Siduction Forum > Free Speech

[EN] Mac Hardware????

(1/3) > >>

eriefisher:
I'm on the hunt for a new to me laptop. I have come across a few Mac books and Mac Book pros. I have never used any Apple hardware so I was wondering if anyone here does??? Anything to look for or avoid? Anything that won't work? Does it even work at all with Siduction/Debian/Linux? This is new ground for me.

I have found a HP Elitebook 8470P as well and may just go for it. I've had really good luck in the past with HP hardware.

axt:
Do you want to buy a new or very old notebook?

Ivy Bridge have been built-in to the HP EliteBook 8470p - Intel Core i Gen 3, released in 2012. You can still use something like that, but you don't buy it anymore.

eriefisher:
This particular HP is an i7@2.3GHZ with 8gig of ram. Should be a reasonable laptop for what I need. I'm not a power user at all.

axt:
Macs are building with ARM-based CPUs for years. (AS = Apple Silicon, M1, M2,...). This is a completely different architecture than x64.

Operating systems are written for a specific architecture. Linux also runs on ARM. But it's not just the CPU alone.

The Asahi project tries to make Linux run on AS. But without support from Apple - and there never will be - Asahi is still very far from normal use.

axt:

--- Quote from: eriefisher ---This particular HP is an i7@2.3GHZ
--- End quote ---

3rd generation Core i, ancient.

There was already a noticeable push with gen4 (Haswell). Even more so with gen6 (Skylake). The other generations up to and including gen11 (Tiger Lake) are based on this, always with further boosts.

The 13th generation (Raptor Lake) is currently available for purchase. That separates galaxies.

i7 alone only says something within a generation, a CPU clock alone nothing.

--- Quote ---Should be a reasonable laptop for what I need. I'm not a power user at all.
--- End quote ---

Then why are you asking about Macs?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version