Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [SOLVED] increase number of virtual desktops in lxqt  (Read 5473 times)

anamesa

Hello,

1. I recently installed siduction (last version, end of the year 2017, lxqt flavor), and I am very pleased in all by the speed and performance. There is one problem though: I cannot find a way to increase the default number of virtual desktops in lxqt, currently 2, after installation. Messing with settings etc, there is only the possibility of choosing the number of rows for the appearance of the existing virtual desktops, but not their number. I΄ve taken a quick look at the ῀/.config files in ῀/.config/lxqt/ and could not find something relevant.
Is there a way to increase the default number of virtual desktops in lxqt? Is there any program that could do it for me?

2. Another minor problem is that in the keyboard shortcuts settings I cannot ascribe the ¨win¨ (Super) key to any keyboard shortcut. Is there a way to bypass this behavior, since in other desktop flavors the ¨win¨key can be used for shorcuts.

(und wie ist der Name für ¨virtual desktop¨ auf Deutsch, vielleicht ¨virtuelles Desktop¨ oder ähnliches, so dass ich auch im deutschsprachigen Forum suche?)
« Last Edit: 2018/01/14, 23:41:48 by anamesa »

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: increase number of virtual desktops in lxqt
« Reply #1 on: 2018/01/14, 15:40:13 »
1. Virtual Desktops - LXQt has nothing to do with it - it is a WM thing. Depending on your installed WM (xfwm4 i guess) it can be set via xfwm4-workplace-settings or in the control center - in German "Arbeitsflächen"

2. Superkey handling is not implemented yet - https://github.com/lxde/lxqt-globalkeys/pull/62 - feel free to apply and test it, if all of my tests will work well and without regressions i will merge it as is - and it will be in LXQt 0.12.1 which is expected in the next few weeks

EDIT: Before i forget - for the brave there is an repository @ https://lxqt.debian.net - well tested (ok, mostly it compiles), sane (at least in the last few weeks it don't killed any kitten) and reliable (until the next dependency change break it) - this is my development repository, not strictly limited to git (thats the place where i put upstream pull requests first before merging them upstream) 8)
« Last Edit: 2018/01/14, 15:45:31 by melmarker »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

anamesa

« Reply #2 on: 2018/01/14, 16:41:12 »
Thank you for the quick and prompt answer.

1. Yes, you΄re right, virtual desktops is a WM thing. Anyway the settings in LXQt Configuration Center don΄t let me do anything with it and I had thougt that I could have done it via the virtual desktop applet of the panel, but there is no such setting there. Now I see there is a /usr/share/xfwm4/default file, which I΄ll try to copy in a ῀/.config/xfwm4 folder (the folder doesn΄t exist), and see what I can do with it. If I fail, I΄ll come back. Anyway, I could not find anything like xfwm4-workplace-settings in the filesystem, but there is a setting for ¨workspace_count¨ in above mentioned ¨default¨ file.

2. The Superkey issue is minor, and since I΄m not brave, I΄ll just wait for a possible future integration of this key to the acceptable ones for shortcuts :)

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #3 on: 2018/01/14, 17:21:36 »
xfwm4: /usr/bin/xfwm4-workspace-settings
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

anamesa

« Reply #4 on: 2018/01/14, 17:39:37 »
So, it was so simple... :) Thank you again for the clue.