Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] 32bit is not dead  (Read 8028 times)

buhtz

[EN] 32bit is not dead
« on: 2017/02/06, 04:49:16 »
In the last news you wrote about a new release but dropping 32bit. And you would like to know if and why someone still need 32bit.

I am using a Atom netbook which is 32bit. Linux is used for a lot of old machines. I can not understand this 32bit bashing.

But as a small distro like you it is acceptable because of your ressource. I would switch to Debian unstable when it happens. I think there is n such a big difference between this.

Just my 2 cents.

tmhind2

Re: 32bit is not dead
« Reply #1 on: 2017/02/06, 11:35:33 »
@buhtz, that's what is great about linux, you can hold what your using, move laterally to something that works for you or move on with your current or freely select what you like!  ;)

Tom

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #2 on: 2017/02/07, 02:00:07 »
Should you be one of those not happy with our plan, please let us know your reasons on our forum. If you have a good reason to still run 32-bit, you might even be able to talk us into a custom build.

Like the quote says, one can be built for you.

Either I or someone else can build it for you. (ah ya, I just volunteered)  ;)

You can shoot me a pm or ask directly on irc when this happens.
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Online vilde

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2017/03/06, 12:02:50 »
For many years I have had  with me a 32 bit cd and/or usb-stick with siduction (or earlier....sidux ....) to be able to rescue files from friends crashed  windowz machines. I 32 bit rescue cd/usb-stick will be usable on all machines 64 or 32 bit.  For now I will keep my newest 32 siduction usb-stick as rescue tool.

Offline horo

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2017/03/06, 12:25:39 »
If I understood it correctly the main pain isn't the packaging but the need to develop/maintain a 32er kernel. Otherwise I would propose to offer at least a nox iso - useful for rescue and a good starting point for own customisation. And as another benefit it will fit on an old fashioned CD for the PCs that cannot boot from USB. Just my 2¢.

Ciao, Martin
« Last Edit: 2017/03/06, 14:45:16 by horo »
omnia vincit pecunia :(

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #5 on: 2017/03/06, 13:30:13 »
You are right that maintaining an extra kernel for 32-bit is what makes this cumbersome. As I wrote in the release notes, a Liquorix-Kernel or one by Debian will work perfectly fine here.

Offline horo

• User
DIY *-i386.iso
« Reply #6 on: 2017/03/08, 18:34:06 »
Hi,

according to this German wiki entry I was able (after some tweaking) to build my own "siduction-style" lxqt-patience-i386.iso - already with liquorix kernel - thx Alf.
I've updated the wiki a little bit to reflect the latest status, but some more maintenance would be great.
Any interest in an English translation? - I would volunteer to do it next week.

Ciao, Martin

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #7 on: 2017/03/08, 18:52:20 »
As we said before - we will try to build i386 images on request - yesterday i changed the receipes of LXDE and LXQt that way. The builds went surprisingly well - at least the images start :) - so i will upload LXDE and LXQt i386 to our mirrors. Maybe devil will write a few sentences in that regard.

A few remarks: horo, we should update the wiki not only a little bit, the pyfll thing should be a bigger overhaul.
I build most of the time on our buildserver, but for testing i use my local machine. It turns out that a few simple settings can speed up the build process a lot:
* build in tmpfs - that will improve the build time dramatically
* use apt-cacher-ng, especially if the internetconnection is slow

The tempfs thing gives an unbelivable boost - ok, one should have sufficient memory. Rignt now it takes between 7-9 min to build an image on my older local machine with warm apt-cache.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline horo

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2017/03/09, 16:30:43 »
Hi Alf,
cool improvement when tmpfs and apt-cacher-ng are used - down from 50 minutes to 9 minutes. Thx for the hint. It took me a little bit of reading the fine documentation  (the pyfll file itself ;) ) to find out that the argument in the *.conf files (originally cloned from git) must be "apt_cacher" instead of "apt-cacher" as it was before. I will document this in the wiki next week when I'm back home.
Ciao, Martin

EDIT: Ok, I changed the wiki a bit more. BTW: We had a discussion about pyfll some time ago.
« Last Edit: 2017/03/16, 17:13:01 by horo »

Offline horo

• User
RFC: 32bit is not dead / 32bit ist nicht tot
« Reply #9 on: 2017/03/17, 18:14:59 »
Hi,

as promised I've updated and translated the old wiki entry, it redirects now to the bilingual wiki entry.
FEEDBACK AND CONTRIBUTION WELCOME!

Wie versprochen habe ich den alten Wiki-Eintrag überarbeitet und übersetzt, der Artikel verweist jetzt auf den bilingualen Artikel.
BITTE UM KOMMENTARE UND VERBESSERUNGEN!

Ciao, Martin