Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] New Install, won't connect to debian.org  (Read 2441 times)

Offline Visikde

• User
[EN] New Install, won't connect to debian.org
« on: 2023/03/28, 21:15:31 »
Installed KDE/Plasma on an external HDD  
Boots fine, connected to internet, won't connect to debian.org

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: New Install, won't connect to debian.org
« Reply #1 on: 2023/03/28, 21:39:33 »
...won't connect to debian.org
You're saying "connect" -- exactly what do you mean?

Do you have the debian and siduction package repositories listed in /etc/apt/sources.list.d?
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2023/03/28, 23:51:59 »
Are you sure your actually connected? I recently had trouble with the NeworkManager/iwd combo that wouldn't connect automatically. I had to just click on the connection in NM to tell it to connect. I ended up going back to wpa_supplicant for now just so I didn't have to interact with it. Also, check your nameservers.

Offline Visikde

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2023/03/29, 01:17:29 »
Thanks for the replies, it's been some time since I used synaptic  
Getting closer  
Set up some plasma/kde stuff & got some of the repositories connected  
Some updates worked   
Still no browser, firefox update complained about deb.debian.org being missing 

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2023/03/29, 01:58:41 »
Unless a server is down(unlikely) if one connects then they should all connect. Make sure you update first 

Apt update && apt dist-upgrade

Or

Apt update && apt full-upgrade

You can also use Nala. Start with

Nala fetch

To select sources. Then

Nala upgrade

Offline Visikde

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2023/03/29, 04:30:02 »
Sorry to freak out & ask for help  
Banged around on synaptic & figured it  
Firefox german & english gb language language packs were broken  
Uninstalling/reinstalling fixed it &
Then the updates worked  
Browsers work  
Discover even works  

Siduction ticks all the boxes  
Debian [not ubun], KDE, user friendly, community built    
Manjaro is my daily driver  
Mageia my long time backup 

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
« Reply #6 on: 2023/03/29, 08:33:22 »
https://manual.siduction.org/sys-admin-apt_en.html#why-use-apt-exclusively

I can't explain it so good like it is described in our manual, please be careful when using synaptic, it is not recommended!.

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2023/03/29, 13:22:18 »
I installed Manjaro recently to try it out. I used the Cinnamon spin. It looks great and seems to have everything needed. I just found it real buggy and not being familiar with the Manjaro/arch tools made it worse. Right from the first boot polkit wasn't enabled and I couldn't get priviledges. Took me some time to find out why and what but it stopped me from doing anything. Seemed it was every day I had to find a file to edit to get something to work. I finally gave up and reinstalled siduction.

Offline Visikde

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2023/03/29, 19:31:43 »
https://manual.siduction.org/sys-admin-apt_en.html#why-use-apt-exclusively

I can't explain it so good like it is described in our manual, please be careful when using synaptic, it is not recommended!.
There is no GUI package manager for siduction that is recommended?  
Dealbreaker, I want to use my computer not code 
Command line is not user friendly, remembering arcane rules & typing verbatim code is not within my skill set  
I guess the search for user friendly, community, KDE, debian continues    

https://solydxk.com is close, the community is tiny

Offline Visikde

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2023/03/29, 20:56:11 »
I installed Manjaro recently to try it out. I used the Cinnamon spin. It looks great and seems to have everything needed. I just found it real buggy and not being familiar with the Manjaro/arch tools made it worse. Right from the first boot polkit wasn't enabled and I couldn't get priviledges. Took me some time to find out why and what but it stopped me from doing anything. Seemed it was every day I had to find a file to edit to get something to work. I finally gave up and reinstalled siduction.
The KDE version works fine, as does gnome, the outliers on any distro can be problematic  
Manjaro warns about using AUR & how it can cause breakage  
I had some issues when python reached end of life, which were resolved by uninstalling the offending packages & building them again  through the package manager 
I have yet to modify a configuration file in nearly four years on Manjaro  

While I will open a terminal or modify a configuration manually as a last resort, but it is just not my kind of fun...  
Every support channel for every distro always offers up code as solutions for every problem, instead of the well crafted GUI solutions built in, which is a function of the people giving the advice being commandline oriented, which is neither good nor bad, just the way it is    

I'm working on  centos stream & redcore builds too  
The goal is to have backup systems of user friendly derivatives of the primary sources of linux packages  
I haven't identified user friendly candidates for slack & BSD as yet 
I try to avoid distros subject to corporate shenanigans like suze, ubun  
One man shows like pclos, mint   
Single issue distros, anti systemd [mx] 
Redhat is hard to avoid, being the largest benefactor of open source for always   

Mageia is the most user friendly, but has limited software & can lag a couple of years on plasma  
I've set up a few technically challenged seniors with easy to use & maintain systems for general use, I rarely get requests for help after the 1st couple of weeks   
 My Mageia laptop can be updated no problem, even after being offline for many months     

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2023/03/29, 22:34:50 »
Siduction is the one distro I rarely have trouble with. With it being built against sid/unstable you do get a errand package occasionally but rarely and it's usually fixed quickly. Eventually you need to get your fingers dirty on the command line. It's usually the easiest and fastest way to get things done. If it wasn't for my early Linux days trying to keep *buntu going I wouldn't have learned any of it. Good luck on your journey.

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #11 on: 2023/03/29, 23:16:12 »
siduction is Debian, sid development branch. sid is not recommended (by Debian) for typical PC desktop users who need to stay in the GUI 24/7. Thank you for checking out siduction, and best wishes for a satisfactory solution to your requirements -- it looks like you have some excellent candidates already.  :)
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline Visikde

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2023/03/30, 00:20:02 »
siduction is Debian, sid development branch. sid is not recommended (by Debian) for typical PC desktop users who need to stay in the GUI 24/7. Thank you for checking out siduction, and best wishes for a satisfactory solution to your requirements -- it looks like you have some excellent candidates already.  :)
I interpret your response as meaning, there won't be any help available that doesn't involve the command line, which is totally fine  
Always good to know the lay of the land
I'll let it run for a while & see if/how it breaks with low intensity [non developer] use  
Manjaro has similar warnings about using AUR packages  

Thanks for all the replies & building such a nice distro

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #13 on: 2023/03/30, 03:06:59 »

I interpret your response as meaning, there won't be any help available that doesn't involve the command line ...
That is a true fact. The "unstable" branch of Debian development, is, by definition, not stable for GUI-only use. It is developmental, and receives daily software updates, some of which may involve the software that present the GUI. If you can't stand to exit the GUI, in order to update all the software, and then go back to the GUI, then Debian unstable is not for you.