Siduction Forum > Scripting & Kernelhacking

[EN] Minimal system backup

(1/2) > >>

hamatoma:
I am making a script which backups a linux system with minimal space requirements.
The idea: Do not save the packages, save the configuration.
The following will be done by the script:
* save the list of installed packages: dpkg -l|awk '/^ii/{ print $2 }'|grep -v -e ^lib -e -dev -e $(uname -r) > packetlist.txt
* save /etc
* save /boot
* save /dev
* store system info: partition info, debin/siduction version
* save boot sectors from all physical disksDid I forget something?
On my system these savings need 70 MByte.

bluelupo:
Hi hama,
the user configuration in /home will not you back up with? So, for example, All "." files in $HOME. I would integrate it with in a minimum backup.

hamatoma:
Home needs to much space and I think that the backup of system and user data should be separated:
User data must be saved much more often than system data.

musca:
hello hamatoma,

the package list needs a lot of care.

I think with  "grep -v -e ^lib" you are deleting the whole libreoffice suite (and maybe more, that we are not aware).

Also i think about the packages loosing the state of being automatically installed or manually installed.
Is this a matter to discuss, or isn't it important at all?

What about dpkg --get-selection / --set-selection  or aptitude-create-state-bundle / aptitude-run-state-bundle ?

greetings
musca

hamatoma:

--- Quote from: musca on 2014/05/22, 21:27:39 ---
I think with  "grep -v -e ^lib" you are deleting the whole libreoffice suite (and maybe more, that we are not aware).

--- End quote ---
This is not a real problem: If a lib* package is needed by another the apt/dpkg command will install this automatically. If not it is not needed.
This filter avoids a long package list and not needed libraries.Note: the list will be used to add some packages to a fresh installed system. It need not to be a complete list of packages.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version