Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Cool Random Internet Stuff  (Read 12802 times)

KrunchTime

[EN] Re: Cool Random Internet Stuff
« Reply #15 on: 2017/08/19, 10:55:23 »
The Ashley Book of Knots and Macrame. working with rope, line and plating. Every practical knot, what it looks like, who uses it, where it comes from and how to tie it with 7000 drawings representing 3800 knots.

Published in 1944; free download in various e-book formats.

The Ashley Book of Knots

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: Cool Random Internet Stuff
« Reply #16 on: 2017/08/19, 18:53:42 »
Wow.

I do have a strange fascination with old books on seemingly boring topics -- that one is right up my alley.  I have a very old and somewhat damaged book from the American Civil War -- the front cover is gone so I don't have the official title or publication information, but the pages are titled "Cavalry Tactics".  (My GG grandfather was a Captain in the Ohio Volunteer Cavalry and owned this book.)  Here is a sample of what you can learn when you read this book:

http://imgur.com/4WXAz1k

There are dozens of pages of the maneuver diagrams, along with instructions on how to skirmish with the enemy.  ;-)

System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

KrunchTime

« Reply #17 on: 2017/08/19, 22:05:38 »
Military buffs and/or historians would love that book.

I wasn't interested in the knot book because it was old.  I was more interested in the knots.  The book was mentioned in a video on the BoredParacord YouTube channel.  I've become interested in the things you can make and do with paracord.

Edit:  Attempted to locate the book online, but unable to do so with the limited info in the picture you provided.  You should consider scanning the whole thing and putting it up online somewhere.  That book is certainly a treasure that would be valued by many.

Here are a couple of links I came across regarding the Civil War that I thought might interest you:

Cavalry Tactics: or Regulations for the Instruction, Formations, and Movements of the Cavalry of the Army and Volunteers of the United States

Numerous links to civil war info
« Last Edit: 2017/08/19, 22:53:44 by KrunchTime »

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #18 on: 2017/08/20, 10:56:36 »
I think that first link you posted must be an earlier version or volume of the same book.  It is very similar -- there is a section on skirmishing and a section on how to load and fire a pistol while mounted -- mine has those sections, but the page numbers don't match and mine has a special section on the Colt pistol, so probably mine is a later version or volume of the same book. On the spine of mine, it shows a title "Cavalry Tactics, Vol. 2".
« Last Edit: 2017/08/20, 12:31:05 by dibl »
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #20 on: 2017/08/20, 14:37:46 »
Yep, @piper, great job!  It is certainly the one in your third link -- the "Vol. II".  How interesting to learn about the old book that has been handed down in my family since my gg grandfather passed in 1909.  Here is more about him on my website:

http://landofthebuckeye.net/p1311.htm#i90

http://landofthebuckeye.net/ui229.htm

Thanks piper and KrunchTime!

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #21 on: 2017/08/20, 14:50:43 »
Nice pages, good read
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

KrunchTime

« Reply #22 on: 2017/08/21, 08:01:20 »
@dibl:  You're very welcome.

@piper:  Nice find; too bad you can't download it.

KrunchTime

« Reply #23 on: 2017/09/23, 08:46:31 »
Early 2017 Snowden Interview
Enjoyable interview IMO, although I think the title was poorly chosen.  Decide for yourself while watching the interview.  I love Edward's quote near the end of the interview.