Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Wine Upgrade Includes New Library with Reported Bug  (Read 2322 times)

Offline tranquil

• User
Distro upgraded a few minutes ago on my desktop and along with a Wine upgrade comes a new install of libgdbm6:i386 which apparently causes issues.

Distro wurde vor ein paar Minuten auf meinem Desktop aktualisiert und zusammen mit einem Wine-Upgrade kommt eine neue Installation von libgdbm6: i386, die anscheinend Probleme verursacht. (Google Übersetzung)
« Last Edit: 2018/10/15, 01:10:31 by tranquil »
Dual-booting Debian Stable and Unstable with Openbox window manager and Tint2 panel.

Offline tranquil

• User
Re: Wine Upgrade Includes New Library with Reported Bug
« Reply #1 on: 2018/10/25, 01:36:17 »
I ended up allowing the new library to install after reading updated comments on the referenced bug.  I've not experienced any issues so far.

Ich habe die Installation der neuen Bibliothek zugelassen, nachdem ich die aktualisierten Kommentare zu dem referenzierten Fehler gelesen hatte. Ich habe bis jetzt keine Probleme erlebt. (Google Übersetzer Übersetzung)
Dual-booting Debian Stable and Unstable with Openbox window manager and Tint2 panel.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #2 on: 2018/10/25, 02:09:13 »
Just to make it clear again - upgrade warnings are about real bugs - not about packages that have known bugs and come with a new version - it's just pointless.

As of now we have  RC bug count: 564 | stable RC bug count: 811 | NEW queue: 332 - so one can expect some more RC bugs found within some days, some will be fixed in that time, new packages go in and will cause new RC bugs. So, please report real bugs here - bonus points for reproduce the bugs you running into in a clean and uptodate pure sid system and fileing a bug against the package in charge, after you have checked that nobody has done so - and if it is not a bug within a just running transition.

In this special case it seems that XTaran had found a real bug in a package that could hurt some users - can't verify it, maybe bash users who uses command-not-found could give feedback.  If that can be reproduced on sid(uction) systems i would say: Yes, noteworthy.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline tranquil

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2018/10/27, 03:25:52 »
How is the referenced bug not a real bug?

Regarding being able to reproduce on sid(uction) systems...are you saying that only Siduction users should report upgrade warnings here?

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #4 on: 2018/10/27, 09:52:58 »
It make sense that siduction users (and maybe sid users) place warnings about real bugs here. Don't you think so?

Real warnings are esp. things like:
* transition warnings
* things like: latest d-u renders application xy unusable
* package xy breaks $foo - known bug/bug filed
* package xy breaks things, keep calm, working version in incoming
* d-u want to remove packages, what to do ...

and such things - and i'm aware that much users use apt-listchanges and similar things. I'm also aware that the output is often misleading and hard to interpret for non-developers.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #5 on: 2018/10/27, 10:22:46 »
The bugs you can read from apt-listbugs during a d-u are commonly available to any/all sid system users who want to read them, and may or may not be relevant to a typical system configuration. My experience (8 years) is -- mostly non-relevant. I read them, but can't remember ever seeing one that made me abort the d-u. They mostly seem to be "corner cases" -- ancient special configurations no longer working after new package version installed, for example. That's what melmarker is referring to -- not to use this forum to repeat what anyone can read in apt-listbugs or the Debian bug tracker.

Here in this forum we are looking for actual or potential breakage of the installed and updated sid OS -- loss of xserver, desktop environment, graphics, networking, broken kernel modules, new kernels not booting, etc.  In other words, breakage not yet reported, that will affect many siduction users if they run the d-u. We have (apparently) many Vbox users, so you tend to see frequent reports about Vbox problems induced by a d-u. Commonly-used utilities (browsing/scanning/printing/burning/editing) packages also get attention if a d-u wants to remove or break them.

I hope this helps clarify the question.

aaaaaand, melmarker beat me to the answer!    :'(
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline tranquil

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2018/10/30, 10:54:43 »
It make sense that siduction users (and maybe sid users) place warnings about real bugs here. Don't you think so?
I don't disagree, but I would think anyone running Debian Unstable (aka Sid) would benefit as well.  I know I do.

Real warnings are esp. things like:
* transition warnings
* things like: latest d-u renders application xy unusable
* package xy breaks $foo - known bug/bug filed
* package xy breaks things, keep calm, working version in incoming
* d-u want to remove packages, what to do ...

and such things - and i'm aware that much users use apt-listchanges and similar things. I'm also aware that the output is often misleading and hard to interpret for non-developers.
I'm still not getting your point.  I guess I'll just stop posting in this forum and just lurk.

@dibl:  What you've said about apt-listbugs can sometimes apply to what is said here in this forum.  Experienced users can kind of figure out that something is not right when regular packages are marked for removal.  Coming here and seeing something posted about it is sometimes just an affirmation.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #7 on: 2018/10/30, 11:09:09 »
@tranquil - sure, we should include sid users, thats perfectly fine, but most of the time our warnings are about real issues like the following:

https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=7411.msg60165#msg60165