Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  installer automount bug  (Read 16769 times)

rolandl

installer automount bug
« on: 2012/06/27, 05:39:18 »
Tried to install siduction 12.1.1 x64 to sdb1, sdb2 as home. Good thing I opened a terminal and ran 'df' before proceeding. It had mounted sda1,sda2,sda4, and sdb4 all to /tmp/partinfo-mount (on top of each other) without my permission !! It would have wiped my other OS (mint) and all my data partitions. Ran 'sudo umount', it complained until I found the right order and unmounted last-one-first. Aborted the install.

Separate rant: USB stick won't boot if I use unetbootin. 'dd' works, but it destroys a perfectly good filesystem, and rebuilding that is a PITA. Resolved: if your OS won't boot via unetbootin, it is broken. Non-buntu debians all seem to have these problems.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
installer automount bug
« Reply #1 on: 2012/06/27, 08:07:10 »
So debian is broken because it does not work with unetbootin? That's funny.
If you would have looked at our manual, you would have seen that there is a iso2usb to write siduction to a usb stick.

If the installer has the described flaw, that would be a grave bug. Could you please explain exactly what you did to provoke this behaviour?

greetz
devil

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Re: installer automount bug
« Reply #2 on: 2012/06/28, 19:19:20 »
Quote from: "rolandl"
Resolved: if your OS won't boot via unetbootin, it is broken. Non-buntu debians all seem to have these problems.

This is the funnest thing I have heard in years, especially this part Non-buntu debians[/color]

Dude, can you explain in vivid detail, and perhaps a diagram of what the hell a Non-buntu debian[/color] is ?

1) without debian, there would be no such thing as ubuntu, ubuntu is not even binary compatible with debian

2) your problem is solved by doing the following

Code: [Select]
apt-get remove --purge ubuntu --forever

Ubuntu is not representative of the GNU/Linux based desktop OSes.

friends don't let friends install ubuntu

And I would like thank you again for a good laugh with my morning coffee.
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

holgerw

installer automount bug
« Reply #3 on: 2012/06/29, 08:05:32 »
Hello,

hmmm, strong words, @piper.

Ubuntu community is very friendly and helpful, that's clear but that is not the point. The ubuntu hystery in magazins supressed the reputation of other distributors, for ecxample Debian or OpenSUSE.

A lot of users think, Ubuntu creates a lot of measures for Linux. Unity and sudo concept for example measures for Linux? Sorry, that is a kidding joke.

Well, ubuntu is a distribution with a lot of success, and the german boulevard newspaper BILD is a newspaper with a lot of success. :-)

Kind regards,
  Holger

Offline bluelupo

• User
    • BluelupoMe
installer automount bug
« Reply #4 on: 2012/06/29, 08:59:01 »
Hello Holger,
I think Ubuntu has achieved much in the past for Linux, but now Mark Shuttleworth starts to make a big mistake. Ubuntu moves away rapidly from (Debian) Linux standard. An example is Unity or call upstart. Linux on the desktop can only exist for Windows and MacOS only if all distributions pull together.

How do you currently also want the user sees this not very happy because LinuxMint against Ubuntu is becoming much more popular. The users want Linux at no breakthroughs in the development, but cautious progress in the applications.

Offline agaida

• User
    • http://g-com.eu
installer automount bug
« Reply #5 on: 2012/06/29, 21:41:15 »
Hi all,

i don't think that Mark S. starts to make a big mistake. He drives "his" Linux in the direction he wants. Some of us like it, some not. But thats not the point. In general we can say ubuntu != "Linux", And {siduction, debian, arch, slack, slack, gentoo} != "Linux" too. There is a Kernel with a few DEs, programs and tools around. The so called "Linux". I prefer siduction and arch more than the other projects, but i do not judge them. For me the reason of using  siduction or arch is: "It works for me"™

Other users may have other preferences than me, but they have the choice to search and find and eventually develop their own "Linux".
There's this special biologist word we use for "stable". It's "dead". ~ Jack Cohen

Offline ralul

• User
installer automount bug
« Reply #6 on: 2012/06/29, 23:35:50 »
@agaida +1
And: Linux-Mint success is on the desktop. But the desktop is dead (marketshare of desktop systems slow down - and that also is the reason for Ms to not fight Linux anymore). But Mark S. wants to sell hardware - tablets. That is all about regarding Unity.
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
installer automount bug
« Reply #7 on: 2012/06/30, 01:41:43 »
I do not believe in the "the desktop is dead" myth at all. It's been made up by marketing people as far as I am concerned.

greetz
devil

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
installer automount bug
« Reply #8 on: 2012/06/30, 04:31:16 »
Quote from: "devil"
I do not believe in the "the desktop is dead" myth at all. It's been made up by marketing people as far as I am concerned.

+1

I don't want to encode videos and rip CDs on my tablet or android phone!  Much less run a VM.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

holgerw

installer automount bug
« Reply #9 on: 2012/06/30, 06:22:05 »
Quote from: "devil"

greetz
devil

Hello Ferdinand,

I think you're right, it is marketing. My questions to people, who proclame the death of desktop:
Do you produce longer articels with your tablet or smartphone?
Do you modify all our digital photos with your tablet or smartphone?
Do you think that apart from your needs there is no need anymore for writing long articels or modifying digital photos?

After such questions the d-i-d myth is dead :-)

Kind reagrds,
  Holger

Offline ralul

• User
installer automount bug
« Reply #10 on: 2012/06/30, 15:44:04 »
You all don't get economics when you think it as a "myth". In contrary it is a dumb economical _definition_ you cannot argue about:
If there is no growth there are no additional investments. The _market_ of the desktop is (declared) dead and competitive coprorations do not care about it any more, eg:
- Ms is friend to Linux - against iOS?
- Canonical directs development direction tablets
It is as dead as the industrie of "Kuckucksuhren": They are produced and you can buy one but there are no economical fights about.

Offline piper

• User
installer automount bug
« Reply #11 on: 2012/06/30, 18:13:10 »
Quote from: "holgerw"
Hello,

hmmm, strong words, @piper.

Ubuntu community is very friendly and helpful, that's clear but that is not the point. The ubuntu hystery in magazins supressed the reputation of other distributors, for ecxample Debian or OpenSUSE.

A lot of users think, Ubuntu creates a lot of measures for Linux. Unity and sudo concept for example measures for Linux? Sorry, that is a kidding joke.

Well, ubuntu is a distribution with a lot of success, and the german boulevard newspaper BILD is a newspaper with a lot of success. :-)

Kind regards,
  Holger

Personally, I don't think such strong words, more truth.   The difference between debian and ubuntu is pretty big and ubuntu is drifting farther apart and "hopefully" one day will be it's "own" os.

Just because shuttleworth has the marketing skills to promote the "ubs" doesn't make "ub" the "standard" of linux.

Look around at different forums, alot of people have no clue to what ubuntu is related to debian and actually think "ubuntu=linux" or better yet that I have corrected more than a few times that debian came from ubuntu  :shock:

Now, as the op's topic, I have mageia, mandriva, opensuse, debian, sabayon, aptosid,  installed and I have no problems and I don't use/need or want "unetbootin"

I just built this and installed with no problems and installed a few other systems with no problems. I have not checked out usb sticks as of yet.
Code: [Select]
piper@x1:~$ inxi -F
System:    Host: x1 Kernel: 3.4-4.towo-siduction-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: KDE 4.8.4 Distro: siduction 12.1 Desperado-Beta - kde - (201206252137)
Machine:   Mobo: Gigabyte model: GA-MA770-S3 version: x.x Bios: Award version: F6 date: 01/05/2009
CPU:       Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 svm)
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1000.00 MHz 2: 1000.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GF106 [GeForce GTS 450] X.Org: 1.12.1.902 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1200@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTS 450/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.2.0 NVIDIA 302.17
Audio:     Card-1: NVIDIA GF106 High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.25
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:1d:7d:d8:0e:cf
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2320.5GB (67.4% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST3320620AS size: 320.1GB
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: ST31000528AS size: 1000.2GB 3: id: /dev/sdc model: ST31000528AS size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID: / size: 187G used: 7.3G (4%) fs: reiserfs ID: swap-1 size: 1.07GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 28.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 38C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 151 Uptime: 3 min Memory: 616.2/7991.4MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.5

My main problem with this post and the exact one at distrowatch is this

Non-buntu debians

I don't know about you. but that tells me this person is new to linux in general, or has been Ubuntized beyond Recognition or known as UBR/ubr  and knows nothing else and that ubuntu is indeed linux and there is no other distro.

Yes, ubuntu has some success, but is not god, and is not linux

Choice is good, and I am glad I don't use/want/need an ub

You may look at this as strong words, your entitled to your opinion :):)

I look at it as truth.
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline agaida

• User
    • http://g-com.eu
installer automount bug
« Reply #12 on: 2012/06/30, 19:57:47 »
@piper:
Without ubuntu and their weird sense of humor i would never ever have tried out arch or sid :D

See also: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ubuntu - Ubuntu is an ancient african word, meaning "I can't configure Debian"
There's this special biologist word we use for "stable". It's "dead". ~ Jack Cohen

Offline ralul

• User
installer automount bug
« Reply #13 on: 2012/06/30, 23:16:44 »
As nobody claims to know how to configure thousands of Debians applications, it might be the african meaning is "just for all".

Offline piper

• User
installer automount bug
« Reply #14 on: 2012/07/03, 18:35:51 »
Quote from: "agaida"
@piper:
Without ubuntu and their weird sense of humor i would never ever have tried out arch or sid :D

See also: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ubuntu - Ubuntu is an ancient african word, meaning "I can't configure Debian"

While I agree with the notion that ubuntu (mint) is a good place to start for people who came from windows and is a good choice. I just don't like what they do to debian and some apps/debs/sudo/etc.

There was no ubuntu when I ventured into linux  ;)

I tried every distro back then to learn them all, at the time was very into mandrake and stayed with the rpm hell till woody, made me debian full-time

Ubuntu an ancient African word Meaning Debian for Tots   (humour take with a grain of salt)

Sent from my crapper on my motwx435 using tapatalk