Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Upgrade error.  (Read 3502 times)

LRC1962

Upgrade error.
« on: 2014/05/13, 00:46:16 »
I am having a problem with upgrade because an apt is being tried to be uploaded from a site this is not available at this time. Also because I can not get onto my desktop because I can not upgrade, I can not get hold of the commands that I have on a file to clear it. And also I can not use them because I can not remember them.
I do know it involves moving a list folder to a new folder and creating a new list folder, but I can not remember where it is located.
Basically what this does is clears all the downloaded info from all sources and starts it from scratch.
I can not also seem to gi9ve the right search words to bring up those commands. Sorry for being a dummy but my mind is drawing a complete blank.
Hopefully it helps with any n00bs that may also need that info.
Note: Because other distros (notorious ubuntu) do things somewhat differently, the exact folder can be different.
Edit: Being around Windows lately too much. Replace "folder" with "directory"
« Last Edit: 2014/05/13, 01:06:08 by LRC1962 »

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Re: Upgrade error.
« Reply #1 on: 2014/05/13, 02:43:10 »
I have no clue to what you are talking about on moving folders/directories .

If your asking on where the sources.list(s) are

Code: [Select]
/etc/apt/sources.list.d
I hope your not doing an upgrade,  but a dist-upgrade is recommended

I also don't understand why you can't get to your desktop cause you can't upgrade.

Would also like to know what site is not available ?
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

LRC1962

« Reply #2 on: 2014/05/13, 04:10:05 »
At the end of apt-get upgrade I get an error that package can not be retrieved from a source. At that point upgrade fails.
The way you clear it is get rid of all apt-get update info which all goes into a directory called list (I believe).
The commands commonly used is something like
mv /?/list /???/lists.old
mk /???/list
apt-get update
The exact coding maybe wrong and the exact final directory maybe wrong also as it has been a while since I have done it and I do not code normally, but that is the general idea I think of what needs to be done.

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2014/05/13, 07:02:57 »
There are no lists to move.  If a dist-upgrade fails, executing apt-get update renews, what you would call a list.

I do a dist-upgrade by logging out of whatever window manager I'm in.  For me it's KDE.

I do ctrl-alt-F1 to bring up a terminal (tty)
I log in as root
I execute systemctl stop lightdm, then,
I do apt-get update, then,
I do apt-get dist-upgrade, then,
I do systemctl reboot.

If apt-get update fails, and, it's because a package cannot be retrieved, it may be because the mirror is syncing.  If that's the case, then one should wait for a while and try again.  If the problem doesn't resolve itself, you can try another mirror.  If the problem still doesn't resolve, then post the error here, so someone can help you.
Without seeing the error, (you can copy it, or take a pic and post it), it's going to be hard to tell you exactly what to do.
Linux Counter number 348347

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #4 on: 2014/05/13, 10:18:14 »
My guess is, he is speaking of /var/lib/dpkg/info/. And no, you do not want to mess with that. That takes expert knowledge to handle.

greetz
devil

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2014/05/13, 11:03:00 »
There are some posts around in www (one example here) explaining how to delete the contents of /var/lib/apt/lists/*, if apt-get somehow got stuck because of half-downloaded content.  But this is not the suggested way of suport here, you should  go the way GoinEasy9 explained.

Normally an
apt-get -f install
can be helpful to trigger the last seen error messages again (if it does not solve the problem right away), and

apt-get clean
apt-get update
should (hopefully) update the lists of available packages from a clean state. Sometimes when apt-get got interrupted at some point, the command

dpkg --configure -a
can also help to reconfigure the status of installed/halfinstalled packages.

Please don't forget that in a rolling release like siduction to achieve the most current state of the distribution is to issue

apt-get dist-upgrade
not just upgrade without dist- (I am not sure if you were just lazy ;) in your first post or really wanted to upgrade).
To give further advice, the complete output of the messages you get during 'apt-get update' or 'apt-get dist-upgrade' would be of interest. If the output is long, please use code-tags or use a paste-service.
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline absolut

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2014/05/13, 13:18:46 »
At the end of apt-get upgrade I get an error that package can not be retrieved from a source. At that point upgrade fails.

just wanted to hint at the fact that in sid you should use apt-get dist-upgrade. for more details about this, please check out the manual

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #7 on: 2014/05/13, 13:24:52 »
...and ALWAYS paste the output of a command instead of quoting what you think is important. We need the full output from start to end. Saying, package can not be retrieved from a source is totally useless.

greetz
devil

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #8 on: 2014/05/13, 17:26:40 »
Quote from: devil
...and ALWAYS paste the output of a command instead of quoting what you think is important. We need the full output from start to end. Saying, package can not be retrieved from a source is totally useless.

greetz
devil
+1

would also like to see the full output of
inxi -Srxxx
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

LRC1962

« Reply #9 on: 2014/05/13, 22:50:35 »
Thank you der_bud.
The story behind this is that my old machine with a radeon died 4 months ago. I got a new one with win 7 on it using Geoforce. I did scavenge the old HD with Linux on it. So I can not get into desktop until I upgrade. As I am only a modest user of Linux (use it because machines and HDs last 10-15 yrs longer then WINs) and have never had a problem using the script I always use smxi as my upgrade tool.
As I can not get into a desktop and have no knowledge of how to do it outside of it copying and pasting code is a little beyond my capabilities.
I should have copied error out by hand but was in a hurry at the time.
The error was "Failed to fetch ....... 403 forbidden" Note: several lines. apt-get clean did not clean wherever that info was collected and so that error kept coming up. Changing sources file would have helped, but as I am not used to using console edit apt making the changes then remembering have to save it ..Well I don't remember how while using it.
The code der_bud linked to solved my problem even if it is not best.
Many thanks for your help.