Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] NOX installation  (Read 6064 times)

dlalias2k1

[EN] NOX installation
« on: 2013/03/05, 08:06:14 »
Hi,

So I found the german notes on launching the installer.

root@nox> cli-installer

Is there a known issue with it?
I tried LVM configurations first, but those wouldn't boot.
I've even tried a simple ext4 partition on /dev/sda1 and after the installer finishes the machine won't boot, it says "No bootable medium found! System halted."

Booting again from the livecd and mounting the drive, I can see the os files (boot, home, bin, sbin, usr, etc), but it doesn't seem like grub is being installed in the partition or the mbr, (i've tried both as separate attempts).

Thanks

dlalias2k1

RE: NOX installation
« Reply #1 on: 2013/03/06, 09:04:34 »
No thoughts on how to resolve this? I feel like I'm missing something simple, even thought I've done console only installs before.

Offline der_bud

• User
RE: NOX installation
« Reply #2 on: 2013/03/06, 15:24:39 »
As I have no nox atm, this is just a guess: there has been a slightly faulty version of the installer not always updating partition schemes, thought it was fixed by now but perhaps not on your medium. So if you have working network connection, look if a newer version is available (apt-get update, apt-cache policy cli-installer). Perhaps the same with sidu-installer and sidu-disk-center, but not sure if they are shipped with nox. When in the installer you come to the point to chose target for grub, not leave just the default but chose explicitely if mbr or sdx. Hope that helps.
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline convbsd

• User
NOX Installation
« Reply #3 on: 2013/03/07, 15:36:08 »
Hi,

If you have installed nox from nox iso before installing please do a apt-get update and an apt-get install cliinstaller.
It was a issue related to not update new created partitions in installer.
Another thing:
Where have you installed grub in MBR or in partition?
If it was installed in partition you need another bootmanager in MBR otherwise OS won't boot. The safe choice is to install it in MBR.

Greetings
convbsd

dlalias2k1

RE: NOX Installation
« Reply #4 on: 2013/03/07, 22:14:39 »
Alright, tried:
apt-get update
apt-get install cli-installer
cli-installer

Installation fails and says I should look for information in /tmp/error_log.q1223
which just contains a echo of where I changed the timezone.

After digging around,  I found a hidden file called /tmp/.installer.error
which shows:
20-error copying to harddisk
Whereas /tmp/.installer.debug shows:
(some errors about sr0 being readonly and there being a recursive  partition on it)
rsync: read errors mapping "/usr/lib/libopencv_imgproc.so.2.3.1" input/output error (5)
ERROR - /usr/lib/libopencv_imgproc.so.2.3.1 failed verification -- update discarded
Rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1070) [sender=3.0.9]

I'm able to mount /dev/vg0/root or /dev/mapper/vg0-root after the install fails, so I don't think it's my virtualbox drive or anything.

Offline convbsd

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2013/03/08, 00:27:14 »
It might be an error with your's installation media.
Please check md5.

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2013/03/08, 09:06:35 »
I installed NOX on my laptop a month or so back. I used Gparted live disk to create and format a single partition in ext4.( and made it bootable)  I installed grub to the mbr and it all works fine so I don't think there is an issue with the iso.

Offline ayla

• User
NOX installation
« Reply #7 on: 2013/03/08, 21:40:14 »
Hi,

I can confirm titan's reply.
Installed nox 2 minutes ago with a fresh downloaded iso for testing on my laptop, to a single disk system, installation media USB stick, prepared with dd.
Used gdisk from live-media to newly partition a SSD with /, /home and swap.
Used mkfs.ext4 to format.
Was running cli-installer then and choosed mbr for grub.

After reboot nox now is up and running with no problems, no need here to update cli-installer first.

My guess: convbsd is right suspecting the installation media faulty.

greets
ayla