Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Floorp Browser  (Read 1081 times)

Offline tranquil

• User
[EN] Floorp Browser
« on: 2024/01/22, 23:21:47 »
I watched a video on the Chris Titus YouTube channel last week about the Floorp browser, based on Firefox-ESR. Has anyone tried it and if so, your opinion about the browser?
Dual-booting Debian Stable and Unstable with Openbox window manager and Tint2 panel.

Offline enablevacuous

• moto x3m
Re: Floorp Browser
« Reply #1 on: 2024/01/23, 08:07:23 »
At first, I thought the new entry, "Floorp," was just some made-up placeholder, but I'm so glad I decided to look into it!
Never did I imagine a browser could offer me the quirky customization options I rely on, similar to Vivaldi, without being dependent on Chromium. My Floorp is configured with the tab bar placed vertically on the left side, very thin and displaying only page icons. The entire navigation and title bar have been shifted to the bottom, including the window buttons. This configuration gives it the sensation of being fullscreen without sacrificing any UI. For years and years I've been waiting and wishing for a browser to achieve this without the need to tinker with code or custom CSS.
While Vivaldi allowed me to move the navigation bar to the bottom and tabs to the side, it still retained a title bar, which always bothered me. (I admit, I'm quite picky). Floorp has truly become a dream come true for me!  :-X

Offline tranquil

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2024/01/25, 01:56:41 »
Did you install using the PPA or did you build it yourself?
Dual-booting Debian Stable and Unstable with Openbox window manager and Tint2 panel.

Offline edlin

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2024/01/25, 15:16:22 »
I don't know if @enablevacuous will answer you, because I found the same text on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/browsers/comments/14n5zw7/comment/kc4vny3/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web3x&utm_name=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

(bot/spam [weblink]?)

I installed Floorp via PPA. Worked according to the instructions without any problems (KDE/Plasma X11) and is up and running in a few minutes. You can also receive updates via apt in the future.

When I tried to compile Floorp from the sources, I got a few error messages, so I did not pursue this path any further.

edlin
Der Kluge lernt aus allem und von jedem,
der Normale aus seinen Erfahrungen
und der Dumme weiß alles besser.

Sokrates

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
« Reply #4 on: 2024/01/25, 23:14:36 »
Well, I tough also it could be spam and or ki generated text.

Btw. there's also a fltpack which is working well.
And for to test, it is a good idea to install it as --user..

Offline tranquil

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2024/01/27, 19:07:22 »
I installed Floorp via PPA. Worked according to the instructions without any problems (KDE/Plasma X11) and is up and running in a few minutes. You can also receive updates via apt in the future.

When I tried to compile Floorp from the sources, I got a few error messages, so I did not pursue this path any further.

edlin
The Debian recommended method of using a PPA: CreatePackagefromPPA

Offline tranquil

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2024/01/27, 20:23:16 »
Cool...I did a little bit of digging on the Floorp site and I discovered that they offer a portable static build suitable for all Linux distributions. Just extract the tarball to your preferred location and point to the /floorp/floorp file to start up Floorp.