Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] I suggest E-17 version on siduction  (Read 26193 times)

Offline titan

• User
[EN] Re: RE: Re: RE: I suggest E-17 version on siduction
« Reply #15 on: 2013/01/06, 11:48:05 »
Quote from: "agaida"
titan: just do it ...

If you mean run E17 I am, and have been for a while. The version in Debian is not that much different from the new release so I will wait for it to appear in the repros. It only took an hour or so to find my way around all the configuration options and get a set up I am happy with.

Offline agaida

• User
    • http://g-com.eu
Re: RE: Re: RE: I suggest E-17 version on siduction
« Reply #16 on: 2013/01/06, 14:59:27 »
I rather thought of a package with siduction settings ... :)
There's this special biologist word we use for "stable". It's "dead". ~ Jack Cohen

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #17 on: 2013/01/13, 20:11:39 »
I am just trying newest Bodhi (ubuntu-12.04 base) in a virtualbox. It is very different, I had to learn the little trickies, for example:

- If I open a menu near the desktop border - I cannot see the content of submenus reaching out of the desktop. Kde shows the submenu the other side then. ... I needed two evenings to push the mouse direction border of the desktop to see the submenu :(

- I found profiles, enabled the composite profile (after installing virtualbox-guest-dkms). Then all my configs of two evenings got lost :(  But it is a beautiful design though ...

- All my desktops are configured to have the close and minimize buttos left - like nearly all desktops nowadays (Xos, ubuntu, gnome). But I cannot find that option yet for Enlightenmet :( The gui config of Enlightenent has a very different tree to reach what you want. Maybe there is some search facility (Anything?). Think of all Kde options and multiply this number with three - that is what you have to learn if you want to reign your enlightenment desktop but not the other way round.

- Bodhi has a taskbar with icons, but they start a new instance, not aktivating an already started instance of a program like standard nowadays.

The list goes on with these little differences ...
After three days - getting used to Enlightenment1 of this Bodhi release - there comes fun slowly more and more. Really impressive performance with little footprint of ressources :)
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #18 on: 2013/01/14, 10:24:37 »
Quote from: "ralul"
... If I open a menu near the desktop border - I cannot see the content of submenus reaching out of the desktop. ...

I found the same one and opened bug #1751 two month ago. They set it on "won't fix", because
Quote from: "trac.enlightenment.org"
"intended behavior. move your mouse towards the submenu and it will adjust."

Did not try that so far because I deleted my e17-testinstall, but if you find that it is still there as an annoying and unexpected behaviour, please reopen that bug or else the nearly similar one bug #1802 which they declared as fixed.

Gruß, der_bud
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #19 on: 2013/01/14, 11:01:51 »
@der_bud, it is intended. In german words:
Enlightenment hat neben Kde und Ubuntu oft einen dritten Weg gefunden, wie der Benutzer agieren soll, auf den man zuerst nicht gleich kommt! Man muss viel neu lernen! Das wollte ich sagen in meinem verkrüppelten Englisch :)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #20 on: 2013/01/14, 17:55:07 »
@der_bud, it is intended. In german words:
Enlightenment hat neben Kde und Ubuntu oft einen dritten Weg gefunden, wie der Benutzer agieren soll, auf den man zuerst nicht gleich kommt! Man muss viel neu lernen! Das wollte ich sagen in meinem verkrüppelten Englisch :)

I think a reasonable translation would be like this:  

"Enlightenment often provides a "third way", not available in KDE or Gnome/Ubuntu, for the user to interact with the desktop."

@der_bud -- On a USB stick Bodhi installation, which I booted on a Dell Latitude E6500, the action is just as you were informed.  If your cursor is close to the screen edge (the right edge in my experiment), the submenus are off the screen, but if you move the cursor toward the submenus, the entire submenu structure moves onto the screen so you can see everything.  It does work that way.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #21 on: 2013/01/14, 19:19:27 »
Yeah, finally realised that it works that way. Did not get that before, because I am not "used to" move my mouse cursor towards an "invisible" submenu, and I think that belongs on the visible screen and should not open outside the edge. Yes, in e17 several things work different... :-)
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #22 on: 2013/01/15, 00:01:17 »
Just another one different: Alt+F4 changes to Desktop4 and is not closing the application. But of cause you can configure this shortkey - as everything if you know where to do that. I found it, but I don't know if I will find the place the next time. You can even configure how the config options are shown. In basic mode some suboptions are not shown. And every module has its own config-module, which you can choose to not load. Then you will certainly search that specific option to configure an eternal time.

I just shreddered my virtualbox Bodhi-Enlightenment by choosing "opengl" compositing. In Virtualbox with virtualbox-guest-extension only software compositing is possible. I don't know how to get to a cli-console to disable opengl mode, because Ctrl-Alt-F2 is fetched by my host system.

Offline der_bud

• User
Reset comp
« Reply #23 on: 2013/01/15, 08:14:44 »
...Ctrl-Alt-F2 is fetched by my host system.

In Virtualbox-Systems try Host-F2 instead, so if you set your vb-"Host"-key to be right AltGr, use AltGr+Anykey for any Ctrl-Alt-Combination.

And from the Arch-Wiki-E17:
Code: [Select]
Composite provides the more stable module and is supported on most hardware through either OpenGL or compositing software rendering. When the configuration is messed up and the settings windows can no longer be approached, configuration for the comp module can be reset by the hardcoded keybinding Ctrl + Alt + Shift + Home.
As a last resort
Code: [Select]
backup ~/.e and remove it (e.g. mv ~/.e ~/.e.back).

Offline ralul

• User
Reset comp
« Reply #24 on: 2013/01/18, 14:09:50 »
@der_bud, very thanks - I had forgotten this Host-F2 key.

I had to delete the old /home/user, because obviously E17 saves its configuration in a binary format. Manipulating a Kde ini files, which is dumb text, is not that a problem.
Inspecting my profile I observed a hundreds instances of ever the same config files. Seemingly a bug not deleting the old when I tried all of that possibilities with E17 configuration.

I expect this kind of bug in a version 1.0. I will consider E17 seriously if their developer team manages to release bug maintainance releases in a manner Kde does this in reliable time frames ...

If they do:
E17 is a very strong contender to all other desktop environments!!!

Although Bodhis Enlightenment-1 has some very useful ready to go profiles I miss some like:
- EnlightenmentProfileForNewbieComingFromUnity
- EnlightenmentProfileForNewbieComingFromKde
which could easening the first steps by configuring most as the user has been used to (eg: Alt-F4)

Offline convbsd

• User
RE: Reset comp
« Reply #25 on: 2013/01/19, 07:07:25 »
Hi,
I think that Bodhi should be a start point for a siduction E17.
If someone want to help for a siduction E17 he/she must study:
1)E17 settings
2) desktop-defaults, fll-live-initscripts, siduction-settings-$flavour and fll-installer packages.
After doing that it's needed to add:
1) E17 display manager ( it can be lightdm, slim... ) to fll-xdm script from fll-live-initscripts
2) E17 live settings to desktop-defaults-e17
3) E17 installed settings to siduction-settings-e17
It may be possible to be  needed to add some scripts to fll-installer package in fll-installer/backends to convert live iso to a regular debian install and maybe to do another things.
If someone want to start a E17 sidction i will try to help.
Thank you.

RAIDENSUB

« Reply #26 on: 2013/01/24, 15:00:07 »
I would also like the E17 version. The version in the repos is very old. I am not a developer but maybe i can help testing.

Offline agaida

• User
    • http://g-com.eu
« Reply #27 on: 2013/01/24, 19:34:35 »
@RAIDENSUB: Find two long term maintainers for the flavour and we are in the business ..
There's this special biologist word we use for "stable". It's "dead". ~ Jack Cohen

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #28 on: 2013/01/24, 20:23:53 »
As convbsd listed hopefully complete: quiet a bag to carry. A maintainer could begin with source debs from bodhi to have a high starting point.

But never ending: You can preconfigure nearly all with enlightenment. You can make a look alike unity or kde-active out of it, but performing better than the original. That could be fun for someone, many targets can be reached quiet easily and successfully.

But a never ending story ...of fun?
:)

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #29 on: 2013/01/25, 22:00:17 »
I just borked (compiled from git) my e17 1.7.5 , gonna start from scratch
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck