Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Installation and Password Issues  (Read 4374 times)

vtpoet

[EN] Installation and Password Issues
« on: 2021/07/30, 19:13:20 »
Hi, just thought I'd try Siduction. My experience so far:

1.) Booted up live session. Got a phone call. Came back. Was locked out. No idea what the password is. Reboot.

2.) First installation attempt: I walked away to let Siduction install and when I came back I was locked out again (wasn't expecting such a short lockscreen period). Tried various passwords, again, but none worked. Figured it must have installed so I forced a power down and booted up. Tried to log in. You guessed it: Password doesn't work.

3.) Second installation. Immediately changed PW and turned off auto screen lock set to 5 min... (why?). Wipe and reinstall.

4.) Login password works but now administrator password doesn't work (despite having set user and admin password the same during installation). Probably not a member of sudu group because Debian.

5.) Currently asking myself whether this is all worth it...

vtpoet

Re: Installation and Password Issues
« Reply #1 on: 2021/07/30, 19:17:00 »
Update:

In the course of writing the post above (on a different system) Siduction invoked the lockscreen and, you guessed it, my password doesn't work.

I mean, seriously?

vtpoet

« Reply #2 on: 2021/07/30, 19:29:19 »
Third and final post. I rebooted but now my password doesn't work.

Have no idea what's going on. The keyboard was set to US Intl with Altgr Dead Keys during installation. Maybe there's a screw up in that regard but I wouldn't know because the login screen doesn't give me the option to see what I'm typing in.

Am wiping Siduction and moving on. Was trying out the latest Plasma version by the way.

For what it's worth, maybe setting the lockscreen to five minutes on a live session without telling users the password (who just want to try it out) really isn't such a great idea?

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2021/07/30, 19:31:34 »
Well, I agree the lockscreen is set way too short. But passwords after installation never vanished or changed ever. That just does not happen.

Offline towo

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #4 on: 2021/07/30, 19:33:31 »
For what it's worth, maybe setting the lockscreen to five minutes on a live session without telling users the password (who just want to try it out) really isn't such a great idea?

Open your eyes!

Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar

vtpoet

« Reply #6 on: 2021/07/30, 19:45:46 »
Too bad that information isn't available once one has booted into the live session.

Also, again, the session shouldn't be set to lock before Siduction has even had time to install.

vtpoet

« Reply #7 on: 2021/07/30, 19:49:32 »
//But passwords after installation never vanished or changed ever. That just does not happen.//

Okay. Whatever the cause, I can't login or unlock the installed session using my password. Them's the facts.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #8 on: 2021/07/30, 20:04:55 »
Caps maybe?

vtpoet

« Reply #9 on: 2021/07/30, 23:23:17 »
I think I may have a clue as to what's going on. I tried installing Ubuntu 21.04 after Siduction and I noticed that though I picked out the US English Intl Altgr Deadkey Keyboard during the install process, I was switched to the equivalent Spanish Intl Altgr Deadkey keyboard once I logged in! When I went to settings, I discovered that only Spanish Intl keyboards were listed under US English. I have a hunch that the same thing happened with Siduction, which explains why none of my passwords were working. The only reason I noticed was that Ubuntu allowed me to see the password as I was typing it in. My guess is that this is a Debian bug? Now I'm going to try installing Siduction again.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #10 on: 2021/07/31, 06:33:18 »
IT's for sure not a bug that anybody here ever ran into. If it happens again, please let us know.

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #11 on: 2021/07/31, 17:12:48 »
vtpoet, one more question, you wrote "Was trying out the latest Plasma version by the way". Just to be exact here, you took the new Plasma Future Version here with 5.22.4, not the standard Plasma Iso?
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.