Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  todays d-u may break (some) gtk icons  (Read 3991 times)

Offline michaa7

• User
todays d-u may break (some) gtk icons
« on: 2014/09/03, 23:30:41 »
After todays d-u on 32 bit computer I have missing icons with gtk applications like thunar . reportbug (gtk) won't start anymore due to missing debian logo.

If you see this warning during d-u
(gtk-update-icon-cache-3.0:889): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

This likely means that your installation is broken.
Try running the command
  gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
to make things work again for the time being.
it's to late :( as running the mentioned command will fail: No such command.

It seems to be an older bug which only triggers during update!

EDIT:
I have no clue how to fix it.

If you won't wait for this package being fixed install "libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev" and run
Code: [Select]
gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
Thanks Melmaker
« Last Edit: 2014/09/04, 02:31:09 by michaa7 »
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
Re: todays d-u may break (some) gtk icons
« Reply #1 on: 2014/09/04, 08:41:58 »
Hello michaa7,

you can find out which package contains any given file with apt-file  (needs # apt-file update",  e.g. with cron):
$ apt-file search gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders
libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders

This result is from an amd64 architecture. You will have to use a different path.

greetings
musca
„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2014/09/04, 12:49:43 »
Hi musca,

1) thanks
2) one better searches @ packages.debian.org as "apt-file update" is APITA
3) the problem here was that the non-dev package is broken. It should have updated the gtk icon cache during d-u without user interference. This is a known recurring bug.
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #3 on: 2014/09/04, 14:31:40 »
:) - we should consider this as a long standing packaging bug - it would be interesting to know, which script call this sequence :)
and by the way, i'm affected too, did a d-u on my office LXQt VM

Trigger für hicolor-icon-theme (0.13-1) werden verarbeitet ...

(gtk-update-icon-cache-3.0:10705): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

This likely means that your installation is broken.
Try running the command
  gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
to make things work again for the time being.
Trigger für desktop-file-utils (0.22-1) werden verarbeitet ...

so installing the dev package should solve this, but i don't agree to see this as a proper solution :D
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2014/09/04, 14:50:56 »
...but i don't agree to see this as a proper solution :D
Neither do I. That's why I filed a bug report. Your invited to join it (= confirm the bug's persistence).

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #5 on: 2014/09/04, 17:09:45 »
michaa7: i will, but first a little bit homework. You remember my first advice: install it - and musca ap-file search. looking at this output i think the executable should be in the regular and not in the dev package. A diff to stable or testing will help - and after that i think i should write a patch.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2014/09/04, 19:50:16 »
... looking at this output i think the executable should be in the regular and not in the dev package....

THAT sure as hell is right.

And that's why your advice "install gdk-pixbuf" didn't work immediately. I saw the dev packages. But it seemed insane to *need* a dev package for some gtk icons to work.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #7 on: 2014/09/04, 20:13:24 »
it is insane :D

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2014/09/04, 20:16:20 »
Shit, you are right.