Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  20 years of KDE  (Read 3819 times)

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
20 years of KDE
« on: 2016/09/06, 17:14:27 »
October 14, KDE celebrates its 20th birthday.

A 20 Year Timeline of KDE
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline Lanzi

• User
Re: 20 years of KDE
« Reply #1 on: 2016/09/16, 23:54:24 »
My first KDE was probably 3.3 and i worked for some years with 3.5.x
I really liked it. lots of good feelings when I think back :)

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2016/09/17, 01:46:23 »
I  still have mandrake 5.2  (leeloo) on cd with the floppy's, manual, etc  (kde 1.0 enhanced), back then mandrake was based on redhat 5.2 (apollo). I stopped using mandrake at version 9 (dolphin)

I have quite a few distro's with kde 1.0 :)

Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2016/09/17, 21:04:55 »
I used kde long time also, redhat, mandrake, suse, kanotix and so on but when kde 4 came it became to bloated for my purpose, I jumped over board and landed on xfce.

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2016/10/13, 21:07:18 »
What is the point of KDE, it seems to be in continuous development never quite getting there. Some of the K apps are very good but a lot come with piles of unneeded dependencies. It was good to see Digikam with the latest Qt5 version minimising it's KDE dependencies  and probably getting more users as a result, I started using it again a few months back I also use Kwin and  sddm but not much else. I recently thought I would try Plasma-desktop it looks OK but nested menus, twenty years of development and that is  progress ? I also added widgets to the panel but gave up trying to find out how to remove them, something so simple on any other desktop, progress, I don't think so. I stopped using KDE 8 years ago and don't see any reason to go back.

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #5 on: 2016/10/14, 01:01:21 »
Hello,
running a gtk2-based application in a gtk3-based GUI is nothing special.
But did you ever try to install a kde3-based application in KDE4?

Yes, dropping all existing third-party applications in favour of a new GUI is crazy, but it allows to renew all applications.
The newer is better, isn't it?

On the other hand all my favourite apps now are gkt-based ... Uh, oh!

greetz
musca
β€žEs irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.β€œ  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2016/10/14, 07:48:44 »
As a birthday present KDE 1 is re-released:
 Phoronix: KDE's 20th Birthday Celebrated By Re-Releasing KDE 1
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2016/10/14, 09:34:02 »
Danke der_bud  :)