Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  KDE frameworks 5.10.0 + Plasma 5.3.1 + Apps 15.04.2  (Read 8002 times)

Santa

There is a new batch of updates in kdenext/kde-frameworks. Installation intructions are available here:
https://community.kde.org/Plasma/InstallingNext#siduction

The software updated in kdenext/kde-frameworks is the following:
Qt libraries: 5.4.1
KDE Frameworks: 5.10.0
Plasma: 5.3.1
KDE Applications: 15.04.2

As allways, let me know about the issues, but I don't promise to fix them all  ;)
« Last Edit: 2015/06/10, 11:04:59 by Santa »

holgerw

Re: KDE frameworks 5.10.0 + Plasma 5.3.1 + Apps 15.04,2
« Reply #1 on: 2015/06/10, 10:16:56 »
Hello @Santa,

first I hope that everything wents fine with your exam.

Thanks a lot for providing newest kf5 and plasma stuff in siduction. I'll try it soon.

In Manjaro and opensuse tumbleweed I've noticed, that kinit5 crashes if trying to modify special window settings. If happens also in siduction, I'll report it here.

Kind regards,
  Holger

Offline Pip

• User
Re: KDE frameworks 5.10.0 + Plasma 5.3.1 + Apps 15.04.2
« Reply #2 on: 2015/06/11, 06:33:49 »
I tried doing the upgrade on a spare laptop - an HP G72. Not good. There is now nothing available on the desktop. I moved my .kde, .config and .local, but still just had a background on the screen, no toolbar, no response to right click. I could get the runner up with Alt-F2, but as soon as I typed anything into it, it crashed.
I'll run dist-upgrade on it over the next few weeks and see if anything comes back. It's definitely something to beware of at this stage.

holgerw

« Reply #3 on: 2015/06/11, 06:48:53 »
Hello @Pip,

I've tried two different successful ways for getting kf5 stuff.

First way:
- installing a minimal siduction nox as basic system
- making dist-upgrade (repair dbus issue with dpkg manually)
- then adding sources for kf5 stuff and going on as described here: https://community.kde.org/Plasma/InstallingNext#siduction

Second way:
- taking an actual fuill siduction KDE installation with additional kde stuff
-  then adding sources for kf5 stuff and going on as described here: https://community.kde.org/Plasma/InstallingNext#siduction

I did it when plasma 5.2 was actual in kdenext. Perhaps your issues have to do with new plasma 5.3 and new kf5 stuff.

I'll test new plasma and kf5 soon, and will report the result.

If you need further help, please ask here.

Kind regards,
  Holger

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #4 on: 2015/06/11, 07:21:28 »
The dist-upgrade was successful here, no issues at all.

greetz
devil

Offline Pip

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2015/06/11, 07:42:58 »
I followed the instructions, doing the two dist-upgrades on an existing siduction installation. As I said, though, it's on a spare computer, so it's no biggie that it's not working at the moment, just something to contrast to other people's experience: sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, this is, after all, not recommended yet as a safe release for siduction. It might work in a little while if I do more dist-upgrades. I'll let you know.

Offline reddark

• User
    • http://www.klangruinen.de/
« Reply #6 on: 2015/06/11, 10:32:53 »
My CPU is very high. Why is that?

Kann deutschn besser:
Nach Update auf KDF5 steigt die CPU-Last beständig. Plasma-shell scheint der Übeltäter zu sein. Muss dann ständig X neustarten. Die ganzen Effekte hab ich schon abgeschaltet, neuen Home-Ordner angelegt, keine Miniprogramme. Und trotzdem wird es sehr heiss und der Lüfter läuft dann permanent.
Muss ich irgendwas vom alten KDE entfernen, das sich da was beisst oder hat jemand ne andere Idee?

Santa

« Reply #7 on: 2015/06/11, 10:43:57 »
I tried doing the upgrade on a spare laptop - an HP G72. Not good. There is now nothing available on the desktop. I moved my .kde, .config and .local, but still just had a background on the screen, no toolbar, no response to right click. I could get the runner up with Alt-F2, but as soon as I typed anything into it, it crashed.
I'll run dist-upgrade on it over the next few weeks and see if anything comes back. It's definitely something to beware of at this stage.

This seems like something which only happens to you. Please inspect your .xsession-errors file to get a hint of what's wrong.

Offline reddark

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2015/06/11, 13:11:49 »

Santa

« Reply #9 on: 2015/06/11, 13:56:54 »
My xsession-file:

http://pastebin.com/pwTmQP8D

Note that my previous message was a reply to Pip, not you. I don't know what's your problem nor if inspecting that file would help, because I don't speak german, explain it in english please.

Offline reddark

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2015/06/11, 13:59:53 »
google-translate:

After updating to KDF5 the CPU load increases steadily. Plasma shell seems to be the culprit. Must be constantly restarting X. All the effects I've already turned off, created new home folder, no applets. And yet it is very hot and the fan then runs continuously.
 Do I have something removed from the old KDE, because what bites or someone has ne other idea?

Offline Pip

• User
« Reply #11 on: 2015/06/11, 22:21:26 »
I took a quick look at .xsession-errors but couldn't find anything obvious. But it was, as I say, a quick look.
I quite agree that I'm the only person who has reported a problem, but I'm afraid I no longer consider myself to be one of a kind, so I maintain the friendly warning that things can go wrong, though the balance of probability is that they won't. But those who download items off the safe and secure path already laugh in the face of death, so that's no real worry.
Thanks for letting me play with the new toys.

tmhind2

« Reply #12 on: 2015/06/11, 22:35:52 »
Pip, if it is any consolation I just did the update following the guidance procedures and crashed my working Plasma desktop. Now all i get is a black screen and a bug report request, which I have not submitted yet as I still need to look around to see if I did something incorrectly.  :(   

holgerw

« Reply #13 on: 2015/06/12, 08:21:37 »
Hello,

there is something wrong with new kf5 stuff.

I've installed siduction lxde, have made a complete actualisation.

Then I've added kdenext unstable and have made a dist-upgrade

Then I've added kdenext kf5 source and have installed fresh kf5 and plasma stuff, plasma-dersktop, kde-l10n-de, sddm, breeze.

I've done a systermctl enable sddm -f and restart.

This should presents me sddm login, but I get a white screen without possibility to login.

sddm theme breeze is installed.

A startx works but then I enter lx session.

Kind regards,
  Holger

P.S.: I've installed further stuff like kde-standard. Now I have sddm login, but when choosing plasma and trying to login, the start procedere hangs and then I get rests of lx session.

kwin is installed, plasma-desktop is installed. Have I install another meta-package for kf5?

Kind regards,
  Holger

« Last Edit: 2015/06/12, 08:55:38 by holgerw »

Santa

« Reply #14 on: 2015/06/12, 08:54:49 »
Hello,

there is something wrong with new kf5 stuff.

Well, your case seems more like a problem with sddm, don't you think?

Then I've added kdenext kf5 source and have installed fresh kf5 and plasma stuff, plasma-dersktop, kde-l10n-de, sddm, breeze.

Could you please give me a list as more accurate as possible of the list of packages you have installed?
You can check /var/log/apt/history.log* if you don't remember well. This way I could try to reproduce your problem and find out if it's a problem for everyone and/or if it's a packaging problem.

A startx works but then I enter lx session.

Theory:
Because you have the lxde thing configured as the default. This is controlled by the x-session-manager alternative. You can read more about the debian alternatives system here: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianAlternatives

Practice:
If I'm not mistaken...
You can list the alternatives for x-session-manager this way:
Code: [Select]
update-alternatives --list x-session-managerAnd you can set it to the kde thing this way:
Code: [Select]
update-alternatives --set x-session-manager /usr/bin/startkde

Let me know if you are able to start with startx after doing that; this way we will know if it's just a problem with sddm or a problem with everything.

Thank you very much to all of you for testing.