Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Whole disc uefi install  (Read 2502 times)

Offline titan

• User
[EN] Whole disc uefi install
« on: 2023/09/12, 17:41:25 »
It looks like if you select use whole disc when using the Calamares installer you get a mbr install. But looking at the Calamares installer website you need to boot the live iso in uefi mode and then select manual partition and you get the option to install on whole disc using a uefi bios, is that correct or have I read it wrong

Online towo

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Whole disc uefi install
« Reply #1 on: 2023/09/12, 18:42:13 »
No, if you boot in EFI Mode, Calamares creates an ESP partition and one for /, if you select swap, then you get a swap partition too.
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2023/09/12, 21:44:41 »
Is this if you select "use whole disc" or the "manual partition" option so the difference is determined by what boot option you choose for live iso

Online towo

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2023/09/12, 21:50:40 »
Sorry, i can't follow you.

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2023/09/12, 23:14:47 »
Sorry, I just did a new install and selected use whole disc, I didn't see any option to use uefi. But I have since read you need to boot the live iso as uefi ( I had two options) The Calamares installer site says you need to boot ISO in UEFI and use the manual partitioning option to be able to install the new OS as uefi boot. The siduction manual has no mention of this. You seem to be saying if the live ISO is booted in UEFI mode then use whole disc option gives a uefi option install plus swap and /

Online towo

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #5 on: 2023/09/12, 23:20:08 »
You have to do nothing in calamares for efi, if the iso is bootet in efi mode. calamares wil create an ESP automatic, if you choose "whole disc".

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2023/09/18, 10:48:19 »
I think that it woul be useful if the manual added  that if you want a ESP install the live media needs to be booted in UEFI mode. This was not obvious to me  but then my last install was in 2017.