Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] upgrade versus dist-upgrade - latest advice?  (Read 1979 times)

krisbee

[EN] upgrade versus dist-upgrade - latest advice?
« on: 2021/02/16, 10:39:40 »
The newly released KDE C-blues iso installs both "synaptic package manger" and "discover" with update notification.  So when is it safe to upgrade via these apps as opposed to using dist-upgrade after a systemctl isolate?

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
Re: upgrade versus dist-upgrade - latest advice?
« Reply #1 on: 2021/02/16, 11:00:00 »
Well, I  don't use the synaptic package manager nor discover. I go with, and this is recommended on unstable/sid, apt update; apt full-upgrade: and all while logt in graphical,  on the desktop (kde/plasma/kf5).
I did not run in problems for a long time.

Why not using that graphical tools?

Because this is debian unstable, and they are made for a stable distribution because of handling the problem solver, it works much better with a command line tools like apt!

With synaptic or discover you will run into problems, sooner or later.

You can use them for searching a program, but install it with apt!
« Last Edit: 2021/02/16, 11:04:55 by hendrikL »

Offline unklarer

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2021/02/16, 12:36:02 »
Quote from: hendrikL
You can use them for searching a program, but install it with apt!

+100 !   :)

krisbee

« Reply #3 on: 2021/02/16, 12:47:34 »
I was inclined to purge both those apps and stick to using apt in the CLI  just wondered why they were par t of the new iso.  I did notice a message from synaptic when installing or upgrading packages along the lines of  " no out of date blah blah. in current session"

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2021/02/16, 14:44:51 »
I use Discover for updates in Buster without issue so far, about a year since install. I would never use it in siduction as it doesn't show messages so you wouldn't know to abort upgrade when it is about to remove loads of packages and wreck the system.
Always do dist-upgrade (or full-upgrade) in siduction.

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #5 on: 2021/02/16, 17:49:21 »
There is a good reason NOT to use upgrade on a sid system -- you will not install the new packages when they are introduced. New packages are introduced for a reason, and you will eventually have a damaged system.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2021/02/16, 21:35:17 »
Synaptic is there for historic reasons as a handy search tool, like hendrikL and other already said. Earlier, siduction defaulted to not install "recommends" with apt, and it was quite useful to look what some package suggests or recommands if one noticed lack of full fuctionality. Synaptics is easier for that than always scrolling through apt show $foo.

Discover is a relative new KDE app in Plasma, and while it could be used to upgrade the system, it is meant more like an app store (or so I have read in some magazines, didn't try yet). It could be used for example to get workplace themes, icon sets, dolphin services, kate plugins and such things in one central place, and access store.kde.org. Also it should be able to handle snap and flatpak stuff. I've read that it became better over time, and perhaps one day I might try it ;)
« Last Edit: 2021/02/16, 21:38:48 by der_bud »
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.