Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Important services failed to start  (Read 2013 times)

Offline clubex

• User
Important services failed to start
« on: 2017/07/01, 00:48:54 »
This one has me stumped.
After yesterday's DDU the libboost and d-bus produced an "which is also in" error. A reboot
produced failures to start the following services:
Code: [Select]
login,realtime scheduling policy,Avahi,Moden manager, Accounts,rtkit and network manager.
and just huing. I can't even get to a terminal or read the logs or connect to the internet.

Any ideas anyone how I can recover my system?

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: Important services failed to start
« Reply #1 on: 2017/07/01, 00:51:30 »
just wait or use snapshots.debian.org
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline clubex

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2017/07/01, 12:12:40 »
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

The system just hangs. No keyboard or mouse input. Only a physical reset of the machine is possible. I am unable to do anything to my system apart from booting with a live CD and examining the contents of the hard drive. ie I'm locked out of my system. So waiting will be useless because I can't get into the system in order to run a fresh DU.

Secondly luckily I have a disk image which unfortunately is approximately 1 week old  I can extract the important data from the old borked system and transfer that to a newly restored system. But I shouldn't have to do that. After all this is a modern bleeding edge system. I should be able to get the system up and running without resorting to such methods.

I suppose, given that D-bus and boost are allied with systemd, the real question here is why has their upgrade borked my system so badly that it's virtually impossible for me to repair?

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #3 on: 2017/07/01, 12:23:37 »
@clubex - waiting will help - and using snapshots too, i would suggest the first. One might need a live boot medium (cd, dvd, stick), boot, chroot into the environment and repair. Did i mention that the freeze is over?
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2017/07/01, 13:50:12 »
You can try from grub to boot with added 'systemd.unit=emergency.target' or 'systemd.unit=rescue.target' if by any change you get into the system. If so, you probably need to remount root filesystem writable with
Code: [Select]
mount -o remount,rw / before you try to manually bring up network, reconfigure dpkg and update with apt.  If emergency or rescue do not work, you need to chroot as melmarker mentioned.
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline clubex

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2017/07/01, 23:54:12 »
Thanks guys.
I might try der_bud's idea tomorrow if I have time.

At the moment (and for a little while) I need a stable system. So I'm going to swap out the siduction drive and plug in one with Debian 9 on it . Siduction can wait for the time being.

Offline clubex

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2017/07/05, 11:31:01 »
Everything back in order since last night.

I noticed an updated systemd was available so I swapped in the siduction drive. chrooted in, did an autoclean and autoremove (Which I hadn't done for a very, very long time and probably was the initial cause of the "which is also in" error and did a DU without any problems. Only took about 15mins.

So "wait" was good advice if only to give me time to think.
Thank you.