Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] subforums for every siduction flavour  (Read 6881 times)

holgerw

[EN] subforums for every siduction flavour
« on: 2015/08/02, 11:40:23 »
Hello,

siduction ships with different flavours. I've a discussion with Alf, Maintainer of lxqt in a german thread, there I've got important information about lxqt, developing process, bug tracker etc, but in a few days this thread slips down.

I think it would be a good thing to start subforums for every flavour, a pattern could be manjaro forum, they also have different flavours and every flavour has its subforum.

Kind regards,
  Holger

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: subforums for every siduction flavour
« Reply #1 on: 2015/08/02, 13:20:44 »
I wouldn't object, and in some cases like your lxqt discussion there can be an advantage.  However, there is also a clear disadvantage.  Here is an example from your Manjaro forum.  A potentially helpful discussion of hardware configurations is buried under "KDE", because that is the DE that the OP wants to use. Here we have a clean list of topics, and of course the split between EN and DE languages already gives some complexity underneath the topics.  If something is to be added, I think I would prefer to add a single additional subforum "Desktop Environment", with EN and DE language sections, and the thread titles can state which desktop environment is the subject of the question or concern.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline bluelupo

• User
    • BluelupoMe
« Reply #2 on: 2015/08/02, 13:42:18 »
Hi dibl,

I find your proposal well. If you could set up the forum software as to which desktop environment refers the question would be optimal. Too deep a nesting subforums I personally rather unsuitable if you are looking for something specific.

holgerw

« Reply #3 on: 2015/08/02, 20:57:31 »
Hello @dibl,

If something is to be added, I think I would prefer to add a single additional subforum "Desktop Environment", with EN and DE language sections, and the thread titles can state which desktop environment is the subject of the question or concern.

I agree with you, this is a good idea.

Kind regards,
  Holger

holgerw

« Reply #4 on: 2015/08/21, 09:31:22 »
Hello,

is there any further interest to add subforum in EN / DE for desktop environements?

Kind regards,
  Holger

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #5 on: 2015/08/27, 10:07:23 »
Personaly I think it scatters the forum way too much to have a subforum for every DE. We could have one for DE's in general though, as proposed by dibl. On the other hand, people wilöl post things like "My DE does not start" in there... But I guess you can never have it perfect as long as humans are involved.

Any further thoughts, pro's and con's on this?

greetz
devil

Offline ghstryder

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2015/08/27, 13:57:06 »
It won't really make a difference to me personally, but IMO the only thing of substance it would add would be more work for the moderators.

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2015/08/27, 14:39:16 »
Hi,

I would think it is a good idea, as long as it is used for specific questions which are related to the DE. It also may reduce the amount of posts in "software" which may lead users with other DE's then the one who is asking in a wrong direction or the other way around.

greets
ayla

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #8 on: 2015/08/28, 10:28:53 »
Hello holgerw,

well, at first i liked your idea, but on the other hand too many categories aren't helpful either.
On the long run simply the latest stuff will get the most attention, and some of the new areas would be very silent.

A lively "general" discussion area with many topics does represent the community even better, i think.

For special interests the moderators can add tags (either to the subject or message body)  to support the advanced search. Mods are active readers anyway, so i don't think this would add too much work. In fact i have been doing this in the past, when subjects were wrong or missleading.

greetings
musca
„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)