Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [solved] can't set up passwordless login on KDE/AMD64  (Read 20576 times)

Offline ayla

• User
Hi,

tried to set the passwordless login in systemsettings-> System Administration -> Login Screen -> Convienence as I do since years on my desktop.

Settings:

Enable Auto-login marked
User $myuser
specified $myuser
Enable Password-Less Login marked
No password requiered for: $myuser marked

On login KDM neverthless is asking for user/password before login.

repeated on two installs.

greets
ayla
« Last Edit: 2013/12/23, 22:01:44 by ayla »

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: can't set up passwordless login on KDE/AMD64
« Reply #1 on: 2013/12/23, 19:49:35 »
If it was KDM, you posted to the wrong section. My guess is, you mean lightdm, that we use for all flavours for now.
That said, you need to go to
Code: [Select]
/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and edit the line:
Code: [Select]
#autologin-user=siducer accordingly.

greetz
devil

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2013/12/23, 22:01:20 »
My guess is, you mean lightdm, that we use for all flavours for now.

Of course you are right. I haven't seen KDM login screen very often, so I didn't noticed the change.

Your solution works well.

Thanks
ayla

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: 2013/12/24, 00:06:15 »
... you mean lightdm, that we use for all flavours for now.

Hey devil, is it easy to change a system from kdm to lightdm -- is the procedure already written somewhere?

Thanks!

System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: [solved] can't set up passwordless login on KDE/AMD64
« Reply #4 on: 2013/12/24, 01:04:42 »
Removing kdm and installing siduction-settings-lightdm-december should do the trick.

greetz
devil

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2013/12/24, 01:36:30 »
What is lightdm offering kdm doesn't provide?

As much as I can understand and appreciate to have a default DM for all flavors, I wonder why the decission went for lightdm and not for kdm to do so?
BTW, I allways use kdm for all installations since kanotix times, but once I tried lightdm, and I felt it APITA to configure it. That was time ago.
« Last Edit: 2013/12/24, 01:42:44 by michaa7 »
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #6 on: 2013/12/24, 02:02:25 »
there are several reasons for the change:
* we want to have only one DM for all flavours because of the needed manpower
* kdm is a pita to customize
* kdm is dead - see http://aseigo.blogspot.de/2013/03/logging-into-plasma-workspaces-2.html
* lightdm works good with systemd 204-x
* i don't like kdm - see reasons above

To be clear: lightdm is a compromize - it's mature, stable, scriptable, looks good - bad thing is: Canonical is behind it, so we should have alternatives for the future. This future can be eventually sddm - but it is in a very early state.

Quote from: Maximilian Robespierre, 1790
On ne saurait faire une omelette sans casser des oeufs.

By the way - Three hours before the release of the rc1 we decide, that gnome should come with lightdm too because of major faults in the combination gdm3/systemd. :) - So we think, that lightdm is the best solution for now. If anyone don't like lightdm, feel free to purge it and go with siduction-settings-gdm3-december, siduction-settings-kdm-december or siduction-settings-slim-december, but keep in mind that we are not able nor willing to support or develop these DMs with full power. If there are bugs - we would be glad to accept and apply patches.
« Last Edit: 2013/12/24, 02:07:31 by melmarker »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #7 on: 2013/12/24, 02:17:26 »
Removing kdm and installing siduction-settings-lightdm-december should do the trick.

Wow -- it really is just that simple.  I am impressed again!  Thank you (team) for this great work.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline towo

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #8 on: 2013/12/24, 10:11:37 »
As much as I can understand and appreciate to have a default DM for all flavors, I wonder why the decission went for lightdm and not for kdm to do so?
Why should anyone want kdm in xfce or gnome flavour?
No one, who wants those DE's want the KDE depends, which come with KDM.
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2013/12/24, 11:19:21 »
As I see it it is a win.
My system is up from hitting enter on grub screen to full funktion in lesser than half the time it needed before.
Of course this is due to systemd, but I guess lightdm also has it's share on this.
A litttle more ore not so comfortable work on configuration, ok. I can live with that very well.

Again a good job, team.

thanks
ayla

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #10 on: 2013/12/24, 16:24:28 »
I have to admit, I like the looks of sddm, hopefully it matures enough
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

mylo

« Reply #11 on: 2013/12/26, 21:54:36 »
On my fresh install kdm and siduction-settings-lightdm-december came both with the installation. I use kde.
Do I have to purge or is it recommended to purge kdm though?

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #12 on: 2013/12/27, 00:07:43 »
unfortunally not - but you can with updated packages
http://chili.siduction.org/issues/1440

btw - nice finding, thank you
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline spacepenguin

• User
    • spacepenguin.de
« Reply #13 on: 2014/01/14, 01:04:20 »

IMHO it is the better way to install lightdm-kde-greeter instead of siduction-settings-lightdm-december because with lightdm-kde-greeter lightdm is configurable through systemsettings (theme, autologin, background picture).
Susan | Hardware: SysProfile
Music-Profile: http://www.last.fm/de/user/spacepengu

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #14 on: 2014/01/14, 17:25:17 »
Mit dieser Idee stehst Du ziemlich allein da - macht aber nichts, wie bereits mehrfach ausgeführt unterstützen wir den kde-greeter momentan noch nicht. Das kann sich eventuell in Zukunft ändern - oder aber die Zukunft bringt was anderes, wie zum Beispiel einen neuen DM. Es gibt also viele mögliche Entwicklungen.