Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] new inxi feature: -m for system ram  (Read 20847 times)

Offline bluelupo

• User
    • BluelupoMe
[EN] Re: new inxi feature: -m for system ram
« Reply #30 on: 2014/08/27, 21:42:37 »
hi h2,
I would request concerning the implementation of a features for your tool "inxi". For me would be interesting if inxi the last system update (date and time of an "apt-get dist-upgrade") could be determined?

Would that be feasible? It would be very pleased if you could implement the proposal.

Offline h2

• User
    • smxi.org
Re: new inxi feature: -m for system ram
« Reply #31 on: 2014/08/28, 01:47:27 »
smxi does that but can only do it if you always use smxi, otherwise there's no actual way to know when a full upgrade has been run.

Remember that all upgrade/dist-upgrade means as far as I know (and correct me if I am wrong) is that you tell the system to install latest version of all the packages.

I have some understanding of the issues from making the smxi last upgrade thing, but that one only works if

a: you always use smxi to upgrade

b: the system has been upgraded by smxi before

the hack I did there was to simply add a 'last-upgrade=' item to the smxi.conf file, which smxi reads.

However, in the context of inxi, I do not know of any way to know the system has been upgraded or when, and such a feature should include at least rpm/deb, maybe pacman, though I doubt pacman has a way to know such things.

With this said, if you can find a way to actually determine when the system last was upgraded, let me know, I am failrly familiar with debian upgrade stuff and I could not find a way that a script could read from the system state itself.

Remember that to actually be a real upgrade, the system must not exit the upgrade before it's done, that's why smxi for example only sets the last upgrade time after du/upgrade exits/completes without error or user initiated exit.

as good as apt is, it's missing a few things, meaningful error return numbers for example, a flag set each fully completed upgrade, and some other basic stuff that would not be that hard to do in apt, but I don't believe they are done.