Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] packages to add to ISOs (mostly xorg, but may aply to other ISOs, too)  (Read 5026 times)

Offline michaa7

• User
You ship moc with xorg but without moc-ffmpeg-plugin. Allthough it's not a big deal for the well informed user to install it, it doesn't make much sense not to privide it on the ISO, given it's size:

# ls -la /var/cache/apt/archives/moc*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 251160 Sep  2 12:06 /var/cache/apt/archives/moc_1%3a2.5.0-1_amd64.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  34012 Sep  2 12:06 /var/cache/apt/archives/moc-ffmpeg-plugin_1%3a2.5.0-1_amd64.deb

An other package I'd recommend is roxterm. I used to install konsole as VT (although I am exclusivly using fluxbox) due to its fine grained profile setting features. But with my newest install on my laptop I saw 156 dependencies to come in with konsole. So I found (recommended from someone @ debianforum.de) roxterm.
It seams it has matured over time and for my usecase it is able to replace konsole with ony a bunch of packages a dependencies:

# LANG=C apt-cache depends roxterm
roxterm
  Depends: roxterm-gtk3

# LANG=C apt-cache depends roxterm-gtk3
roxterm-gtk3
  Depends: librsvg2-common
  Depends: roxterm-common
  Depends: libc6
  Depends: libdbus-1-3
  Depends: libdbus-glib-1-2
  Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0
  Depends: libglib2.0-0
  Depends: libgtk-3-0
  Depends: libice6
  Depends: libpango-1.0-0
  Depends: libsm6
  Depends: libvte-2.90-9
  Depends: libx11-6
  Conflicts: roxterm-gtk2

I understand you use xorg-iso as a basis for internals test and you want to keep it small. Maybe we could create a meat-package with some extra packages meant to enhance the xorg-iso for those who use it as a real Desktop.

BTW:
I now got a hint how to configure lightdm to my needs (yes, we disagree about the security implications):
If like the greater to show the latest user who logged in you only have to edit:
/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
greeter-hide-users=false
So no more kdm for me.

And while I'm at it I still feel we should add a "howto set your fonts" to the xorg-iso. User installing this flavor will - sooner or later - pick packages based on different toolkits (like I do, I try to avoid too much dependencies, but at a suitable moment Idgas). If you (convbsd) are willing to add such a howto to the ISO, I am willing to write one.
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
I suggest our wiki - and i think a site about the xorg flavour with possible extensions and additonal packages is the best way to handle this.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline michaa7

• User
The wiki is a burial ground for unlocatable knowledge (although people writing wiki articles put much effort in it) and comes really handy if you barely can read what you only just installed and you try to configure your wifi.

A site about the xorg flavour sounds reasonable, depending on where it gets burried. Any proposals where outside the wiki it could be located?
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Maybe - later this or next year - it may fit to our manual. Its only a idea, but if someone stand up ...
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline michaa7

• User
"manual" sounds at least sensible compared to wiki, although your openly discouriging timeframe you mentioned proves how much more work (than a simple text file) it would be due to this whole git-html-multi-language-framework.

So, can't we agree before reaching for the stars to first have a simple solution, a text only howto/readme file (for which I would care and discuss it with convbsd) which would be shipped with the next xorg.ISO .

And then we see in a second step how within our livetime, if not the next year, this could be made available elsewhere (read: bury it down in a sub-sub-menue of a hundred-sided package of paper where noone needing it will ever find it in due time because he wouldn't know it's there ot what to look for)?