Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Hello, and here's a Nala bug.  (Read 13178 times)

Offline fams

• User
[EN] Re: Hello, and here's a Nala bug.
« Reply #45 on: 2023/03/06, 11:39:48 »
Today, I installed the gnome testbuild and the nala upgrade afterwards still hangs several times when a question was displayed in the background.
So despite nala is now version 0.12.2 the dialog bug seems to be still there?

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Hello, and here's a Nala bug.
« Reply #46 on: 2023/03/06, 17:05:48 »
Yes, I have no confirmation from the dev that it's fixed. But if you know, that hitting Enter will let you move on, it is not so bad.

Offline fams

• User
« Reply #47 on: 2023/03/06, 17:54:37 »
Yes, but it's nice to see (and have) the options when configuration files are updated.
First and default option is normally to keep the old file, but on my installation something went wrong an the default font was changed that it was unreadable.
I didn't take the challenge to elaborate the issue, just installed it a second time and used apt full-upgrade afterwards...

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
« Reply #48 on: 2023/03/06, 21:17:13 »
Well, what I do is to run 'nala upgrade --download-only' first and then 'apt full-upgrade' to see what dpkg wants to do.

Offline volitank

« Reply #49 on: 2023/03/12, 18:44:06 »
0.12.2 should have the dialog bug figured out.

If it happens again if I could get the /var/log/nala/dpkg-debug.log it would be helpful in debugging.

This could be a separate issue not related to dialog at all tbh. The operations in this part of the code are almost impossible to diagnose without that debug log, which is exactly why it exists. I'm hoping during the rewrite I come up with a better way to handle these cases, as issues here are currently handled case by case hard coding a lot of different things to trigger nala to switch from raw output and formatted output.

If it doesn't switch to raw during something that is asking for your input, that is what causes it to hang. There is probably another trigger that I missed or wasn't shown in the previous logs I received.

Thanks,
Blake

Offline WetGeek

• User
« Reply #50 on: 2023/03/15, 16:01:12 »
I use Sparky Linux on one of my laptops, and after installing that OS I attempted a nala upgrade.  Nala wasn't installed by default, nor could I find it in the repository.  After some research, I found a similar name, and decided to try that.

"The following NEW packages will be installed:
  nala-legacy
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 12.1 MB of archives.
After this operation, 44.0 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 https://repo.sparkylinux.org potolo/main amd64 nala-legacy amd64 0.11.0 [12.1 MB]"

Indeed, it was our nala, and I did a major upgrade with it with no dialog issues such as we've been discussing here.  But why is it available only as a legacy package?  I'll bet there's a very interesting story behind that.

Offline WetGeek

• User
« Reply #51 on: 2023/03/15, 16:28:52 »
I use Sparky Linux on one of my laptops, and after installing that OS I attempted a nala upgrade.  

I should have mentioned that Sparky is a Debian-based distro, and I'm pretty sure it's based on Sid.

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #52 on: 2023/03/15, 16:43:11 »
I thought it was something I did and originally saw it a few days ago. Today's upgrade brought a console-setup update which you need to interact with to set up. Ncurses I assume. The menu pops up but before you can interact with it the Nala interface covers it up. Just hitting enter brought through a broken ncurses interface but it continued on and completed. I just reconfigured console-setup after since I had no idea what was happening.

Has anybody else seen this? I tried to get a screen shot but screwed it up.

Offline volitank

« Reply #53 on: 2023/03/16, 04:31:45 »

Indeed, it was our nala, and I did a major upgrade with it with no dialog issues such as we've been discussing here.  But why is it available only as a legacy package?  I'll bet there's a very interesting story behind that.
I can't speak for Sparky linux, it seems they may not have it in their repos. You can follow https://gitlab.com/volian/nala/-/wikis/Installation on installing our repo and get updates direct from there.

For nala-legacy though, this was created for older distros that don't have all of the required dependencies. It basically is a binary that has all the dependencies statically linked. It uses a python compiler called Nuitka. It was an okay choice for distributing to older distros, but is no longer receiving updates. It had a whole class of it's own weird compiler bugs and was too cumbersome to maintain.

For why sparky has nala-legacy and not the regular nala, I have no idea.

Offline WetGeek

• User
« Reply #54 on: 2023/03/16, 06:54:54 »

For why sparky has nala-legacy and not the regular nala, I have no idea.

Indeed.  Sparky is a Debian Sid-based distribution.  I'm very surprised as well.  Thanks for letting me know about the origin of nala-legacy.  At least I can stop wondering about that.

Offline dieres

• User
« Reply #55 on: 2023/06/27, 23:39:29 »
On Distrowatch Sparky Linux is listed as debian testing branch not sid/unstable.

Offline vinzv

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #56 on: 2023/06/28, 00:19:11 »
Sparky has two kinds of branches: stable and testing based, but nothing based on Sid.