Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [closed] Large GCC-5 TRANSITION, Heavy DIST-UPGRADE pending  (Read 80067 times)

Santa

Hi,

it's expected that tomorrow the default compiler for debian sid will be GCC 5
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2015/07/msg00000.html

in the pack comes a new standard library for C++ with a different ABI, this technical detail is going to make this transition particularly harder than other transitions.

Regarding KDE packaging I have been working with a person from debian and kubuntu's people to make the dist-upgrades safe as soon as possible. If you are interested in the technical details I made a few slides to sum up the KDE situation here at the "Akademy" (https://akademy.kde.org/):
https://gitlab.com/jmsantamaria-papers/gcc5_the_apocalypse

What to do to "survive gracefully":

Do NOT dist-upgrade after July 31 until you find here further instructions, we will keep you posted.

« Last Edit: 2015/10/02, 01:30:06 by musca »

Offline der_bud

• User
Re: [URGENT] GCC 5 fallout incoming
« Reply #1 on: 2015/07/30, 13:32:40 »
Short german translation  //  Kurze Übersetzung ins Deutsche

ab morgen wird in Debian Sid GCC5 als Defaultcompiler erwartet, siehe https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2015/07/msg00000.html

Neue Standardbibliotheken für C++ mit anderer ABI kommen da mit, damit wird diese Transition schwieriger als Andere.

Santa hat mit Kollegen von Debian und Kubuntu einen möglichst einfachen Übergang für uns vorbereitet, aber ganz ohne wird das trotzdem nicht. Ein paar Details dazu in der "Akademy":  https://gitlab.com/jmsantamaria-papers/gcc5_the_apocalypse

Momentaner Rat:
Ab 31 July NICHT DIST-UPGRADEN solange hier keine Entwarnung oder weitere Hinweise kommen!
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

jjjrrr3

« Reply #2 on: 2015/07/30, 20:27:53 »

Do NOT dist-upgrade after July 31 until you find here further instructions, we will keep you posted.

Do not dist-upgrade after July 31 at all or do not dist-upgrade after July 31 if I use GCC?

Santa

« Reply #3 on: 2015/07/30, 20:30:18 »

Do not dist-upgrade after July 31 at all or do not dist-upgrade after July 31 if I use GCC?

At all.

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2015/07/31, 13:16:28 »
@jjjrrr3
All of C++ code must be recompiled with GCC-5 using of the new C++ 2011 standards. The old libs won't provide what new compiled programs expect and vice versa.
Just give it the time to compile fully.
@my question: Is this also the case for packages using pure C but not C++ code?
« Last Edit: 2015/07/31, 13:20:41 by ralul »
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

tux

« Reply #5 on: 2015/07/31, 16:43:39 »
@jjjrrr3
All of C++ code must be recompiled with GCC-5 using of the new C++ 2011 standards. The old libs won't provide what new compiled programs expect and vice versa.
Just give it the time to compile fully.
If it compiled with GCC.

Santa

« Reply #6 on: 2015/07/31, 18:07:48 »

No, it's not the case for pure C programs.
The ABI breakage is in libstdc++, so programs not linked against libstdc++ (i.e. written completely in C) don't need to be rebuilt.

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2015/07/31, 18:20:59 »
If it compiled with GCC.
No, it is about the adoption of the new C++ version:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B11
No matter what compiler (if the compiler does the upgrade in C++ standards)
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

holgerw

« Reply #8 on: 2015/08/02, 11:43:25 »
Hello,

what does this mean for fresh siduction installations? I've a Nox with current stuff from 28.07.2015. Will I run into issues when taking this iso for new installations and adding X, kf5, lxqt and further software?

Kind regards,
  Holger

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #9 on: 2015/08/02, 12:29:32 »
You might run into problems installing certain softwares. Kdepim and LO are affected, but also many more. So your milage may vary during this period.

greetz
devil

Santa

« Reply #10 on: 2015/08/02, 13:02:08 »

Hi Holger,

Hello,

what does this mean for fresh siduction installations? I've a Nox with current stuff from 28.07.2015. Will I run into issues when taking this iso for new installations and adding X, kf5, lxqt and further software?

Kind regards,
  Holger

indeed, like devil said you may or may not have problems with C++ software. We are swimming into the randomness, it's a russian roulette. I'm a bit busy right now but if I find some time I will try to explain you the technical details in a way you can understand how this russian roulette works.

I have checked yesterday that, at least, Plasma 5 starts with the new standard C++ library. If you have some free time and you want to help us, one thing you can do is:
For each siduction flavour providing a desktop environment:
- Do a fresh installation from the indiansumer iso
- Dist-upgrade and make sure you have the latest libstdc++6 package
- Check if the desktop environment in question starts
- Optionally check if programs which you consider important for every day use (like dolphin and konsole in the kde flavour) start

If you get any program refusing to start and saying somthing like "symbol lookup error" please tell me as soon as you can and I will see what can I do.

Cheers.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #11 on: 2015/08/02, 15:02:27 »
Yeah, building all the flavours and testing them in the described way makes sense. This issue will not last for days but for weeks.

greetz
devil

Offline DeepDayze

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2015/08/02, 16:25:34 »
Yeah, building all the flavours and testing them in the described way makes sense. This issue will not last for days but for weeks.

greetz
devil

So then the best thing is to just sit tight until all the packages have been rebuilt?

Santa

« Reply #13 on: 2015/08/02, 16:29:57 »

greetz
devil

So then the best thing is to just sit tight until all the packages have been rebuilt?

Until further advice as I said in the first post, we are working on this to make it as painless as possible.

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #14 on: 2015/08/02, 17:21:47 »
If you look at all the affected packages down the left column of this page, and then look at the list of collisions at the bottom, you can get an idea of the size and scope of the job to make the complete transition.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO