Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] apt vs. apt-get  (Read 2342 times)

Offline michaa7

• User
[EN] apt vs. apt-get
« on: 2014/08/15, 15:30:23 »
Is
Code: [Select]
apt update && apt full-upgrade equivalent to
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade ?

Background:
You may activate a progressbar
echo 'Dpkg::Progress-Fancy "1";' > /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99progressbarwhen using apt. This comes handy when you do a neverending, boresome d-u on an usb-stick, exept there is no progressbar when using a-g d-u.
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: apt vs. apt-get
« Reply #1 on: 2014/08/15, 16:22:14 »
Is
apt update && apt full-upgrade equivalent to
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade ?

According to TFM, it would be "no":

[size=78%]     [/size][/size]  upgrade
           upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages currently installed on the system from the
           sources enumerated in /etc/apt/sources.list. New package will be installed, but existing package will never
           removed.

full-upgrade
           full-upgrade performs the function of upgrade but may also remove installed packages if that is required in
           order to resolve a package conflict.

What it does not do is install new packages released into your distribution, which d-u does for you.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2014/08/15, 16:38:45 »
What it does not do is install new packages released into your distribution, which d-u does for you.

Ok, thanks for pointing out the difference regarding new packages. It looks as apt were the dull version of apt-get.
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #3 on: 2014/08/15, 17:55:47 »
Hallo michaa7,

"apt upgrade" equals "apt-get upgrade --with-new-pkgs".

With both commands you won't accidentally remove packages, though you still need full-upgrade or dist-upgrade to solve conflicts that require removal of packages.

Let me rephrase it: Upgrade may seem save, but without full-upgrade or  dist-upgrade you will miss all updates that use "conflict" to replace unwanted old packages. If you continuously use "upgrade" then the number of missed updates will increase over time until the system breaks.

greetings
musca
β€žEs irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.β€œ  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2014/08/15, 18:13:22 »
Thanks for your additional hints.

There is no way to have a  progressbar or *whatever* indication showing approximatly where the d-u has arrived using apt-get? Something like "<#x> of ${# of all packages} unpacked" or the like would be sufficient.

I thought there was an apt-??? package adding this functionality but when I googled today I only came accross the above mentioned setting which is working for pure apt only.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #5 on: 2014/08/15, 20:12:51 »
why not apt dist-upgrade?
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2014/08/15, 20:17:00 »
You are right, seems to work (except currently d-u is generally broken), but it's not in "man apt".

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #7 on: 2014/08/15, 21:06:27 »
there are other missing parts in apt - bash completion don't work aka not implemented, some documentation issues, but it will evolve.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)