Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [solved] D-U partially breaks LXDE Start-Logout Functionality  (Read 3114 times)

UP2L8

I'm not sure what broke it, but the Shutdown and Restart buttons do not work at all and the Suspend button acts like logout.  The Cancel and Logout buttons work.  I haven't tried the Hibernat., Switch User, or Lock Screen buttons.

The lxshortcut pkg was removed, so I thought that might have something to do with the issue.  I attempted to re-install the pkg, but following through with the install would have removed libfm-tools.
« Last Edit: 2014/05/06, 10:48:19 by musca »

UP2L8

Re: D-U Partially Breaks LXDE Start-Logout Functionality
« Reply #1 on: 2014/04/30, 21:53:51 »
Did a little bit of investigating today and discovered that the lxshortcut package was removed on a d-u I performed on 04/05/2014.  I think this may be the cause of the issue.  Attempting a re-install of lxshortcut wants to remove libfm-tools, but libfm-tools provides lxshortcut; go figure.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #2 on: 2014/04/30, 23:55:38 »
lxshortcut isn't in sid anymore, so the removal should be intentional
Code: [Select]
lxshortcut:
  Installiert:           (keine)
  Installationskandidat: 0.1.2-3
  Versionstabelle:
     0.1.2-3 0
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main amd64
        500 http://debian.siduction.org/ stable/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://debian.siduction.org/ testing/main amd64 Packages

A hint may be the debian/control file for libfm
PackagesPackage: libfm-tools
Section: misc
Architecture: any
Depends:
  ${misc:Depends},
  ${shlibs:Depends}
Breaks:
  libfm-gtk-bin (<< 1.1.1 )
Conflicts:
  lxshortcut
Replaces:
  libfm-gtk-bin (<< 1.1.1),
  lxshortcut
Provides:
  libfm-gtk-bin,
  lxshortcut
Description: file management support (utilities)
 LibFM provides file management functions built on top of Glib/GIO
 giving a convenient higher-level API.
 This package contains applications libfm-pref-apps and lxshortcut.

So the removal of lxshortcut has absolutely nothing to do with hibernation, user switching etc - this is systemd, especially systemd-sysv - you should fix your upgrade problems and these things will work again - and by the way, i would recommend the usage of lightdm instead of slim, we worked out in the last months that lightdm works far better with systemd. Switching is easy:

apt purge slim
apt get install siduction-settings-lightdm-gtk-december
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

UP2L8

« Reply #3 on: 2014/05/01, 01:11:16 »
I don't know why you say lxshortcut isn't in sid any longer.  I get a response indicating otherwise from the following:

aptitude show lxshortcut

I also checked the packages page at Debian.org and it shows lxshortcut in the Sid repos as well.

I'm not using systemd.  I'm still using init.

What upgrade problems are you referring to?

I agree with you about lightdm over slim and have been using that for a few weeks now under siduction, but thank you for the tip anyway.
« Last Edit: 2014/05/01, 01:22:41 by UP2L8 »

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #4 on: 2014/05/01, 01:55:30 »
Please learn the basics of apt. Read the control file carefully; especially the lines with Conflicts, Replaces, Provides. Thank you.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2014/05/01, 16:44:04 »
At first sight it seems irritating that libfm-tools conflicts, replaces AND provides lxshortcut all at once. What it means is that the functionality of the package lxshortcut is now provided by the package libfm-tools, so if you have the latter installed then the application lxshortcuts is available. You can see that with 'apt-cache show libfm-tools'.

For your problem from threadopening, something else seems to be wrong. Did anything happen to for example slim.conf or similar files during the last distupgrade?
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #6 on: 2014/05/01, 17:47:10 »
For our non systemd users: i discovered some changes in the systemd packaging for systemd 204-10 yesterday because these changes break our iso building.

if one use parts of the systemd packages, but have not systemd as PID 1 please install systemd-shim. This is highly recommend if one use libpam-systemd. libpam-systemd depends on systemd-sysv | systemd-shim and will install systemd-sysv (and in case systemd as pid 1) if the shim-package is not present.

if one have no use for systemd packges, one should remove completely all systemd related packages from the system. This should solve the user switching and some other issues. Writing that please keep in mind, that we don't support sysvinit any longer so in the most cases one will be on his own.

UP2L8

« Reply #7 on: 2014/05/06, 03:00:17 »
At first sight it seems irritating that libfm-tools conflicts, replaces AND provides lxshortcut all at once. What it means is that the functionality of the package lxshortcut is now provided by the package libfm-tools, so if you have the latter installed then the application lxshortcuts is available. You can see that with 'apt-cache show libfm-tools'.

For your problem from threadopening, something else seems to be wrong. Did anything happen to for example slim.conf or similar files during the last distupgrade?
I'm using lightdm and it works, and has worked, fine.  I d-u earlier this evening and I think the issue might be resolved.  I haven't thoroughly tested everything though.

05/06/2014-01 edit:  I've verified that the issue has been resolved by a d-u yesterday.

05/06/2014-02 edit:  Okay, can someone tell me how I'm supposed to edit my OP to change the title by adding [SOLVED] when there is no button to modify it?

05/07/2014-01 edit:  Thank you, musca.  Why wasn't I able to edit my original post?
« Last Edit: 2014/05/07, 08:27:07 by UP2L8 »