 starts only at beginning of OpenBox Autostart script.
I have uninstalled and installed tint2 many times but continue to have tint2 woes when used with OpenBox but not FluxBox..
I have systematically eliminated most all of the start up items in the OpenBox AutoStart script but to no avail..

sqlpython

FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #27 on: 2013/08/27, 06:01:07 »
So, I turned back to FluxBox.
Below are links to a Clean and Dirty Desktop.
Some might consider both Dirty.
 ..But let's keep an Open Mind to Art.
Look at this DE for it's Color & Balance, carefully choosen.
The Colors as well as the fonts were considered for weight, color & balance.
The fabric on the model, color of the wood the window decorations.
 Note that I have a tint2 on the top and as evident in the Dirty SCROT I show the a minimal AutoHide FluxBox Bar with a Tray containing a ClipBoard, Battery, Volume & nm-applet..

I would like to believe that Johannes Vermeer (Woman in Blue Reading a Letter) might take pity on my clumsey attempt and say that I have shown some promise. heh heh

Anyway examine my FluxBox attempt ... but no touching. ;^)

<Clean>
http://db.tt/8As6rQTd

<Dirty>
http://db.tt/WDUDbMjw