Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  New NVidia prop. Driver has Problems with Virtual Resolution  (Read 6624 times)

Offline ReinerS

• User
I just experienced some strange effects with NVIDIA-Drivers 295.59 and 302.17 under xfce.
The areas of my virtual Desktop (akaspanning) wer somehow puzzled in black and white. Some fragments of alraedy closes windows could alsp seen in those areas.
The "real" Desktops of 128x1024 are ok but the "virtual" areas of 1600x1200 are effected bis this. Elements (screenlets, panels etc.) have been moved up to the "real" desktop-area.
Strange enough this effect is con showing up in the kdm-login session/-screen. Only afeter login as the xfce-desktop builds up, those effect also come up.

I went back to 295.53 and the problems are gone now.

regards

Reiner
slackware => SuSE => kanotix => sidux => aptosid  => siduction

Offline ReinerS

• User
New NVidia prop. Driver has Problems with Virtual Resolution
« Reply #1 on: 2012/08/11, 13:35:09 »
Hmm, during some more testing yesterday with other desktops I had to realize finally that this problem only seems to exist/occure within the xfce-desktop (4.8 and 4.10 release). :?

As I used other Desktop-Managers I found that those did not experience that problem. I tested with razor-qt, kde and icewm.

regards

Reiner

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2012/08/11, 23:38:47 »
I wonder if nvidia-304.32 from experimental would help you.
For me nvidia from experimental without problems! But you have to install a bunch of nvidia named packages from experimental!
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline ReinerS

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2012/08/12, 11:36:06 »
@ralul: Thanks for the hint but I have already tried that. This problem occurs with each prop. driver after 295.59. So also the the 304 series. I had contacted already NVidia on that before I realized that it doens't occur with other desktops.

regards

Reiner

Offline ReinerS

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2012/11/21, 13:32:10 »
Well,
unfortunately nothing has changed on this issue yet. The problem exists still with 310.19.

New is that after upgrading razor-qt onto 0.5 I had similar issues when trying to ad Virtual Resolution/Panning within the running session. Logging out and in again ended those Problems and I could use the virtual Resolution and Panning without problems
Attached find an screenshot of the nvidia-settings with virtual resolution/panning and also one of the complete scrambled virtual screen.

regards

Reiner

Offline ReinerS

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2013/01/01, 16:09:55 »
I am just experimenting  again with my twinview setup and an xorg.conf tailored for that but without the virtual screen/panning settings yet.
Now I get some strange results. When X starts everything ist fine, both screens are used as they should be.
When I log in (XFce) however both screen are switched to some sort of "clone"mode, which means both screensare showing exactly the same.
This can be owercome by usindg arandr with an appropiate setting.
This works until next time I restart the Box or log out and in again and the same procedure has to be applied again.

Logging in as another user after boot or after restarting the X-server doesn't show this behaviour. Both screens act as expected.

Looks like there exists somewhere within the users profile some user-specific x-setting which overcomes the initial settings in /etc/ X11/xorg.conf, but I haven't found it yet.

Dose someone know where ecactly to look for it ? :?

regards

Reine

Offline ReinerS

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2013/02/06, 15:31:02 »
Well, looks like those Problems have got somehow lately fixed again with Nvidia driver 313.18.

It now seems to require now some different setup (two seperate x-screens, xinerama enabled where before it was twinview enabled and xinerama disabled/not selectable) but seems to work now again as it had been before the 3xx driver versions arrived.

I still have to test it with other desktop-enviroments but under xfce it is working now.

regards

Reiner