seduction
 Language:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
2021/05/13, 08:32:47

Help

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: TuxMachines Noticed  (Read 1790 times)

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
TuxMachines Noticed
« on: 2021/02/24, 06:30:40 »
Guess I'm not the only one who still looks at DistroWatch 

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/147682#comment-28392     

And it comes with a 2 videos!!!   

« Last Edit: 2021/02/24, 07:00:36 by GoinEasy9 »
Linux Counter number 348347

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: TuxMachines Noticed
« Reply #1 on: 2021/02/24, 19:45:39 »
Ha ha -- "died three years ago" -- he obviously never checked this forum! There are many signs of life here!   ;D
Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO, 2@WD2003FZEX in BTRFS

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2021/02/24, 22:04:08 »
I watched that DistroTube video. He says some things which are incorrect, most glaringly "Digikam is a webcam program"!
I breezed through several other of his videos too. He seems to have done very little research on some, particularly distros that are not Arch. More clickbait than fact and I posted a comment on one where he claims Mozilla are against a free internet where the blog post he based it on is just decrying the proliferation of lies and misinformation. I expect to get flamed for that as most of the other commenters say they are boycotting Mozilla on his say-so. It's pretty crazy as the only practical way to abandon Mozilla is to go with a Google-based browser - out of the frying pan and into the fire!  ??? ::)

DistroTube is now on my do-not-watch list.

Offline paxmark2

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2021/02/27, 15:10:28 »
His mention of a hope for return of #! (CruncBang)  seemed about a decade old also.   #! was a one man show.   Absolutely delightful on an EEE901 but those days are gone and it has a successor in BunsenLabs for stable with Openbox with a #! flavour.     

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2021/05/04, 09:50:23 »
sunrat said "It's pretty crazy as the only practical way to abandon Mozilla is to go with a Google-based browser - out of the frying pan and into the fire! "

Have a look at Brave, yes based on Chromium but some interesting features and privacy focused, they are also developing their own search engine, developed by ex Firefox CEO. I have used Firefox almost since it came out but have been using Brave for a couple of months and can't see me going back.

https://brave.com/

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #5 on: 2021/05/04, 14:35:23 »
Mozilla bashing is fashionable these days. Just ignore it.

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2021/05/04, 15:20:54 »
Mozilla bashing is fashionable these days. Just ignore it.
I prefer Brave bashing. Not open-source and they have a very strange business model. Even if it was the best browser (it's not imo) I wouldn't use it because of their ethics. They allow you to block ads and then can insert their own for "Brave rewards".

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2021/05/04, 18:51:11 »
Fair enough use which browser you prefer but just get the right information to base your decisions on. Brave is as open source as Firefox see here even Mozilla says . I also think you have misunderstood their business model it seems as open and more ethical than others. All the features can be enabled or not as you wish.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/browsers/compare/brave/

« Last Edit: 2021/05/04, 18:54:26 by titan »

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2021/05/05, 01:07:15 »
OK apologies about the open-source bit, I must have been confusing it with some other Chromium-based browser. I still think their replacing of the content creators' ads is sleazy.
A major concern of mine is that with the rapid rise of Chrome and it's offspring there will come a day when there is no choice but to use them. Google has far too much power and influence already.