Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Moderation Advice for Melmarker and the gang  (Read 5805 times)

geklmintendont

Moderation Advice for Melmarker and the gang
« on: 2019/02/15, 07:02:38 »

BEFORE I SAY ANYTHING:
This post is ADVICE, and contains NO THREATS WHATSOEVER.

If you believe that I am threatening you, then go ahead and ban me. I will be able to return to the site and post again in LESS THAN AN HOUR. I am trying to teach you how you can prevent problems from OTHER PEOPLE, NOT ME. READ THE WHOLE POST!!! If you want to ban this account after you finish reading because I'm "an information threat" or whatever, then go ahead. Understand, of course, that this is little more than a rude gesture.

Talking primarily about you, Melmarker. Don't ban people who write meaningful posts on the siduction forums. If they don't look like a bot, and they're at least ON TOPIC then you shouldn't ban them. I imagine most people will be fine if you delete a post they write as long as you PM them why you did it and act really nice about it.

No, really. What happens to the siduction forums if you ban somebody with a botnet and a temper? Your site goes down for a month. Not good. I'd never do such a thing, of course, but keep banning people and you'll find one. (Again, reminder: I don't have a botnet, I'm not saying I could DDoS this place, but getting that ability is well within the reach of all long-term Siduction users).

Your bans are a complete joke. Even if you permaban someone, IP ban and all, there is nothing stopping them from rebooting their router and coming back with a 10 minute mail email account. If you permaban someone from the site, all that means for the user is "click the 'new address' button on 10 minute mail and flick my lag switch on and off".

Again, due to your poor security, there is another risk you have:

The MAJORITY of people on this forum are either programmers or do programming in the course of their work. I'm sure it'd be TRIVIAL for most people on this forum to write a bot which instantly filled up every single topic on the forums with thousands of random posts filled with gobblety gook. That's not a threat, that's a prediction of what's going to happen if you continue your crappy practices. You're going to piss off the wrong guy (and "the wrong guy" is probably 1/10 of the people here) and your whole site will get fucked.

Melmarker, the majority of your power as an an admin on these forums is in your influence. The people on this forum hold you in high regard because you help a lot of people, and you are valuable to them. The MOMENT that you are no longer valuable to one of these people, and that you've made them angry, you roll a die. Is the person you pissed off technically skilled enough to plot a revenge? 60/40. Do they control their temper? 50/50. Do they feel vengeful or do they just want help on the forums? 50/50.

TL;DR:
don't pull a gun at a gun show.

I would like to give you some heads-up, by the way, so that you can improve your technology:
1) You should google "10 minute mail" and "temporary email" and prevent users from registering emails from all those domains which give out such email addresses.
2) You should get some level of DDoS protection if you can
3) There should be some spam-prevention abilities
4) You should alter your ban messages and ban description so as to calm down any potential revenge-plotters. Revenge plotters are your BIGGEST RISK on the forums, not some dude who uses the F word in a post under upgrade warnings, ONCE, such as myself.

I am never going to attempt to destroy siduction forums, because I love this place, but I'm not going to let you ban me either, and I'm not gonna let you destroy the place with your incompetence.

You're welcome.

Offline bevo

• User
Re: Moderation Advice for Melmarker and the gang
« Reply #1 on: 2019/02/15, 09:22:40 »
@geklmintendont

This is not the conversational tone we appreciate in this forum !!  >:(

bevo

Offline unklarer

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2019/02/15, 13:24:26 »
The boy's got a wheel off and I'm in favor of delete his crap out. 

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #3 on: 2019/02/15, 14:43:56 »
What the fuck

I have been on the internet before the days of web browsers and just when you think you've seen it all

one flies out of the the cuckoo's nest

You want us to believe your over the age of 14/15

I for one won't delete this post as of yet as I think embarrassment suits you better for a few hours

Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline ilven

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2019/02/15, 15:07:42 »
You come here to our forum to get help and ask questions.
YOU are the petitioner who wants something from the experts here.
Therefore you should behave politely and not like an axe in the forest.
Such a rudes behavior one experiences really rarely.

And there is a saying that says: You don't bite the hand that feeds you.

BTW how do you know which people make up the forum members?  Stay on the ground and stay polite

jm 2 ct

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #5 on: 2019/02/15, 17:23:45 »
The original ban reason and note:

Ban reason:
senseless swearing and whining - you was warned. your ban will expire in 10 days - next time i delete you without further comments.
Note for co mods:
i have warned him minutes before he edit his post. No, not this way.

You realize that banning me from the forums means nothing since I can simply make a new account and unplug and re-plug in my router, right? IP bans don't work on me, since I use a dynamic address and I could use a proxy or VPN anyway, and I can make an infinite number of email addresses through any number of "10 minute mail" "1 hour mail" "temporary mailbox" services.

Why even bother?

Buddy, if I wanted to, this whole forum could be offline. Most people on this forum could probably do that. The only reason it hasn't been knocked offline is because I like this distro and I want to keep using it, and if you nerds didn't have this forum, I probably couldn't fix all the shitty problems this unstable operating system has.

Quit kidding yourself. You have no power. Your powers exist only because the people on this forum acknowledge you at all. The most you can do to me is inconvenience me temporarily.

Go ahead, ban my account and IP-ban me. Delete all my posts too. I'll be back with a new account before I update again. there is literally nothing you can do short of closing your forum to prevent me from visiting and posting. I can make an infinite number of email addresses from hundreds of sites, I can make new google accounts for Gmail addresses if necessary.

And for the record

I have no idea why you're angry at me.

My only advise is: Become mature and act like an adult. Even if it last for some years. Meanwhile we would like not to have you around. Only for the records - you has been warned. Now is next time.
« Last Edit: 2019/02/15, 17:38:43 by melmarker »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #6 on: 2019/02/15, 17:28:33 »
The customer is not satisfied -- he should get a full refund.   ;)
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #7 on: 2019/02/15, 17:30:23 »
@dibl - i guess now he is satisfied.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2019/02/15, 19:00:10 »
(AS7029) Autonomous system number managed by ARIN and Windstream Communications, which is owned by (AS7349)  TierPoint, LLC

Hostname h97.204.90.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net

2 54,285 IPv4 , 2 372 IPv6

He/she has domain names hosted on this IP address

His/hers average Network Speed is

3.93 Mbps Download
0.7 MbpsUpload

All this has been backed up (including his/her posts) in case of any threats and will be forwarded to both windstream.net and TierPoint (owner of windstream.net), now if he/she uses cell phone, that will be easier

Enough is enough with the threats from a script kiddie
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #9 on: 2019/02/16, 18:25:43 »
Our kiddy showed up again. So the point is: he can try again and again - so - if he register again, delete him without comment. If he continue, it will be time for some legal actions.

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2019/02/16, 18:57:24 »
+1000

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #11 on: 2019/02/16, 19:10:53 »
What he/she doesn't know is that *most of those "10 minute mail" things are banned automatically at a lot of sites, especially

nwytg.net which is owned and registered with joker.com

and

protonmail.com which is owned and registered with godaddy.com

I know he/she can read this forum
« Last Edit: 2019/02/16, 20:06:10 by piper »