Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Cooperation requested  (Read 3877 times)

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
[EN] Cooperation requested
« on: 2021/12/12, 15:00:23 »
With your help, we have once again put Siduction on a secure financial footing. We have also renewed the infrastructure and made it fit for the future. What we are missing now is new blood.

At the moment there are 4 of us, besides me there are towo, vinzv and hendrikl. We all have time-consuming jobs and do the necessary work to maintain and publish siduction in our spare time. We would like help in growing our small team from you, the siduction community and your contacts outside our bubble.

This concerns the actual work, like maintaining desktop environments or especially the review of the automatically translated chapters of the manual, which we actually wanted to release with the upcoming release. Unfortunately, due to a move to another city, I did not get to take on this task.

On the other hand, this also concerns inspiration on how to proceed with siduction. Three of our team have been doing this job for almost 20 years with sidux, aptosid and now 10 years with siduction. I feel like we're more preserving than really innovating, and that's a shame. You guys can change that. We are counting on you!

Offline agentporcupine

Re: Cooperation requested
« Reply #1 on: 2021/12/13, 13:12:38 »
Greetings from Brazil!

I'm a newcomer to siduction. Unfortunately I don't think I have the competences required to help in the more technical details of maintaining a distro. I hope you can keep revitalizing siduction though.

If I may make a humble suggestion here, one thing I particularly wished was there when I switched (but to be fair is hardly ever there out of the box in any distro), was integrated btrfs snapshots. openSUSE has implemented a very good solution with Snapper + grub2 integration. At least one other rolling distribution is taking the same approach and I feel this is very sensible for this kind of system.

I am interested in the siduction manual and might look at trying to translate it to Portuguese, though I can't read German, but when it comes to languages I can be really stubborn.

You guys seem to be the the only ones doing a rolling Sid-based distro right now, and I agree you deserve more contributors. I wish siduction the best going forward.
« Last Edit: 2021/12/14, 15:28:51 by agentporcupine »

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Cooperation requested
« Reply #2 on: 2021/12/16, 20:27:22 »
Hi there,
thanks for your input. Regarding btrfs snapshots: I really like what SUSE is doing there and have been following it for a while. A couple of years ago I tried to implement most of snapper's functionality for Debian (for an article I published at the time), but it was quite hard to get it right, so I gave up on it. Apt worked, but GRUB resisted. I just now saw that snapper is available in Debian now.

Now that snapper is in Debian, I might set up a test instance to see how it works. You could do the same, if you want to. Just install siduction with LVM and btrfs as file system and then install snapper and see what happens. It should set up the whole snapshot functionality with apt and grub. At least that is what
Code: [Select]
apt show snapper promises.