Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Touchpad for Lenovo Ideapad 3 not found after launching Wintersky Live CD(USB)  (Read 2959 times)

Offline bad_aptitude

• User
I have tried the Grub boot code "pci=nocrs" which has worked with previous Siduction versions.
This doesn't fix the problem with Wintersky.
I'm not familiar with the new Grub menu, so I may not be adding the boot code correctly, but I have tried adding "pci=nocrs" after entering command mode (typing "c").
I've also tried inserting "pci=nocrs"  into the grub script after entering edit mode (typing "e")
I've also tried UEFI and legacy boot with the above combinations.

Offline mdmarmer

• User
I have an Ideapad 3. I tried adding the pci=nocrs boot code to grub before booting Wintersky from usb.  I wasn't successful -- my system wouldn't boot after I tried to make the change.

The boot code interacts only with the kernel -- if it doesn't work for you with the kernel in Wintersky after installation, you can install a kernel which had your touchpad working before.

Note also that siduction is rolling release -- if you have a fully upgraded system installed, you don't need to use the Wintersky .iso

If you need graphical capabilities before you get the touchpad working you could use a mouse.  Very small mice are available.

Mike

Offline bad_aptitude

• User
I came across the following fix applied to grub, on the askubuntu forum.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pci=nocrs"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="initcall_blacklist=elants_i2c_driver_init"

Any thoughts about the safety of "initcall_blacklist=elants_i2c_driver_init"
I would like to try this before installing Wintersky. Is there a way to add  "initcall_blacklist=elants_i2c_driver_init" as a boot code? Would it need any special syntax?

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Same fix is mentioned on the Lenovo forum at https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Ubuntu/Ideapad-5-14ARE05-linux-touchpad-issue/m-p/5022961. I dont see any security implication here, as it is a simple blacklisting. The command-line parameter 'initcall_blacklist' enables you to block a driver that is not a module, but a built-in. More info on this here https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/276392/how-to-block-drivers-built-into-kernel-i-e-drivers-who-are-not-a-module

Offline mdmarmer

• User
I tried this on my Ideapad 3.  No luck. I tried just pci=nocrs and the system did not boot from the Wintersky .iso. With both pci=nocrs and 'initcall_blacklist=elants_i2c_driver_init' i got a successful boot, but the touchpad didn't work.  With no boot codes, the result was the same (successful boot, no touchpad).  One way to install Wintersky on my system and get the touchpad working would be to install the system and then install and use another kernel with pci=nocrs.

Note that the older .iso versions of siduction are still available and a recent one could probably be upgraded to the latest (equivalent to Wintersky) easily.

I have had difficulty with some of the siduction kernels before and I'm now using the latest liquorix kernel.  If you want to try a liquorix kernel, you'll need to add this repository to your sources:
http://liquorix.net/debian/ sid main

Mike

Offline towo

• Administrator
  • User
Try
Code: [Select]
i8042.nopnp=1 pci=nocrsas boot parameter.
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

Offline bad_aptitude

• User
I just tried i8042.nopnp=1 pci=nocrs with the live USB to no avail.
Editing the the grub script(after entering "e" on the Grub Menu) caused grub to not find the media and drop into the busybox shell.
I tried adding the text as a command using the Grub Menu item below "from Stick/HDD ..." . Then if I launched using Menu item "from Stick/HDD ..." also caused grub to not find the media and drop into the busybox shell..
By adding the text as a command using the Grub Menu item below "from Stick/HDD ..." and launching using Menu item"from CD/DVD/ISO ..." it boots but the touchpad still doesn't work.
I also tried entering command mode by typing "c" at the Grub Menu and entering  i8042.nopnp=1 pci=nocrs  followed by ESC and then launching from either "from Stick/HDD ..."  or "from CD/DVD/ISO ..." . Neither had any effect on the Touchpad.