Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] siduction at distrowatch.com  (Read 7038 times)

Offline bluelupo

• User
    • BluelupoMe
[EN] siduction at distrowatch.com
« on: 2013/11/24, 19:55:59 »
Hi siduction community,
siduction drops DistroWatch ranked 98th We soon fall out of the rankings. Gets times but the website and selects our distribution, so that we come back to the top.  8)

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: siduction at distrowatch.com
« Reply #1 on: 2013/11/24, 20:15:35 »
its not all about the ranking on distrowatch, but next week we will have a review page :D - an if some users will click on siduction/distrowatch - we will get a few more clicks. Hmm - if it help to get a few new users, that will be ok for me :)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Online michaa7

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2013/11/26, 14:07:46 »
sidux all the time was ranking between 20 and 30, near to 20 most of the time. A rank which siduction, aptosid and semplice until recently occupied when you sumed up the clicks per day of these three (debian-sid-plugin-) distributions (BTW, there is a newone, although not 100%sid, but nontheless fishing in the neighborhood: http://www.vk-informatica.com/wakawa_mate_en.php).

You cannot divide a cake in three(+) pieces and hope to get a piece just as big as the whole cake. And as the whole usually is more than the sum of its pieces, it is easy enough to figure what that means for the single pieces when you invert the calculation. Today you can see that the sum of all pieces is far less than the whole once was.

And as fact-bound as possible: there is no worse promotion than announce something for a long time but not delivering it. This is so evident that hopefully noone feels offended by this fact being spoken out which here happens solely in view of the occasion (ranking-pushing).
« Last Edit: 2013/11/26, 15:14:01 by michaa7 »
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline michaaa62

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2013/11/26, 16:11:36 »
There also is no value at all to have the same people discuss in german and english subforum.

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #4 on: 2013/11/26, 16:43:07 »
There also is no value at all to have the same people discuss in german and english subforum.

I don't agree.  If bi-lingual people are willing to use their time to write the same material in both German and English, then our users who are only proficient in one of the languages will be able to read and understand what was written.  Nothing is lost but the time of the poster.    :)
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2013/11/28, 03:35:42 »
Well, tonight on DistroWatch, we seem to have gone up 20 points on the 7 day, and, we hit 99 on the 30 day. 

Visibility dude, visibility.  The ranking may not mean much, but, it's nice to let people know we exist.
Linux Counter number 348347

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2013/11/29, 12:10:04 »
A bit of-topic but to connect to micha7 and his comments to promises not delivered. I don't really now about siductions promises any more as I can't find a main site except the forum site anymore. But as before and still for aptosid to promise to deliver 4 releases a year and not doing that for a very long time is not very good, much better would be to take away that promise and write something else.

What I would like is to have a introduction to siduction which in a very good way present the benefits of an rolling dist, (I know there is a short one in the beginning of the manual). This completed with a much better instruction in how to change the old installation to the new one when a new release is comming, because after a long time there are differences between a fresh installation and a old one fully upgraded. The difference is not only in the look.

I suggest some sort of script witch after a new release will with user interaction (yes or no) change the look and possible other things to match the newest release if its possible.

About the distrowatch, ranking and also the bi-language forum I also have my thoughts.

When sidux started and there was a lot of people in the forum, english speaking forum, I thought ohh, this could be something great, a new big os that would grow and grow. Much discussions on the forum, not all about the os and linux but about everything. It looked promising. And yes in one aspect it was very good, I still use the children of sidux in all the computers I administrates, so in that way it's a success. But the forum and the quality and fun discussions are gone, the most funny discussions is probably in German and as for me it could be completely separated from the English forum, I only feel outside when I see a long German thread in the news or upgrade warning sections.

The dividing from Kanotix, (sidux, aptosid) and siduction is understandable this happens and yes that will probably make less people in each forum although some of us still are on more than one of them occasionally. I feel like this about it, the intentions of the developers of siduction and also aptosid are probably not (any longer) to make a big new linux os for the whole world, maybe they are doing a distro for them selves, they do what they like to do and what they like to use and if others are joining and helping thats good, but the ranking on distrowatch is probably not that important for them.

The result for me is still the best linux dist off all, siduction or aptosid doesn't matter really, but the forum has gone from being a fun site to visit to something I do a quick check before d-u and not so much more on, i can live with that as long as I get the dist.

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2013/11/29, 12:47:30 »
@vilde
the long threads are mostly boring newby tutorials. Personal support for a new generation so to speak.

But there was another very long thread in german about personal-data versus terrorism half a year long. Before Snowden, quiet interesting! I changed my mind in the turnout: Firstly I was unimpressed, because I thought if we fight for better laws against data-mining of corprorations and Nsa - then there will be another 9-11 and all of that laws will be hair-cutted again (saving lives etc). But now I think this is probably the last and only chance to block enslavement of humankind. There won't be another Snowden in the future anymore. And the chains of us slaves will be tougher than the old breakable irons: of mental nature.
« Last Edit: 2013/11/29, 12:56:12 by ralul »
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2013/11/30, 00:26:23 »
But there was another very long thread in german about personal-data versus terrorism half a year long. Before Snowden, quiet interesting! I changed my mind in the turnout: Firstly I was unimpressed, because I thought if we fight for better laws against data-mining of corprorations and Nsa - then there will be another 9-11 and all of that laws will be hair-cutted again (saving lives etc). But now I think this is probably the last and only chance to block enslavement of humankind. There won't be another Snowden in the future anymore. And the chains of us slaves will be tougher than the old breakable irons: of mental nature.
Thats the kind of discussion I miss but also can live without. Thank you for answering ralul