Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] BTRFS native on next release?  (Read 3499 times)

Offline Locutus

• User
[EN] BTRFS native on next release?
« on: 2022/05/29, 16:03:52 »
I'd like to know if BTRFS is going to be offered during initial install with the next ISO release? Thanks

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: BTRFS native on next release?
« Reply #1 on: 2022/05/29, 18:16:47 »
Hi and welcome to our forum. If in the installer you choose the manual partitioning method, you will find Btrfs among other file systems to choose from.

Offline DeepDayze

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2022/05/30, 17:53:48 »
Btrfs is getting better and better with time and with a tool like snapper (for taking snapshots) it will be a solid filesystem and a few distros do offer btrfs as default for the root filesystem.

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: 2022/05/30, 18:17:13 »
Quote from: DeepDayze
Btrfs is getting better and better with time ...

Indeed. I have been a BTRFS user since about 2011. I don't use it for the OS -- the siduction OS can easily be reinstalled. I use it to protect my 30x years of data, on a pair of 2 GB WD hard drives. I use it as "a poor man's RAID array", in its default configuration, with striped data and mirrored metadata. When the pair of hard drives get to 30K or more hours of use, I replace them with a new pair. I don't wait for errors -- drives are cheap, but data is non-replaceable (although backed up more or less regularly).
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline DeepDayze

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2022/05/30, 18:36:47 »
Indeed. I have been a BTRFS user since about 2011. I don't use it for the OS -- the siduction OS can easily be reinstalled. I use it to protect my 30x years of data, on a pair of 2 GB WD hard drives. I use it as "a poor man's RAID array", in its default configuration, with striped data and mirrored metadata. When the pair of hard drives get to 30K or more hours of use, I replace them with a new pair. I don't wait for errors -- drives are cheap, but data is non-replaceable (although backed up more or less regularly).

Also best feature of btrfs is subvolumes where you can even have folders in its own subvolume much like subdividing a partition that contains your data into manageable "chunks". Ext4 does not have that.

Offline terroreek

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2022/06/01, 15:45:25 »
The latest Siduction installer already supports btrfs and actually automatically installs / and /home into an @ and @home subvolume.  This is how I have been running since patience it works great. 

Offline Locutus

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2022/12/15, 17:57:38 »
Hi and welcome to our forum. If in the installer you choose the manual partitioning method, you will find Btrfs among other file systems to choose from.
Most of us know that but want to avoid Manual partitioning. That said I did a search on how to change Calamares so the default is BTRFS and now have a small tutorial save on how to do it. 

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #7 on: 2022/12/18, 09:23:46 »
Would you mind sharing the howto?