Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [closed] Large GCC-5 TRANSITION, Heavy DIST-UPGRADE pending  (Read 80084 times)

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: [URGENT] GCC 5 fallout incoming
« Reply #45 on: 2015/08/10, 17:13:14 »
@dibl - why so optimistic? 8)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #46 on: 2015/08/10, 17:22:02 »
@dibl - why so optimistic? 8)

It doesn't matter to me -- my siduction systems were last updated on 30 JUL, and they are running perfectly today and doing everything that I need done.  Iceweasel and chromium still browse nicely, LibreOffice still calculates, Plasma 5 still acts like a beta+ version of a desktop, latest conky still crashes every so often.  All running as expected for a sid system, and if it takes until Columbus Day to finish the transition, I will not be bothered in the slightest.   8)
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

domicius

« Reply #47 on: 2015/08/10, 21:12:28 »
Well, I'm also optimistically monitoring the transition tracker :) Mostly because I switched to Plasma 5 and while it's usable, it's got a long list of "regressions" for my personal use case. And the sooner this major transition is over, the sooner, I hope, Plasma 5 starts getting better. :)

And when we think about it, most probably each and every user has a different set of packages installed and those they rely on more or less daily for their work. Because of that, I pretty much ignore any premature "updated, everything seems ok", because I know "everything" is never everything and "everything" for one users is never "everything" for other users. Like me. :)

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #48 on: 2015/08/10, 22:03:31 »
Do we have lost all of Debian sid for the next half year?
While my estimate holds true a week later: What about Debian testing? If you need to intall a newer kind of Debian now ...
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #49 on: 2015/08/10, 23:02:50 »
ralul, calm down - 10% of the transition are done :D - there will be a few breaks, but there is an easy solution: Don't touch a running system or have a good and tested rollback or recovery strategy. Maybe this is the right time to find a new approach to different things - i for my self removed multiarch from my system, the last program that need multiarch was teamviewer. and that one could run in a VM (Windows or Linux - i didn't care, same for skype - but wait, well, i have a Microsoft Phone for skype 8) )
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #50 on: 2015/08/10, 23:09:57 »
My just *simulated* d-u would remove all kernel headers including the respective meta package and the headers of the current kernel  linux-headers-4.1.4-towo.1-siduction-amd64 linux-headers-siduction-amd64.

As now the header package of our kernel  is hit by the transition we should all be very carefull with any kind of upgrades, i.e. wait the next 100 days.
« Last Edit: 2015/08/10, 23:13:02 by michaa7 »
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

madal

« Reply #51 on: 2015/08/11, 07:19:11 »
Arriving at this post TODAY! trying to figure out why KDE is so messed up..........

Anyone interested in knowing what's going on for someone who was doing religious d-u's out of ignorance?

Mad Al

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #52 on: 2015/08/11, 08:06:00 »
Welcome to siduction and ozur forums. Please enlighten us.

greetz
devil

Offline cas

• User
« Reply #53 on: 2015/08/11, 09:46:23 »
I didn't count, but  this page looks as even less than 10% was achieved.
It is clear that this transition can not happen within hours or a few days.

Nevertheless my question is, why does this take so long? Are these guys on vacation? Did nobody tell them? Is there (much) more to it, than just a new compilation?

Greetings, C

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #54 on: 2015/08/11, 13:48:21 »
It is a reansition that triggers many other transitions. Packages need to also be uploaded in a certain order to not wreak more havoc than is already the case. Yes, this is a complicated process. And some people are for sure on vacation or otherwise not available.

greetz
devil

Offline clubex

• User
« Reply #55 on: 2015/08/11, 14:04:30 »
What's a "reansition"? I can't find it in any dictionary I have. Nor can I find a definition of it on the web.

madal

« Reply #56 on: 2015/08/11, 14:14:37 »
WOW! A response from the devil himself! I am honored. I've been a fan since the Sidux days.
(If I come off as being insincere, I assure you, I am not).

Anyway. For about a week now, my d-u's have been held up by only 2 packages: kwin-data and kwin-x11. Unmeetable dependencies.
Dolphin is gone and has unmeetable dependencies.
Konqueror is broken. I can only view files in Konq using filelight or FSview. Not optimal, but functional.
Taskbar - pager and task manager are gone, but launcher still works.
I cannot resize open windows.
The menu bar on open programs is gone.

Basically functional, but royally screwed up.

Mad Al

madal

« Reply #57 on: 2015/08/11, 14:16:02 »
@clubex

I believe he meant "transition." Typing too fast..

Mad Al

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #58 on: 2015/08/11, 14:52:40 »
ralul, calm down - 10% of the transition are done :D - there will be a few breaks, but there is an easy solution: Don't touch a running system or have a good and tested rollback or recovery strategy.
Yes, don't touch your Debian yet if your working environment works ... My working horse at the moment is Gentoo using an older gcc-4.9 toolchain. Thus I can experiment with my Debian Sid partition: I ever wanted to give Gnome-3.16 a second try after years.

I purged all of Kde, sddm, vlc, kaffeine, xfce. I disabled siduction kdenext repos and only kept the Debian Sid unstable package list. Gnome installed and runs well (I don't know if Gnome had to transit at all, has it C++ code?). All of my remaining Debian Sid packages went through a full dist-upgrade including libreoffice-5 (this one pulls in a newer boost-dateime). Afterwards I was able to reinstall
- sddm, which pulled a lot of kde and plasma in again
- vlc and kaffeine,
where I had to purge some of multimedia libs in case there was a newer one with an ending name 'v5'

Debian Sid is usable riding Gnome-3.16 as Desktop.
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline cas

• User
« Reply #59 on: 2015/08/11, 14:54:20 »
OT:
I hoped that google would enlighten me, what the strange "ozur forums" were. It happend that I was enligthended by myself.  :P