Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Newbie to Siduction  (Read 4996 times)

tuxmarc

[EN] Newbie to Siduction
« on: 2017/04/26, 22:07:53 »
Hello folks !
I am not new to Linux distros, I discovered the Holly Grail thanks to a friend in 2003, but could install only in 2004 when I could rebuild from scratch an antiquated computer.
After a first and very successful trial, I have tested, installed a great number of distros, about 150, when it's free, you have no second thoughts  ;D
I have tasted to a great number of .deb and .rpm distros, and also Gentoo, Slackware, BSD, Manjaro.
For the major installation, my favorite choice  has been Ubuntu for years, i have still Ubuntu installations, and only recently I have decided to know the Mother of so many distros, Debian !
Each time I have been disappointed because I could never connect to the net, my Zydas wifi pen was never in the basic distro.
Eventually, I found a better solution than to drill a hole in concrete to have a cable reach my workshop, a link through the electrical network, which enabled me to download the right driver and to surf wireless  :)
Now, I know the virtues of Debian, and my main installation with thousands of pictures is Antix 16, a daughter of Debian.
Recently, an internet friend wrote to me she had discovered something gorgeous ...... Siduction  ;D
I have downloaded the iso, sweat a little  bit to install it, but was frustrated again by the impossibility to get connected via wifi.
Now, temporarily, the problem is solved, I am connected thanks to the house's electrical network and I have launched a gigantic update.
Let's cross fingers, i hope everything worked properly  ;)
Siduction is my first unstable installation !!!!
Kind regards

PS : ich könnte in deutche Sprache schreiben, aber das is schwerer für mich  ;)

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Newbie to Siduction
« Reply #1 on: 2017/04/26, 22:31:56 »
Welcome to siduction, Tuxmarc.

The problem with wireless drivers is all over Linux. You can use it, we can't ship it. But Zydas used to always work reliably in the past once the driver was installed. Besides that, unstable has a few rules to itself. You always want to use dist-upgrade instead of upgrade. Be sure to dist-upgrade often (anything from 4 times daily (debian has 4 syncs per day) to once in two weeks is ok. The longer you wait, the more things pile up and the more complications might arise.

That being said, unstable is quite stable these days (compared to 10 years ago). But it still has it's hickups now and then, specialy if you use multiarch. So, when dist-upgrading, please always read, what apt tells you it wants to do before you hit enter. We absolutely recommend pure apt over any graphical update app like synaptic or others.

Should you break something and you need immediate help, you can visit us on IRC. The german channel [#siduction-de] might be your better choice because it's better populated. Keeping in mind, siduction is mostly based in Germany, that means, we are 6 - 9 hours ahead of the USA. Feel free to visit us even without having a problem :)

And now be siduced :)

p.s.: just saw, you are in France, so no time difference

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #2 on: 2017/04/26, 23:42:33 »
Hi tuxmarc !  Enjoy
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

tuxmarc

« Reply #3 on: 2017/04/28, 21:49:16 »
@devil

I cannot understand why my Zydas chip refuses to work, it has been successfully loaded, everything seems to be perfect, but it fails to get connected after supplying the WPA key ?? Never mind I have found a trick to surf.
I shall follow your advice : always a dist-upgrade.
Till now, being unable to surf, I have not launched any upgrade, so I have to do it.
I can expect some surprises with an unstable distro, I know there are risks, but if everything crashes, I shall start again  :)
It is not the first time I am trying to tame a distro, some times I had to start again 2 or 3 times, routine  ;D
Today, I have installed synaptic, trying to find the software manager in vain.
Like I am doing with other distros, I have installed Gnome to see how it is like with Siduction.
The installation worked well, I have chosen the gdm option, but rebooting, I am giving my password again and again, not to avail, I cannot go further.
Something I was accustomed to see is the possibility to select the environment, I have found nothing for that !
So, let's try something : a console, login, then startx and ..... Cinnamon has started !!  ;D
I don't understand what has happened but it works  8)

Now, I shall update and go on discovering.

Kind regards !

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #4 on: 2017/04/28, 22:06:28 »
@tuxmarc - erm. Siduction is a little bit differerent in that regard, it might be that you miss a few dependencies. I would place a high bet on this, because we don't install recommends by default. Most other debian derivatives do so.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #5 on: 2017/04/28, 22:09:24 »
Using synaptic for installing anything is not recommended, however, you may use it to search for packages.

Synaptic doesn't work to well with dependencies, and can cause breakage to some packages.

The recommended way to install packages and doing dist-upgrades is thru the command line.

Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

tuxmarc

« Reply #6 on: 2017/04/29, 11:42:39 »
Hello piper, hello melmarker  :)

I am improving step by step.
First I have launched a first dist-upgrade, far less huge than I believed, my system is now up to date.
Second I have found the tiny button to select the environment, between "cancel" and "accept".
Strange, it does not work with Cinnamon, not with plain Gnome and Gnome classic, but works with Gnome Wayland.
If I want to start on Cinnamon, I know the trick  ;)
@melmarker
@tuxmarc - erm. Siduction is a little bit differerent in that regard, it might be that you miss a few dependencies. I would place a high bet on this, because we don't install recommends by default. Most other debian derivatives do so.

Strange, quoting doesn't work like in many forums, never mind !
I must see if dependencies are missing, it seems to work until now.

@piper
Using synaptic for installing anything is not recommended, however, you may use it to search for packages.

Synaptic doesn't work to well with dependencies, and can cause breakage to some packages.

The recommended way to install packages and doing dist-upgrades is thru the command line.

I have been a long time fan of synaptic, if it's missing on a new distro, I add it first.
I have not noticed it did not work well with dependencies, it was never treacherous.
Picking a deb package and installing through gdebi, I have done this very frequently, noting that missing dependencies are clearly indicated by gdebi, a good tool !
I have launched the good old aptitude, but realized that I have lost a lot  ;D
I have just found the software manager !!!  :)
Things are improving and if I did not try some crazy magician tricks, Siduction is strong and reliable  8)