Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Benefits of siduction from DE forum -- About Stability  (Read 18393 times)

Offline michaa7

• User
[EN] Re: Benefits of siduction from DE forum -- About Stability
« Reply #30 on: 2014/07/10, 23:28:46 »
Hmmm...in the forums of another distro for users tracking Sid, the suggestion is just the opposite...do not upgrade on a daily basis.

I'd say it depends what you want to achieve:

(1) You don't like to spent time upgrading your system: So d-u on a monthly basis or less. Note: This is ***NOT*** recommended, although in most circumstances there won't be problems. But you may miss dozens of little changes or big package transitions which then accumulate to a mess. Noone may help you then.

(2) If you want to minimize your efforts, then d-u once, twice within two weeks. You'll be fairly safe.

(3) You need to be informed instantly about the changes in Debian/Sid (because you are a developer, a siduction mod or somehow interested in what's going on). You will d-u on a daily basis (maybe faking it by using the -d option). Or at maximum 4 times a day.

Whichever option you chose, in each case you should read carefully the apt-get * output (removed packages). And you should read the update warnings in the forum.

I am fakeing d-u daily and really dist-upgrade once/twice within two weeks. This way I'm always informed whether or not there are d-u problems. It's easier to then select a moment when all or most conflicts are solved in one way or another.

« Last Edit: 2014/07/10, 23:34:17 by michaa7 »
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: Benefits of siduction from DE forum -- About Stability
« Reply #31 on: 2014/07/11, 00:23:42 »
@UP2L8:
long story short - if you don't want update/upgrade frequently sid(uction) isn't really the best distribution for you. Sorry, but stable fits better in that case. (Its not about sid(uction) but about every rolling distribution)

to be true, this is not a message only to you, its for every one who think about driving a rolling distribution. Rolling has many advantages but also disadvantages. In case of sid this means: testing and stable are more tested, otherwise bugs getting fixed in sid much faster. so without updates on a regular base you are lost. Rolling needs to roll.
« Last Edit: 2014/07/11, 00:30:01 by melmarker »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

UP2L8

« Reply #32 on: 2014/07/12, 20:31:29 »
Hmmm...I never said anything in my post about my upgrade preferences.  I was merely stating that I have read differently about the update frequency when rolling with Sid.

I'll make one more comment regarding the daily versus other update frequencies.  The Siduction manual makes the following recommendation:  "...ideally once every week or two..."

http://manual.siduction.org/sys-admin-apt#apt-upgrade

which seems more reasonable, to me anyway, than daily updating/upgrading.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #33 on: 2014/07/12, 21:03:35 »
If that is reasonable for you, go with it. It is within the sane timeframe, even if something goes wrong and you need support. I myself upgrade 3 times per day, but my rationale (and the ones of the other devs) is a different one than yours. We need to catchbreakage when (or before) it happens. We prefer users to upgrade as frequently as is reasonable for them because it helps us to support them when needed.

greetz
devil

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #34 on: 2014/07/12, 22:39:35 »
Rolling needs to roll.

Hah -- very well said, @melmarker, and in fine English too!   ;D
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #35 on: 2014/07/15, 21:34:44 »
This make me wonder? Although I don't want to argue about the benefit of doing d-u frequently I wonder how that fits with a rolling distro with in practice two releases a year? If it is that hazardously to do a d-u less than every two weeks then it should be the same hazard to install siduction two weeks and more after every release. That makes it hazardously to do an installation and a d-u in 48 of the 52 weeks every year?

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #36 on: 2014/07/15, 21:52:10 »
That makes it hazardously to do an installation ...?

What hazard?  On the installation scenario, the worst that could happen is, it could break the new installation.  That's sad, but not really very destructive of anything important.  I've done a few of those "6 months after release" installations.  It takes time, but I've never had it fail to (eventually) come up to date.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #37 on: 2014/07/15, 22:29:36 »
vilde: its uncomfortable - but if all upgrades came en bloc it will mostly work - and our situation is far from ideal. But we make plans to change the situation and release more often - with not so big changes between the releases. The only thing about is manpower ...
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #38 on: 2014/07/15, 22:40:02 »
That's good melmarker understand what I mean.

I agree that it's better to do frequent d-u:s, but so far in practice it works quite good not to also. One practice is the few releases that makes most of the newcomers have to install a quite old release most of the time, do a d-u and most of the time it's working.  I have managed my mothers computer for maybe three four years now, maybe it's even longer, sometimes I,m not there for three month, it has never failed a d-u yet.