Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Firefox  (Read 1998 times)

Offline titan

• User
Firefox
« on: 2022/01/11, 20:21:14 »
Is there any way to fix the annoying message that you sometimes get when clicking a link

Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To use Firefox, you must first close the existing Firefox process, restart your device, or use a different profile.

Offline Lanzi

• User
Re: Firefox
« Reply #1 on: 2022/01/13, 22:36:03 »
Ihad it some years ago for a while. don't remember the exact solution.
I think, you need to delete a specific temp file.
Sorry for not remembering more.

But it wasn't complicated at all!

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2022/01/17, 13:21:44 »
Just an update, I tried all the internet solutions most seemed to involve deleting the lock and parental locks from the profile file also tried new profile and troubleshooting mode with no luck. Firefox also seemed to be slow resolving urls I tried different  DNS servers. In the end I gave up. Reinstalled Brave and all my problems disappeared and seems faster. I have used Firefox since it came out and still have it installed but for the moment will be using Brave.

Offline finotti

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2022/01/17, 14:39:38 »
Is there any way to fix the annoying message that you sometimes get when clicking a link

Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To use Firefox, you must first close the existing Firefox process, restart your device, or use a different profile.

I must say I cannot reproduce it here...

Code: [Select]
$ apt policy firefox
firefox:
  Installed: 96.0.1-1
  Candidate: 96.0.1-1
  Version table:
 *** 96.0.1-1 500
        500 http://httpredir.debian.org/debian sid/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Did you try removing (after backing up) your configuration?  Or to simply start firefox with a new profile?

You could also try firefox straight from mozilla.org to see if it makes any difference.

Also, when it happens, do you see firefox running in the background?  (With htop you can press F4 and search for a firefox process.)  If so, you can kill it, if not, there should be a leftover lock file.  In that case maybe it is not closing properly.  Do you explicitly close firefox (with Ctrl + Q) or you just logout?  (I actually do not have this problem when I just logout, but it is better to close it before logging out.)

Do you have many extensions installed?  If you have the patience, you can disable them and slowly enable them one by one and see if you can find if one them is causing the trouble.  (For the record, I have uBlock Origin, Disconnect, Privacy Badger, Facebook Container, and Plasma Integration (plus a couple more) running without problems.)

Just a few suggestions...

Offline Lanzi

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2022/01/17, 18:45:51 »
I remember. I was with high probability the "lock"-file.

I had this problem with few extensions and my firefoxprofile is running since 1997  :P ;D
Luckyly the problem is gone. It never came back.

Brave is a good solution. But if some time has passed, I would search again. Good hunting!

Offline Geier0815

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2022/01/17, 21:10:45 »
Just a little crazy idea: Did you use iceweasel, back in the day? Is there maybe a profile or a configuration folder left from this?
Wenn Windows die Lösung ist...
kann ich dann bitte das Problem zurück haben?