Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Solved: Ongoing Perl transition  (Read 3634 times)

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Solved: Ongoing Perl transition
« on: 2018/11/01, 01:09:54 »
Keep calm and don't hit <y> until the very most of the transition is done. The perl transitions are normally hard and fast - and this time a transition really can wreck a system and make it unuseble. So please be patient. REALLY!!

FÜSSE STILLHALTEN. WIRKLICH. ECHT JETZT!! Und die Ausrede, dass jetzt nen D-U notwendig wäre zählt nicht. WIRKLICH!

https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/perl5.28.html
« Last Edit: 2018/11/06, 23:14:14 by melmarker »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline slaughterer

• User
Re: Ongoing Perl transition
« Reply #1 on: 2018/11/01, 08:09:01 »
I was tempted,to press "y",but I managed to upgrade the kernel only.Lucky me,being logic.

Offline drb

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2018/11/01, 14:50:32 »
Is the following due to this transition?
Code: [Select]
Calculating upgrade... Error!
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libenchant1c2a : Depends: aspell-en but it is not going to be installed or
                           myspell-dictionary or
                           aspell-dictionary or
                           ispell-dictionary or
                           hunspell-dictionary
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #3 on: 2018/11/01, 15:08:20 »
libtext-hunspell-perl or libtext-aspell-perl i would guess

Perl is involved in much packages directly or indirectly - and direct dependencies are about 600 packages. so it will take a good amount of time to (re)build these. Add some extra hours until they are available on the mirrors.
« Last Edit: 2018/11/01, 15:11:24 by melmarker »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline drb

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2018/11/01, 15:15:47 »
Thanks!

Offline tranquil

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2018/11/02, 08:56:44 »
Thank you melmarker.  Your heads up saved me a little bit of time while cherry picking.   ;)

Edit:  Just distro upgraded my desktop and was able to avoid the perl transition stuff by...

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-mark hold perl
« Last Edit: 2018/11/02, 23:32:40 by tranquil »
Dual-booting Debian Stable and Unstable with Openbox window manager and Tint2 panel.

Offline DeepDayze

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2018/11/03, 23:41:04 »
On my end all the perl packages I need have been successfully upgraded.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #7 on: 2018/11/03, 23:50:03 »
There is only one reason not to give green light right now - just waiting a day for fallout 8)

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #8 on: 2018/11/04, 00:01:16 »

Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline axt

• User
    • axebase.net
« Reply #9 on: 2018/11/04, 00:12:55 »
No risk, no fun. ;-)

However, everyone should check affected packages on their system beforehand (via melmarker's link).

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #10 on: 2018/11/04, 00:25:47 »
With fallout i meaning built and migrated packages that refuse to work correct with the new perl - anyways - technically the migration is done, only some leaf packages have problems - there is no guarantee that the re-built packages work right 8)
« Last Edit: 2018/11/04, 00:36:06 by melmarker »

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #11 on: 2018/11/06, 21:43:08 »
It can be savely assumed that the perl transition is over for us. It sits at 99% done. You should be careful if you use Gnumeric or Postgresql-10, they could still cause trouble.
 https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/perl.html

Offline paxmark2

• User
Re: Solved: Ongoing Perl transition
« Reply #12 on: 2018/11/08, 00:13:40 »
In testing I got hit withhttps://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=912900Storable stack recursion limit probe in 5.28 seems overly sensitive   

but I suspect the Debian Perl maintainer will find a solution