Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Can't login - banned  (Read 2230 times)

cliff6057

[EN] Can't login - banned
« on: 2021/04/21, 02:08:39 »
While I'm not sure this is software related, I do need some help.  On March 26 I started a thread here in software regarding the autoremoving of kernels.  I mention this for the date only.   This under the user name of cliff6056.  About a week ago, I became unable to login to the forum using that account, being banned for what appears to be 4 or 500 attempts to login within 7 days.  Obviously something nefarious going on, probably from my system? 

I registered a new account in an effort to elicit some help from an admin or someone more knowledgeable than this "user skilled person".  Note I have installed and ran ClamAV.  I use Chrome, Firefox, and Vivaldi as browsers, and am now  using Bitwarden as a login manager. 

While this new account is working at present, I can't tell if false attempts are being made with the new credentials.  Does any admins have the ability to check?  Any other thoughts or help appreciated. 

Cliff

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Can't login - banned
« Reply #1 on: 2021/04/21, 08:50:01 »
Hi Cliff,

I saw your message on IRC after you were gone and checked for a user named clliff6056 and came up empty. So nothing to see there. Please let us know if anything similar comes up. Usually, if you just sit on IRC for a little longer, someone will answer.

Offline cliff6056

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2021/04/25, 02:39:30 »
Thanks devil.  While I'm not actually positive yet, I believe my problem might be from my Windscribe VPN.  Perhaps it was pinging out to check latency or something.  While I was not aware at the time of the original post, or didn't realise, Google was also telling me of suspicious behaviour and making me pick out fire hydrants or crosswalks to prove I was a person. 

So after hours of clamscans and just before reloading my computer this morning, I disabled the VPN, and ceased to get the Google warning.  At this time I seem to be able to use the VPN as long as I don't enable any of the blocking feature for ads, malware,  cryptominers etc.  So far so good.

Thanks for your reply and offer of assistance by yourself or someone, but I couldn't Iog in to post.  I think I am now banned under every email I have, by trying to get into the forum for help.  I did manage to get back in by changing the password of my original account, hoping things are cured. 

Cliff

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2021/04/30, 15:09:55 »
I even have the 'suspicious behavior' with Google without VPN at least once per week and have no idea why. All I know is, it sucks big time. Other than that I hope your problem is solved.