Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] A strange problem with the nvidia driver  (Read 5790 times)

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
[EN] Re: A strange problem with the nvidia driver
« Reply #15 on: 2019/03/03, 14:14:27 »
Now, here we go again

nouveau SUCKS for a lot of people and a lot of cards

I happen to own one of those cards, the intermediate freeze's and total lockups where only a hard reboot is a must every 5 minutes is not what I call a good experience. (it has got better, it doesn't happen every 5 minutes, but still happens) This was even before I attempted to start a game or something simple like firefox, konqueror.

Don't tell me to buy Intel, AMD, or use nouveau, because after all, linux is about choice, not what others preach and this is also the year 2019.

I chose nvidia because I was a ati guy before, but, in the late 90's, ati drivers sucked in linux, as years went by they got even worse for gaming. I am a father/grandfather who does not own a xbox/playstation and don't plan on it in the future, I also won't boot to windows.

A search engine shows (years 2018/2019) what I am saying here is spot on about nouveau.

The times I have been thanked on IRC for having people install the "dreaded nvidia drivers"  because their computers freeze and lockup is also proof.

I am all for free software, but, if the developers of "operating systems" can't get some things right, people will move on, maybe move right back to windows or a version of linux that supports proprietary drivers and don't shove the free ones that don't work as good as the proprietary ones down peoples throats .

In time, this will get worse with free drivers (gpu) (linux is on 3-4 % of the world, it doesn't matter)

I, myself would rather use proprietary drivers than going back to windows or buy a card like Intel that can't be used for gaming, the benchmarks (yes, benchmarks are useless) as of today AMD still don't cut it for "gaming" against nvidia and some modern games have problems that nvidia just doesn't have.

You go to any gaming site recently  (by the way 2028 is a long ways off,  you need to search what that means if you don't already know for graphics cards)

The battle between Nvidia and AMD continue, I know a lot of these guys and I trust the guys that own both cards (the most recent expensive)

Quote from: Enverex
Here is detailed explanation

As someone that recently used an AMD card and Nvidia card in the same machine, they aren't wrong.

There are still lots of "Oh, this doesn't work on Mesa yet" or "You need to try doing all these workarounds if you're on Mesa" issues on the open source AMD drivers which isn't an issue on Nvidia.

It's 95% the way there, but that 5% of issues with games simply doesn't exist on the Nvidia side of things. This will disappear in time, but to pretend it doesn't exist right now is misleading people (and me, which really pissed me off when I found all these issues that everyone was silent about on Reddit).

I'm referring purely to gaming here, nothing else.

Quote from: RussianNeuroMancer
With ATI, if you pass an invalid arg, or call a method at the wrong time, they will generate the correct error. This sadly leads to a situation where a developer uses an NVidia card for development, ships, and then it won't run on ATI or Intel cards. The upshot is that people incorrectly assume that ATI drivers suck. They don't. Nvidia drivers are the ones that suck!"

Quote from: UrbenLegend
The problem is that if you don't have an Nvidia gpu you have games that break now. Forget about 2028. That's all speculation. The fact is you still have games that need workarounds with AMD. There are some people who are willing to accept that but there also those that will not, which is why I think /u/RussianNeuroMancer's post is being needlessly elitist by assuming that everyone using Linux is masochistic enough to buy GPUs that may or may not run the games that they purchase.

I just can't buy a GPU that I am not even sure will work or not. It's a lot of money.

Everyone here is saying we should blindly support AMD even though functionality doesn't work. But that's like backing a Kickstarter.

In the final end, it's all about choice, in my own experience, in everything I have read/researched/followed in todays modern linux,  proprietary drivers will always win over free drivers, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline unklarer

• User
Re: A strange problem with the nvidia driver
« Reply #16 on: 2019/03/03, 15:49:18 »
@piper,

I'm not a gambler. I am a "normal" Linuxer.
With me there were always only ati cards. Coincidence.
That's why my main graphics card died yesterday.   :o

That's what I wanted to tell you for your valuable threads and thank you very much!   ;)

Offline axt

• User
    • axebase.net
« Reply #17 on: 2019/03/03, 16:12:34 »
piper, have a cup of tea! ;-)

In another forum...I have been concerned for years about the problems of users with nvidia drivers (because you have to explain to them over and over again how to install them correctly).

I also used them myself for a lot of years (they have their advantages), but I have had to be annoyed again and again about their incompatibility to current kernels.

But current kernels are important to me. Really up-to-date. With nouveau they are possible. Of course you should know the limitations.

Everyone has to know it for themselves. I don't missionize, I only advise.

...and Radeon...I use an old notebook with C2D at the customer's site. The Radeon HD5400 runs at full load under siduction default (the battery is empty in no time, the notebook gets hot). Reducing this with DPM doesn't really work so far. Not so great.
« Last Edit: 2019/03/03, 16:18:05 by axt »

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #18 on: 2019/03/04, 01:08:01 »
axt

Shit,  you just made me realize I forgot my fucking smileys in the above post, makes me sound like an arrogant bastard  ...  wait a minute ... I am   :P

Tea  that's a damn insult ! 

My wife is British, not me, real men drink beer and Jack Daniel's, not some shit drink that I would wash down with panther piss ;)

Nvidia drivers have to be one of the easiest drivers to install/remove, what makes it really messed up and confusing is debian's wiki on how to do it.

That page should be totally deleted, did you know if you follow that wiki to install nvidia drivers you can install siduction operating system faster, I shit you not, been there, did that, and have the t-shirt.

==========================
 install abort, close the terminal
==========================
O: siduction was successfully installed to hd.
O: Exiting after 2:35.
O: siduction-installer terminated
root@siduction:/home/siducer#

That's using cli-installer, and is this install kde - (201901291115)

Hell, back in the knoppix and kanotix they were easy also, I believe back then we used dmakms, kernel-source, and a xorg.conf, then it was just a matter of running sh./nvidia-linux -whatever.run

fglrx was a little harder to install till kano made his script ;), I was a proud owner of a 128Mb ATI Radeon 9800 Pro ALL IN WONDER which replaced my vga wonder ;) back then.

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 15 years later, what can it play?!  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH9spMhAbS0

My rant is over :P

ψ-ψ-ψ-ψ-ψ-ψ-ψ-ψ-ψ-ψ-ψ

unklarer

Herzlichen Dank :)

« Last Edit: 2019/03/04, 01:23:15 by piper »
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline tommy2

• User
« Reply #19 on: 2019/03/04, 09:49:09 »
@piper, that's Jack on the rocks straight up for the best effect!  8)

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #20 on: 2019/03/04, 12:23:17 »
@tommy2, In a rock glass (trinkglas)  yes, on the rocks no, ice = water =ruined :P

« Last Edit: 2019/03/04, 12:47:38 by piper »

Offline tommy2

• User
« Reply #21 on: 2019/03/04, 14:08:31 »
@piper, that's for Sunday's single barrel sip-pen. ;D

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #22 on: 2019/03/04, 16:22:41 »
@tommy2  :P

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #23 on: 2019/03/06, 00:27:38 »
nouveau SUCKS for a lot of people and a lot of cards
At least you didn't say for everyone with every card.
Nvidia freezes my old system with GTX560Ti every couple of days, nouveau works well.  No gaming lately.
Nvidia works well on my newer system with GTX970.  Some games are OK at 4K but some I need to run at HD for decent frame rates.  Seems to work OK with nouveau but I haven't pushed it.
Both have 4k monitors but GTX560Ti only supports up to 2560 x 1440.

Back to my cup of green tea.  ;D

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #24 on: 2019/03/06, 04:24:46 »
Damn Brits :P

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #25 on: 2019/03/06, 14:03:21 »
Damn Brits :P
Who's a Brit? I come from a land down under.
I also occasionally enjoy a Jack, or a Canadian Club, or a Jameson. Multinational taste in whiskey!   ;) 8)
« Last Edit: 2019/03/06, 14:06:44 by sunrat »

samu

« Reply #26 on: 2019/03/07, 12:31:33 »
Hi. Thank you for your answers to the subject. Back to Nvidia....

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #27 on: 2019/03/08, 23:02:09 »
Quote from:  sunrat
Who's a Brit? I come from a land down under.
I also occasionally enjoy a Jack, or a Canadian Club, or a Jameson. Multinational taste in whiskey!   ;) 8)

Oh my, oh dear, that is a major insult to you, my apologies !!! :P

For some reason I thought you were from England, my boo-boo

My son enjoys Jameson