Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Attention/ Achtung, an 64-bit time_t transition is in progress in unstable  (Read 13408 times)

Offline edlin

• User
I am currently running my daily
Code: [Select]
doas apt update && doas apt upgradeevery day. At the moment over 200 packages are being held back, including the kernel update. So far there are no noticeable problems at my system (KDE/Plasma/X11).

edlin
Der Kluge lernt aus allem und von jedem,
der Normale aus seinen Erfahrungen
und der Dumme weiß alles besser.

Sokrates

Offline Pip

• User
Definitely recommend waiting for the all-clear. Or at least mostly-clear.

Offline Isegrimm666

• User
Definitely recommend waiting for the all-clear. Or at least mostly-clear.

That's what i will do ...

Offline pixel24

• User
Do I understand this post correctly that there is currently no:
apt dist-upgradebut only :
apt upgradeshould be performed?

Offline edlin

• User
Yes, at the moment a dist-upgrade would send a lot of packages to nirvana.
A simple apt upgrade is currently the best choice.

edlin

Sokrates

Offline pixel24

• User
I have one more question in this context. Half a year ago, I installed Siduction at a friend's house. The user is "somewhat" older and does not use a console ;-) I showed him how to install updates via Discover.

What does Discover do during the update? "apt upgrade" or "apt dist-upgrade" ?

Offline pixel24

• User
So in its current state:

Siduction-Installation-ISO + apt upgrade
you will not get a working system! Many packages are broken. I have performed the reinstallation about 10 times in the last three days

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
Don't try this with a fresh installed system, not a good idea, especially using, i guess, an older ISO like !Masters of War" or an early "Giants",

Be patient, let the fingers rest and wait until the transition is done, please!

Ps.: And you will run into that ---> https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=9115.0 , so you will never have a chance to get a running system!
« Last Edit: 2024/03/05, 09:02:44 by hendrikL »

Offline ro_sid

• User
I have one more question in this context. Half a year ago, I installed Siduction at a friend's house. The user is "somewhat" older and does not use a console ;-) I showed him how to install updates via Discover.

What does Discover do during the update? "apt upgrade" or "apt dist-upgrade" ?
Well, I have looked it up this morning: I can not safely tell, that Discover does an "apt dist-upgrade", but it certainly does not an "apt upgrade", it 'upgrades' more (by Siduction-default). I forgot to look for a configuration setup for it, but I think, you can not alter its behaviour.

Offline edlin

• User
I have uninstalled Plasma-Discover for a while, but if I remember correctly, it uses apt full-upgrade. That wouldn't be very helpful in the current situation. Also, the configuration options were rather modest.
In addition, with Debian/Sid you should not rely solely on a tool with a GUI. For a user who can't or doesn't want to use the CLI and apt, a Debian/Stable might well be the better choice.

edlin

Sokrates

Offline pixel24

• User
Don't try this with a fresh installed system, not a good idea, especially using, i guess, an older ISO like !Masters of War" or an early "Giants",

Be patient, let the fingers rest and wait until the transition is done, please!

Ps.: And you will run into that ---> https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=9115.0 , so you will never have a chance to get a running system!

No, I don't use an older ISO but Giant. I think this is the latest one? I haven't found another one.

I didn't have Siduction installed before and wanted to reinstall.

When you say: "don't do this with a freshly installed system", my question is: "how do I get a freshly installed system with a consistent package system" ?

I suspect not at all at the moment :-(

And even if you manage to install it "somehow," it's not over. Our Linux clients need to be subsequently connected to the UCS Samba/LDAP/Kerberos, along with the required packages:

apt install realmd sssd sssd-tools libnss-sss libpam-sss adcli samba-common-bin oddjob oddjob-mkhomedir nfs-common libpam-mount ntpdate git cachefilesd cifs-utils krb5-user packagekit
Specifically, the package
packagekit cannot be installed.

So, staying idle in this situation is not an option.

Offline seasons

• User
my question is: "how do I get a freshly installed system with a consistent package system" ?

If you want to use sid(uction), you're just going to have to wait like the rest of us.

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
Currently, during that transition, it is a bad idea to run an "apt full-upgrade" or try to install a new package, it will break your system!

So if you install an ISO, you have to wait before running any apt/dpkg action/tasks, you have to use it as it is and be patient!

That is what I am trying to say!

Edit: siduction is based on debian sid/unstable, have this in your mind, sometimes it is a bit rough!
« Last Edit: 2024/03/05, 16:43:31 by hendrikL »

Online michaa7

• User

When you say: "don't do this with a freshly installed system", my question is: "how do I get a freshly installed system with a consistent package system" ?

right

And even if you manage to install it "somehow," it's not over. Our Linux clients need to be subsequently connected to the UCS Samba/LDAP/Kerberos, along with the required packages:

apt install realmd sssd sssd-tools libnss-sss libpam-sss adcli samba-common-bin oddjob oddjob-mkhomedir
 nfs-common libpam-mount ntpdate git cachefilesd cifs-utils krb5-user packagekit

Specifically, the package
packagekit cannot be installed.

So, staying idle in this situation is not an option.

Your only way out of this urgency ***might*** be searching https://snapshot.debian.org for *the newest versions of the needed packages* *released prior* to the ongoing transition. You would have to search them one by one, and download them manually and then install them not like "apt install <packagename>" but like "apt install <packagename>=version" or like "apt install <full/path/to/complete/package/file/name.deb>" (there most likely will be roadblocks, i.e. dependencies you would have to d/l as well, of course in the right version!).
There is no guarantee all the packages then fit into the new installed system, but chances are they do ...

This is not a "best way" to do it now. This is a bumpy, may be unsuccessfull route to an emergency exit you may take if your only alternative option is to otherwise interrupt your business ...
« Last Edit: 2024/03/05, 17:12:12 by michaa7 »
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline pixel24

• User
I suppose it will take quite a while until all the packages in Sid are rebuilt, won't it?