Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Firefox with KDE open save dialog boxes  (Read 4746 times)

Offline vayu

• User
[EN] Firefox with KDE open save dialog boxes
« on: 2013/08/27, 08:42:47 »
I have better comfort and productivity with KDE dialogs than the GTK ones in Iceweasel. There's a special Firefox build that uses KDE dialogs.  It's from the “Blue-Shell” team sponsored by Blue Systems. They sponsor three Linux distributions plus several projects. I think they're all Ubuntu derivatives. Would someone in the siduction community capable of compiling and packaging this be willing to?  https://launchpad.net/~blue-shell

The PPA has only two packages firefox and firefox-kde-helper.  I wonder if it would be difficult for one in the know to package firefox-kde-helper with Iceweasel. I really like KDE dialogs for the work I do. I'd love to have it in Iceweasel or Firefox.

Blue Systems: http://www.blue-systems.com

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

belze

RE: Firefox with KDE open save dialog boxes
« Reply #2 on: 2013/08/27, 23:04:37 »
i use chromium for better kde support, among other features

Offline vayu

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2013/08/28, 02:45:13 »
Thanks for the Chromium tip. I never realized that it had KDE dialogs. After checking I find Chrome does too. Nice to know in case I have downloads that I want to save to a network share and I don't have Firefox KDE helper.

Firefox from the PPA I referenced above works for me on siduction. The PPA only installed firefox and firefox-kde-helper and it didn't attempt to install or remove anything besides those two packages. I used the raring packages.

It used my Iceweasel profile and had all my addons, bookmarks, settings, open tabs... Iceweasel was at 17 for me and this Firefox was at 23, all my plugins were still available and Firefox upgraded them upon it's first launch.

At this point Iceweasel and Firefox shared the same profile directory and somehow internally the same instance name. Launching Iceweasel or Firefox while one of them is already running will give an error that Firefox is already running.

To run Iceweasel at the same time one of them needs to be launched with a new profile and the multiple instance option.  I added the following to Iceweasel's KDE menu launcher exec:

iceweasel -P iceweasel -no-remote %u

The "-no-remote" clears up the multiple instance/already running problem.
The "-P iceweasel" will cause a profile dialog to popup upon first launching Iceweasel. At that point I chose the option to create a new profile. To prevent this profile dialog box from appearing everytime I launch Iceweasel I checked a box to not ask at startup.  I then gave it the profile name that I used with the -P option "iceweasel" and I also specified the location of .mozilla/firefox directory.  After that Iceweasel created a new profile directory in .mozilla/firefox alongside the existing one. I now have two firefox profiles in the .mozilla/firefox directory: 9t69hg96.default and 0y70r04.iceweasel. One for Firefox and one for Iceweasel.

Now I can use both Firefox and Iceweasel at the same time and they have different settings and there are no problems with different plugin versions. (None of this was necessary to use Firefox. I wanted to understand what would happen with Iceweasel)

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #4 on: 2013/08/28, 16:04:35 »
I mentioned the link above to compile from source, not to install the ppa ;)

another read

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/firefox-kde-opensuse/
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck