Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  sidu-installer will not start -Xfce-amd64  (Read 17089 times)

Offline pjnsmb

• User
sidu-installer will not start -Xfce-amd64
« on: 2013/12/24, 07:50:48 »
Hallo

I have tried a usb stick, and a dvd burned with  'burniso' from the same iso with a correct md5sum .

The chromium web browser is working fine in live mode.

When I try to start the sidu-installer,on both methods, I get the same web page details showing :

Server: BaseHTTP/0.3 Python/2.7.6
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 06:29:03 GMT
Content-Type: text/html
Connection: close

<html>
<head>
<title>Error response</title>
<head>
<body>
<h1>Error response</h1>
<p>Error code 500
<p>Message:

Server error in /autopart
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/pywwetha/source/pywwetha.py", line 699, in do_it
    self.handleDjinn(method, config)
  File "/usr/share/pywwetha/source/pywwetha.py", line 671, in handleDjinn
    response = application.__call__(self._wsgiEnvironment, self.startResponse)
  File "/usr/share/pywwetha/djinn/wsgihandler.py", line 120, in __call__
    rc = self.handle(application, docRoot, startResponse)
  File "/usr/share/pywwetha/djinn/wsgihandler.py", line 94, in handle
    rc = handler.__call__(self._request)
  File "/usr/share/sidu-installer/installer/views.py", line 61, in autopart
    rc = handlePage(AutoPartPage(session), request, session)
  File "/usr/share/sidu-installer/isource/autopartpage.py", line 25, in __init__
    self._diskInfo = DiskInfoPage(self)
  File "/usr/share/sidu-installer/isource/diskinfopage.py", line 131, in __init__
    self.importPartitionInfo()
  File "/usr/share/sidu-installer/isource/diskinfopage.py", line 292, in importPartitionInfo
    info += date
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe1 in position 16: ordinal not in range(128)

</body>
</html>

I have tried using the desktop icon and from the applications menu with the same result.

Is it possible to progress with this error showing ?

regards
pjnsmb

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: sidu-installer will not start -Xfce-amd64
« Reply #1 on: 2013/12/24, 08:14:37 »
Does cli-installer work?
I never saw this output before, will send the traceback to the guy who last worked on the installer.

greetz
devil

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #2 on: 2013/12/24, 08:54:44 »
try in the terminal

Code: [Select]
sidu-installer-control start
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline pjnsmb

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2013/12/24, 09:13:33 »
sorry for the delay guys

just been installing using the cli-installer method which has worked ok..............

never stop learning , it's the first time I have used this way  :)

thanks
regards
pjnsmb

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2013/12/25, 18:31:53 »
 Just confirming that I get the same error. Installing xfce to an old T60, the graphical installer makes the same fault as below, doesn't matter how you start it. cli-installer works as su.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #5 on: 2013/12/25, 18:41:03 »
another time: this may be happend with older machines - timing problems with the autostart i think - please try to start the installer with:

and please - give feedback, if it work
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2013/12/25, 21:31:17 »
another time: this may be happend with older machines - timing problems with the autostart i think - please try to start the installer with:

and please - give feedback, if it work

@melmarker,  That's what I meant with " doesn't matter how you start it" The above command will start the graphical installer exactly as clicking on the desktop-icon. After clicking "next" the first time I will come to terminal window with the same or similar message as pjnsmb. To be clear, I don't know about pjnsmb but the installer window start and it's after first click on "next" as the problem hit me.
« Last Edit: 2013/12/25, 21:35:02 by vilde »

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #7 on: 2013/12/25, 21:45:47 »
ok - understood :)

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2013/12/25, 21:55:37 »
Just for checking i tried the same again on the T60 and on two other laptops, and I can't reproduce the bug, the installer just works now!!! I used the same usb-stick with xfce 32 bit and tried several times on the T60 and one time each on the two others! The only difference I can think of is that the battery charge was close to zero when I did the first faulty tests but AC power was on.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #9 on: 2013/12/25, 22:41:30 »
it can be a timing problem or some kind of black magic - can you check please the Language Settings on these computers - it may be, that this can help us.

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2013/12/25, 22:48:21 »
it can be a timing problem or some kind of black magic - can you check please the Language Settings on these computers - it may be, that this can help us.
How do you mean that I shall try?

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #11 on: 2013/12/25, 23:01:25 »
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe1 in position 16: ordinal not in range(128)
it may be, that two of your computers have different language settings than the third - knowing that would help a lot - we are currently searching for one or two f***ing letters, umlauts or such things - which are displayed or handled correct with other language sets - maybe a historical overcome or simply a typo :)

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2013/12/25, 23:14:49 »
First, the problem has gone also on the T60 where I had the problem. Where is the language setting in the computer?

Language setting is only in the os on the usb-stick or the hard-disk?

I used the default language us-english and swedish keyboard when the fault ocured. 

Sorry for the spelling but spell-checking is still not working for me on this forum, (another thrad about that)

Offline unklarer

• User
« Reply #13 on: 2013/12/26, 10:40:41 »
Entschuldigt bitte, wenn ich hier auf deutsch schreibe!

Ich habe exakt den hier beschriebenen Fehler beim Versuch der LXDEx86_64 Installation.
Auch der Aufruf des Installer mit dem Befehl von melmarker im Terminal hat dieses Ergebnis.

Der Computer (Desktop) stammt ursprünglich aus England und die Bios-Spracheinstellung ist ENGLISCH.
Weitere Sprachen wären japanisch / chinesisch (?). Das Bios ist ein Ami-Bios mit Build-Date 02/23/09

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #14 on: 2013/12/26, 11:52:02 »
Es sind keine Entschuldigungen notwendig, Informationen sind in jeder Sprache gewünsch - ok, in kisuaheli, japanisch, burmesisch vielleicht nicht so eingängig - aber wichtig. Für den Rest gibt es den google Translator. Danke, ich hoffe, es hilft, diesen heisenbug einzugrenzen.