Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Solved: Warning ( gdm3 is broken )  (Read 6955 times)

Offline agaida

• User
    • http://g-com.eu
Re: Status update
« Reply #15 on: 2013/10/26, 01:42:42 »
have tested this with our live-cds and some folks in the IRC - should work without problems.

debian runs in the same problem now - with all possible consequences aka eventually switching to a new standard desktop (xfce), the temp. retirement of a systemd developer and much more mailinglist fun and flamewars. Hmm, i think the switch to lightdm for the moment is not such invasive ...
There's this special biologist word we use for "stable". It's "dead". ~ Jack Cohen

Offline DeepDayze

• User
Re: Status update
« Reply #16 on: 2013/10/26, 01:54:32 »
Quote from: "agaida"
have tested this with our live-cds and some folks in the IRC - should work without problems.

debian runs in the same problem now - with all possible consequences aka eventually switching to a new standard desktop (xfce), the temp. retirement of a systemd developer and much more mailinglist fun and flamewars. Hmm, i think the switch to lightdm for the moment is not such invasive ...

Sounds like a plan so perhaps I'll temporarily disable gdm3 and switch to lightdm. How well does it handle GNOME 3?

OK switched to Lightdm and so far it works fine, but many of the existing Gnome-shell extensions are broken but was able to update many of them

Any tricks to get Lightdm to behave and look like gdm3?

Offline michaaa62

• User
Re: Warning ( gdm3 is broken )
« Reply #17 on: 2013/11/07, 08:13:45 »
gdm3 seems to be working again in version 3.8.4-3, but autologin does not work still.

Offline agaida

• User
    • http://g-com.eu
Re: Warning ( gdm3 is broken )
« Reply #18 on: 2013/11/09, 01:34:04 »
One can try to install libpam-systemd - as far as i know should it be present - even in the case one don't use systemd. But maybe i didn't get it right :)

If this helps in any case, drop a message.
There's this special biologist word we use for "stable". It's "dead". ~ Jack Cohen

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
[solved:] Warning ( gdm3 is broken )
« Reply #19 on: 2013/11/18, 09:35:02 »
Hello my dear gnome users!

The transition to gnome 3.8 has done a big step forward:
Code: [Select]
3.8.4-6 gdm3
3.8.4-4 gnome-shell
3.8.4-2 gnome-shell-extensions
3.8.4-3 gnome-session
3.8.3-4 gnome-control-center
3.8.4-1 gnome-themes-standard
3.10.1-1 gnome-terminal
3.6.2-2 gnome-panel
3.6.2-2 gnome-session-fallback
204-5  systemd
204-5  libpam-systemd
204-5  libsystemd-daemon0
204-5  libsystemd-journal0
204-5  libsystemd-login0

I have done a successful dist-upgrade on firestarter-gnome. Finally gdm3 allowed me to login and so i will close this thread. Please feel free to open new threads if you encounter any issues. I'm now looking forward to explore the shiny new gnome 3.8 desktop.

greetings
musca
β€žEs irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.β€œ  (Goethe, Faust)