Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] apt full-upgrade -- user processes still running, no quick switch to "init 3"  (Read 1400 times)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
I am asking the question on the English forum, but I would think some German speakers also wonder about this.

In the ancient sidux days, before systemd, we were trained to change to init level 3 to run dist-upgrades.  Since systemd was adopted, until this latest version 240-1, it was still possible to stop sddm, isolate the multi-user.target, and run full-upgrade with no user processes running.  Today with the new systemd version 240-1, it appears that there is no longer any quick way to shut down the user processes.  Whether the user logs out or not, there are multiple user processes running after a user login session.

Question:  Does it matter any more?  Is full-upgrade safe with user processes running?

Thank you.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline tommy2

• User
dibl, I guess I've been lucky and done it both in GUI and dropping into terminal 1. So far so good, could be walking on thin ice only time will tell.  ;)