Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  After dist-upgrade: no network connection  (Read 5210 times)

vigidr

After dist-upgrade: no network connection
« on: 2014/07/03, 07:21:55 »
Hi all,

after an dist-upgrade (fresh!) the network connection just disappeared. I can fix it temporary by adding the line
Code: [Select]
iface eth0 inet dhcp to /etc/network/interfaces, and I can bring it up with ifup eth0, but after few minutes the interface will shutdown again and I have to ifup it again.

Please assist how to get eth0 working permanently again.

Ah, additionally to that, the network icon at the panel shows up with a questionmark. Have attached a screenshot. If I open the network manager, there isn't listed a eth0 interface at all, or something like wired network. All wifi, wan only. no ethernet. That's weird.

By the way: It's a virtual machine. The host system doesn't have any problems at all.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: 2014/07/03, 07:28:47 by vigidr »

Offline absolut

• User
Re: After dist-upgrade: no network connection
« Reply #1 on: 2014/07/03, 10:49:51 »
if you are using the network-manager, then /etc/network/interfaces should contain only the loopback network interface only

which network card was chosen for the guest system in virtualbox settings?

vigidr

« Reply #2 on: 2014/07/03, 12:09:27 »
if you are using the network-manager, then /etc/network/interfaces should contain only the loopback network interface only
That's true. That's why I added the line to be able to get network running at least temporary.
which network card was chosen for the guest system in virtualbox settings?
It's sharing the host's network card - think it's called "Host Bridge Mode". However, I didn't change anything regarding this. Network was running previously, before I started the dist-upgrade. After the new version started up, root file system was mounted read-only and I had to restart the old version to remove the ro (read-only) option from the new Grub entry.

Additionally to that I just figured that no network hosts were found. While investigating this issue I tried the mentioned method and got it working, at least temporarily.

So, I'm not sure what's the cause, why siduction apparently doesn't like my Fast Ethernet connection anymore. However, the cause must be inside the guest system. Even though I also have installed a new version of VirtualBox Guest Tools. I can't tell you whether network stopped working before that already, I didn't try that. Installing the new version was one of the first things I did, after solving the stupid read-only-mounting of root file system. ;-) Though I don't really believe that this can be the cause.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
vigidr

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2014/07/03, 13:54:33 »
Did the upgrade bring anytging related to systemd and/or networkrelated. What is your desktop-environment? why not just use standard NAT in vbox?

greetz
devil

vigidr

« Reply #4 on: 2014/07/03, 13:57:08 »
Did the upgrade bring anytging related to systemd and/or networkrelated.
Don't know.
What is your desktop-environment?
lightdm
why not just use standard NAT in vbox?
Because host system uses different network settings, other gateway etc. I need the capability of using alternate networks.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #5 on: 2014/07/03, 19:59:52 »
Please check apt.log and dpkg.log for updated packages during your last run of dist-upgrade. Lightdm is a login manager, not a desktop environment.

greetz
devil

vigidr

« Reply #6 on: 2014/07/04, 01:45:11 »
Oups, you're right. :D Sorry.
Well, I'm using KDE.

The logs are attached.

By the way, in the meantime I also tried to setup a new network adaptor for the VM, but nothing changed.

Behavior after boot:
Code: [Select]
balken@siduction:~$ ping google.com
ping: unknown host google.com
balken@siduction:~$ sudo ifup eth0
[sudo] password for balken:
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.3.0
Copyright 2004-2014 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/eth0/08:00:27:38:13:fe
Sending on   LPF/eth0/08:00:27:38:13:fe
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK from 10.126.0.1
RTNETLINK answers: File exists
bound to 10.126.0.178 -- renewal in 1356 seconds.
balken@siduction:~$ ping google.com
PING google.com (74.125.135.101) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from ni-in-f101.1e100.net (74.125.135.101): icmp_seq=1 ttl=53 time=24.9 ms
64 bytes from ni-in-f101.1e100.net (74.125.135.101): icmp_seq=2 ttl=53 time=24.4 ms
^C
--- google.com ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1001ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 24.438/24.708/24.979/0.312 ms
balken@siduction:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp
balken@siduction:~$
But still the network icon with questionmark at the panel after ifup and disconnects after a couple of time.

Any idea?
« Last Edit: 2014/07/04, 02:26:58 by vigidr »

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #7 on: 2014/07/04, 07:06:36 »
I forgot this is happening in virtualbox. So the logs  mean nothing. Best take the issue to IRC server freenode, #vbox.

greetz
devil

vigidr

« Reply #8 on: 2014/07/23, 03:23:03 »
I doubt vbox is the cause, since it was working perfectly before the dist-upgrade. This would mean that the updated version lost proper support of the mentioned network adaptor. Though I wonder why I can bring it up manually then.

I think there was something broken while doing the upgrade. Not sure what exactly. Probably a re-install of latest version would help. But that's not a real solution. This would mean it's worse than MS Windows. And I hope it's not.

Are there any suggestions how to really repair this (without re-install siduction or referring to vbox)?

reinob

« Reply #9 on: 2014/07/23, 10:40:58 »
My bet is that Network Manager is highly confused. Kind of weird to use NM within a virtual machine (does the VM really see the wireless networks?).

If you want your VM to have DHCP over eth0 then just leave it in /etc/network/interfaces and remove NM.

You could also try with wicd. I find wicd much more predictable than NM.

vigidr

« Reply #10 on: 2014/07/23, 15:40:42 »
The VM is not connected to Wifi. It's using Fast Ethernet only. vbox doesn't provide the Wifi controller to VM. However, I just installed siduction as it was. The NM (Network Manager?) was included. I didn't install it separately. However, how to uninstall NM? Will try wicd if the interfaces file as standalone isn't working.

Thanks,
vigidr

vigidr

« Reply #11 on: 2014/07/24, 02:59:29 »
I removed plasma-nm and network-manager, set eth0 to auto in /etc/network/interfaces and it's working properly again. I don't need the network manager at all.