Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] review of siduction in distrowatch  (Read 4967 times)

Offline thomv

• User
[EN] review of siduction in distrowatch
« on: 2023/03/27, 18:16:43 »
Distrowatch has a new review of siduction (22.1.1): https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20230327#siduction It is quite favourable, just minor critcism (sudo, ext4 and btrfs, the possibility of installing whithout passwords), and has (fully justified) compliments to the devs and the forum.

Offline unklarer

• User
Re: review of siduction in distrowatch
« Reply #1 on: 2023/03/27, 19:03:04 »
Seems these people always put the cart before the horse.

Instead of first familiarizing themselves with a distribution in their forums etc., they first install and then look in the forum. That's why he can forget about sudo.   

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2023/03/27, 20:32:17 »
Seems to be good praise for the developers and the community. Sudo, hmm. I don't use it. Never even tried in Siduction. Do any of you use sudo? I prefer to just su-to-root.

Offline vinzv

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2023/03/27, 21:17:17 »
I'm used to sudo very much plus I have to use Ubuntu based systems for various reasons. Never seriously tried to change that habit, so: yes, sudo user here. 

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #4 on: 2023/03/27, 21:38:39 »
I always add my user to the sudo group, so I can download upgrades if I want to, while leaving the desktop up and running. Also it can be handy to edit a root-owned file without leaving X (or Wayland). But most days, when I boot a computer I first boot to tty1 and, as root, run the upgrades from there, then reboot to the GUI.
« Last Edit: 2023/03/27, 21:53:08 by dibl »
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline swiftgoose

• basket random
« Reply #5 on: 2023/06/22, 10:10:36 »
One of the most reliable working versions I've ever seen, in my opinion. I use Ubuntu-based systems since I need to and I'm quite accustomed to sudo. Yes, sudo user here—never tried to change that behavior really.

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2023/06/30, 12:55:40 »
I don't use sudo.

I appreciate a clear destinction between acting as normal user or doing something with root priveliges. That's why I do not recommend its use, especially not to new users.
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline Mte90

• User
  • KDE & Debian lover
    • http://www.mte90.net
« Reply #7 on: 2023/07/05, 11:27:54 »
I use sudo only with a single rule for a specific command that manipulate the /etc/hosts file.
Otherwise I have a single dedicate tab in yakuake with the root user already on.

Same things in all my personal machines with siduction, on others sudo is not used.

Offline charlyheinz

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2023/07/05, 12:59:13 »
I do it the very old way since years, using a terminal "su to root" and start mc, where I can do everything I need to!

Offline ReyFer

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2023/07/10, 15:25:18 »
Sorry for all the "superior" users that don't use sudo.......the problem is not using sudo or not, the problem is that if during install I choose to NOT have root and USE USER AS ADMIN, the distro should respect my decision and enable sudo because THAT IS WHAT I ASKED FOR DURING INSTALL.....now, "su-to-root" geniuses, do you get it?

EDIT: Sorry for the harsh language, it just irks me that people really seem unable to see that, if I choose "same password for Admin" during install, it is reasonable and logic to expect that to be the case
« Last Edit: 2023/07/10, 15:29:43 by ReyFer »

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2023/07/10, 18:53:34 »
I refrain from responding. Sorry or not!

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #11 on: 2023/07/10, 19:14:44 »
Same here. We do the work – we decide what we implement.

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2023/07/10, 20:31:00 »
Is there no way to grey out this option if you do not implement it?

I haven't done a new install since years, so I don't remember. But *if* there is a choice to select user to be root, then I can understand that he feels cheated. You should not offer something you can't or won't provide.

Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake