BUGS > 2012.1.1

bugs, bugs, bugs!

(1/4) > >>

Drake:
Hi Folks

I downloaded siduction-12.1.1-desperadoreloaded-lxde-amd64-201206241921.iso with much excitement, but it was very short lived.

major bug

Usb modem is not picked up. it does not matter what I try to do to get it to be seen

I restart various services such as

network-manager  
udev
dbus

nothing works :(

No application will enable the modem such as

gprsconnect (I installed this one )
chat
resetting modem using usb-modeswitch

nothing works :(

major bug 2

The install-to-usb acts very weird

I have 2 usb drives  1 is 4GB and the other is 500GB and both are connected,I click on the install-to usb icon and it starts up BUT  it doesn't show the 500GB drive, it only shows the 4GB drive, the 500GB drive has a 4GB fat32 partition on it  and nothing else   ie just unpartitioned space. This is the drive I actually want to install into.

minor bugs

gparted that is on the menu does not start up ( I have to use the console )

TUX commander will not view a text file, it complains that "less" is missing (but it is not missing ) and it will complain when I hit F4 to edit a file.

When I issue the command  "sudo init 1" and then init 5  I get back to the desktop but ANY usb drive that I plugin is now not mounted (the window doesn't pop up and ask if I want to open the drive in the file manager ) BUT when I do "mount -l" they are show as mounted, but they are not.

I have tryed siduction on two different PCs and neither would see the modem and all bugs mentioned were present on both.

I really need my modem to work otherwise I might as well forget about installing siduction.

I am currently using Knoppix with LXDE and it sees the modem no problem.

Please help!

BTW   I love the desktop background picture. who created it?

devil:
To be able to offer any help, we need to know some facts.

* You speak of USB-Modem, but which one exactly?
(please use lsusb -vv for identification)

When it comes to your major bug 2:

*you are using the wrong method (I assume)

The install-to-usb is for mobile "installs". This creates a USB-device that holds the iso image (like if you used dd) and adds persistence and some cheat-codes of your choice.

With a 500 GB drive I assume you want a real install, like to internal HDD. Then the tool is wrong, it assumes 1 partition over the whole device. You want to look at http://manual.siduction.org/en/hd-install-opts-en.htm#usb-hd under the headline "Full installation to a USB/SD/flash (behaves as normal HD installation)"

* We know about gparted not starting, but it starts from within the installer.

* No idea on TUX Commander.

The wallpaper was done by Hendrik Lehmbruch (hendrikl) from our art team (see credits at the end of http://www.siduction.org/index.php?module=news&func=display&sid=135&lang=en

greetz
devil

Drake:
* You speak of USB-Modem, but which one exactly?
(please use lsusb -vv for identification) /qoute

Here it is

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 12d1:1001 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E620 USB Modem

its an oldish modem but works fine with no interaction from me on Knoppix.Ubuntu,Debian live cds

here is the output of  "nm-tool" on a working system

- Device: ttyUSB0  [Connection1] --------------------------------------------------
  Type:              Mobile Broadband (GSM)
  Driver:            option1
  State:             connected
  Default:           yes

Capabilities:

When it comes to your major bug 2:

*you are using the wrong method (I assume) /qoute

No! I just wanted to use the 500GB drive and not the smaller drive, I understand the different install types
and the point I was trying to make is that the 500GB drive isn't even seen, I get the message "No USB Drive found" when I start the installer
but it works if I use the 4GB drive.

During the install on to the 4GB drive, when I click on "cheat-codes" nothing happens.

Regards

devil:
Like I said, to use your 500 GB drive with install-to-usb, the whole space needs to be in 1 partition.

For the modem:
What does wvdial hsdpa output?

btw.: you can set your modem so that it starts as modem right away and not as usb-storage. you need to do this on a system where the device works, with AT commands:

--- Code: ---AT^u2diag=0
--- End code ---
to revert, use
--- Code: ---AT^u2diag=1
--- End code ---

greetz
devil

mof:
Maybe the firmware is missing ?

--- Code: ---apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree firmware-linux-free
--- End code ---
will fix it.